G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

are bolt ons worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 03:25 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bkjoseph25
Can we all just agree that "fast" is a matter of perspective.
this right here.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mean it. I just had this conversation with someone I work it. He drives a 700hp supercharged camero. Long story short, he considers almost anything slower than his car slow. I have a few other friends that don't drive anything special that thinks my car is fast. I don't think my car is anything special because I used to own a chipped gti that was just a fast and handled way better. That's what I mean by perspective. The average car on the road is slower than a g. Does that make it fast?

Old 02-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by PhoenixG35
i pushed carts at Walmart? i think u must have me mistaken for someone else man...
Not you, kwidgyboohoo

Old 02-15-2016, 10:36 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
The G35 wasn't even fast by the standards at the time it came out back at the end of 2002, so surely it won't be fast by today's standards some 14'ish years later. It was considered quick back then, but certainly not fast.... a car most people bought because it was a mix of a whole bunch of great things in one car that was pretty good at everything but not really amazing at any one thing except for maybe looks and exhaust sound.

I bought mine brand new back in April '04 and coming from a 1990 Nissan 240SX the G35 felt a lot faster but nothing that impressive considering friends of mine all had Mustangs, various GM F-body's, and a few modded WRX's that were much faster.

I wouldn't suggest going out and spending a ton of money on bolt-ons with the expectation of worthy returns. Do the simple and relatively cheap stuff like a Z-tube, plenum spacer, and Serpentine belt idler-pulley delete since those are all improvements that cost very little in the grand scheme of things but have some benefits. You could do all of those for about $250 if you install them yourself. Exhaust is obviously a nice thing to have but unless you go with high flow cats and a tune, you won't get a lot of actual power from exhaust mods.... and certainly not in any sort of a cash/performance bargain.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:51 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Get past 4k, bro.
Why don't you actually post something of relevance to your statement. I'm still waiting to hear how a stock G35 is such a fast car.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Why don't you actually post something of relevance to your statement. I'm still waiting to hear how a stock G35 is such a fast car.
First of all I'm not saying its a "fast car". A corvette is a fast car, a porsche gt3rs is a fast car. I'm saying learn how to drive a G35 and you will NOT be losing to a Genesis 2.0t or any other cars on his list of cars that he claims are faster. You won't even lose to a wrx unless it's an sti. Even then you may beat him if your ***** are bigger.

Yeah, if you're afraid to push the pedel to the floor and think going past 3500 rpms isnt ok, then you'll lose to a scion tc. My point is merely this: learn to drive it and you'll figure out its potential. I promise you there's no way I'm losing to any of the cars he's listed.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:20 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Meh I bought the car (coupe) for its sleek-ish look and nice exhaust note. That's about it really

Old 02-16-2016, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
Meh I bought the car (coupe) for its sleek-ish look and nice exhaust note. That's about it really
Very odd reason to buy/keep/sink money into a car indeed. It's definitely no 60s SL gullwing or anything. There are plenty o cars that hold the distinction that you have described and cost half as much to mod/maintain.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:46 AM
Banned
Very odd reason to buy/keep/sink money into a car indeed. It's definitely no 60s SL gullwing or anything. There are plenty o cars that hold the distinction that you have described and cost half as much to mod/maintain.
I'm a very odd dude. Like I think led zeppelin is like you know talented and schtuff

Old 02-16-2016, 07:10 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Not odd reasons at all. As I mentioned above, those are two of the things that really stood out to me about this car. Obviously a smart person wouldn't buy a car if that was the only thing it had going for it, but the G had a 6MT, awesome Brembo brakes, leather interior, side-impact airbags, 4 seats, 18" rims, decent power, not terrible fuel economy, motor design with a history of reliability, good factory warranty, sunroof, heated seats, dual-zone climate control, navigation system (optional), 6-disc in dash Bose sound system. That's a lot of nice stuff all in one car that is sporty, relatively quick and great looking for about $34-38K at the time.

I wanted a Z but they were too much money for what the options were that they offered in that car and the G offered all the same stuff and like 5x more with the same power output and for almost the same price as a decently equipped Z plus a slightly better warranty and the G Coupes were more rare than 350Zs.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:29 AM
Banned
Ha not trying to bicker with anyone
It's too early for that. I still remember the day I saw my first G ha
I was sold and went full fangirl

Old 02-16-2016, 08:54 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts

I love every kind of G

Old 02-17-2016, 03:18 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
Haha no they're not. That's a forum myth perpetuated by the late whosurbuddy. Complete bullshit. The video he posted where a Camry beat a G was dogma in the first degree. A built Camry vs a stock G with a shitty driver.

Also, kwidgyboohoo, if you can't make this car go fast, you don't have any business driving a car. No ones saying this car is winning the trans am or le mans, but it is definitely capeable of being a competitor. BTW, as much as I know about you strictly from the g35 forum world, please extrapolate on your "race car" experience..? Please tell us allllll the experience you have driving so many other "fast cars". ...aaaannnnd go...!

(BTW, I remember you saying you bought your car by saving your paychecks from pushing carts at Walmart, so don't try to BS anyone into thinking you've owned any super cars up in here). Not trying to call you out, just trying to realize your ACTUAL driving experience vs what your dad told you about "way back when".
Yes I did buy my car pushing carts at Wal-Mart which is why I have a G35 instead of something faster.

As far as fast cars driven/ridden in: 05 GTO modded with 400+ hp, 68 Chevelle with a 454 500ish crank hp, 78 Camaro with a 372 small block that may not have been as fast as it felt since I was riding in it at 7, and rode along in an 87 Trans Am drag car.

Originally Posted by Frostbite91
The G isn't bad. Its a hell of a fun car on the highway and twisty roads, but it isn't necessarily"fast." Yes it's quicker than most other cars on the road, but I do know my 91 Dodge Daytona Shelby edition was quicker (although it didnt have the same top speed) but it may have had a 5th injector, bigger turbo, and trans kit installed....... I'm diggin my G though
^This

Old 02-17-2016, 03:24 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
Also a challenger SRT scat pack and ridden in an evo X with some **** done to it

Old 02-19-2016, 02:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So what car is faster than the g that costs roughly the same price?
A lot going on here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: are bolt ons worth it?