G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

are bolt ons worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 03:52 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMswagSerf
So what car is faster than the g that costs roughly the same price?
A lot going on here.
Let's assume you're talking stock cars and not including modifications...

Also keep in mind that it depends what year G you're talking about. The price range for a G35/37 varies wildly from '03 to '13 and also based on condition and mileage.

Also, the term "Faster" is very vague. Faster how?....
0-60?... Quarter Mile on a drag strip?... Top Speed?.. Rolling highway race?

If you're talking about just what cars are generally "faster" in a straight line for say under $12-13K for a used vehicle, the list is a mile long. Start off looking at things like any Mustang trim GT or higher in the 2000+ era, pretty much any year 98+ Chevy car with an LS motor(Camaro, Trans-Am, GTO, Caddy sport trims, etc), any used WRX STI, most Lancer Evolutions, most Dodge sports cars with a V8+, any Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4/Stealth RT Turbo, a whole bunch of Audi S-series, a several older BMW's, and a whole bunch of other more semi-modern cars in general.

The G35/G37 is a heavy car. The motor itself puts out respectable power by today's standards, but that body weight holds it back a lot. Compared to just about any modern V6 or V8, the G35 (not G37) is pretty average in terms of actual acceleration. The G is pretty aerodynamic though and has a fairly respectable top speed in comparison to your typical boxy modern V6 sedan.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:29 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66

Also keep in mind that it depends what year G you're talking about. The price range for a G35/37 varies wildly from '03 to '13 and also based on condition and mileage.

If you're talking about just what cars are generally "faster" in a straight line for say under $12-13K for a used vehicle, the list is a mile long. Start off looking at things like any Mustang trim GT or higher in the 2000+ era, pretty much any year 98+ Chevy car with an LS motor(Camaro, Trans-Am, GTO, Caddy sport trims, etc), any used WRX STI, most Lancer Evolutions, most Dodge sports cars with a V8+, any Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4/Stealth RT Turbo, a whole bunch of Audi S-series, a several older BMW's, and a whole bunch of other more semi-modern cars in general.

The G35/G37 is a heavy car. The motor itself puts out respectable power by today's standards, but that body weight holds it back a lot. Compared to just about any modern V6 or V8, the G35 (not G37) is pretty average in terms of actual acceleration. The G is pretty aerodynamic though and has a fairly respectable top speed in comparison to your typical boxy modern V6 sedan.
Sorry I should've been more specific. I was referring to fast as 1/4 mile on a strip and was referring to the 03-06 models in prices of $8k-$10k.

I have been told an older 5 series 6 spd bmw('99-'02?) would spank a g35 in the years I mentioned.
I just can't seem to accept that.

That is a long list you mentioned. I did not think there were that many competitors for the g35 in the area of $/speed.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:35 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa..wtf? Anyone with one ******** should be able to beat a Mustang GT all the way up to 2010. The 3kgt literally has the SAME EXACT 0-60. Also, an 03-13 FM chassis Nissan has very minimal difference in performance (straight line, from a dig or otherwise). They made a few good tweaks, but the difference between 5.5 sec 0-60 and 5.4 sec 0-60 is extremely minimal (04 6mt coupe and 09 G37 6mt coupe respectively).

This is exactly why I have a problem with people calling the G slow; ya'll love to list cars that are literally slower than the G. Like, no 98 Chevy is faster than the G except the vette..the ls1 camaro would be a driver's race. Wanna talk about weight? The camaro is WAY heavier than the G.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:58 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
this is turning into another "skyline badge" thread

Old 02-19-2016, 05:13 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
this is turning into another "skyline badge" thread
Let the kid feel good about himself. Im not even gonna bother arguing. The g is super duper trooper fast duuudeee . You win.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:17 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Whoa whoa whoa..wtf? Anyone with one ******** should be able to beat a Mustang GT all the way up to 2010. The 3kgt literally has the SAME EXACT 0-60. Also, an 03-13 FM chassis Nissan has very minimal difference in performance (straight line, from a dig or otherwise). They made a few good tweaks, but the difference between 5.5 sec 0-60 and 5.4 sec 0-60 is extremely minimal (04 6mt coupe and 09 G37 6mt coupe respectively).

This is exactly why I have a problem with people calling the G slow; ya'll love to list cars that are literally slower than the G. Like, no 98 Chevy is faster than the G except the vette..the ls1 camaro would be a driver's race. Wanna talk about weight? The camaro is WAY heavier than the G.
Nope. 8 times out of 10 a Mustang wins that race in a straight line when both are stock unless the Stang driver is a complete tard or has something wrong with their car. Seen it happen at the strip plenty of times. G's usually get destroyed in 1/3 mile banked oval single lap circle track racing too because they are too heavy fast enough off the line. Wish I could say it wasn't true. Anytime I see a G35 on a race track or strip, I get excited and am almost always disappointed and borderline shameful of the outcome.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Swag badge

Old 02-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Siciliang35
Let the kid feel good about himself. Im not even gonna bother arguing. The g is super duper trooper fast duuudeee . You win.
eh people are just viewing it in two different lights.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
eh people are just viewing it in two different lights.
Totally agree, because all those cars listed weren't considered slow when they were released. In fact I think most of those were all the fastest in their segment. Plus I don't know where you can find Sti or Evo for the same year and price as a used g35. If so, I fcked up.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:31 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Gut the interior and slap a 75 shot of nitrous in it. There, now ur G is fast enough for you.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:50 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
are bolt ons worth it?

I have a hard time seeing a modular Mustang gt being faster than the G... I borrowed an 01 5spd and it wasn't the same, plus handling isn't there. they're rated at 260hp and some 285ish rwtq. for the 05+ they got a horsepower bump but they gave up the diet and gained some major weight. either was it doesn't matter. If you're buying a car or modding it to specifically beat a certain car or other engines, it's all for the wrong reasons and it's time to give up the man card. be proud of what you have. Most cars from the same era look like shiiitt

Old 02-19-2016, 04:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I hit 273 whp and 281 torque with bolts on + tune
Art Pipes, 5/16 plenum spacers, tdx2, and a nismo CAI

Old 02-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
i dont recall many 6 cyl cars in 03 making more than 280 hp.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:12 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Whoa whoa whoa..wtf? Anyone with one ******** should be able to beat a Mustang GT all the way up to 2010.
No, they wouldn't. Initial acceleration is very similar but those particular GT's are faster.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:44 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
No, they wouldn't. Initial acceleration is very similar but those particular GT's are faster.
Hmm..you got one ********..? I beat shitstains allll the time. Ihdgaf, I fukc all these cars up on the street on the regs. #secretrace

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: are bolt ons worth it?