G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Bye to my G35, hello G37

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Justice06RR
I guess I'll be upgrading to the 09 M3 couple in a couple of years then..if the G37 is not much more powerful than the G35.
Do you ride streetbikes?.... guessing by your username.

I do as well, and I've pretty much relegated the thrill of speed and acceleration to the sportbikes since nothing you do to any relatively affordable car (by typical American standards), is going to make it anywhere near as exhilarating as the vicious surge of acceleration a modern 1000CC sport bike can give for $8-15K, and all of those legit go-fast mods on cars generally lead to reduced reliability or longevity.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure the seat and your pants were totaled as well. That tire had to be scary as hell.

Grats on the new ride- looks good

Old 11-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
Do you ride streetbikes?.... guessing by your username.

I do as well, and I've pretty much relegated the thrill of speed and acceleration to the sportbikes since nothing you do to any relatively affordable car (by typical American standards), is going to make it anywhere near as exhilarating as the vicious surge of acceleration a modern 1000CC sport bike can give for $8-15K, and all of those legit go-fast mods on cars generally lead to reduced reliability or longevity.
Yes, I've been riding for a decade now. Started on a Honda 600RR doing trackdays, sold that, now I just ride the street with an 04R1. The hooliganism and speeding is mostly done on the bike, and I just cruise and enjoy the G35. I'm used to the power of a 10-second sportbike, so any car that has 400hp or less is "slow" to me.

I've planned to keep the G mostly stock and will try to drive it until it has 200k miles or I get tired of it. I always thought that the G37 coupe is a nice upgrade, but even now that is looking a little dated. Its still a very nice car though.

I did see the new Q60 coupe on the street yesterday and must say it looked badass.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:50 PM
Yes, I've been riding for a decade now. Started on a Honda 600RR doing trackdays, sold that, now I just ride the street with an 04R1. The hooliganism and speeding is mostly relegated on the bike, and I mostly cruise and enjoy the G35. I'm used to the power of a 10-second sportbike, so any car that has 400hp is "slow" to me.

I've planned to keep the G mostly stock and will try to drive it until it has 200k miles or I get tired of it. I always thought that the G37 coupe is a nice upgrade, but even now that is looking a little dated. Its still a very nice car though.

I did see the new Q60 coupe on the street yesterday and must say it looked badass.
Nice... R1 here too. Mine's a 2012 crossplane R1.

I drive my G35 slow as ***** on the public roads and same thing with the Tacoma. As for the any high power car feeling slow in comparison to the bike.... my GF got me a pass to one of those Drive-A-Lambo track events last summer and I got to drive a Gallardo around both a small technical and also a slightly larger track, and it really did feel EXTREMELY slow in comparison to the surge of power from even just my SV1000, nevermind the R1. I think you almost need about an 800 HP car to match that kind of pull even an older liter bike gives you, but since I've never been in an 800 HP car, I can only speculate based off of races I've seen on youtube.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:00 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
Nice... R1 here too. Mine's a 2012 crossplane R1.

I drive my G35 slow as ***** on the public roads and same thing with the Tacoma. As for the any high power car feeling slow in comparison to the bike.... my GF got me a pass to one of those Drive-A-Lambo track events last summer and I got to drive a Gallardo around both a small technical and also a slightly larger track, and it really did feel EXTREMELY slow in comparison to the surge of power from even just my SV1000, nevermind the R1. I think you almost need about an 800 HP car to match that kind of pull even an older liter bike gives you, but since I've never been in an 800 HP car, I can only speculate based off of races I've seen on youtube.
How do you like the your R1? I don't particularly like the way it looks (I prefer the 04-08) but I hear they are amazing bikes. I've ridden GSXR1000's and Hayabusa's as well and those are hella fast.

There are some fast cars out there such as GTR's and 911 Turbo S with ~600hp that can keep up with sportbikes or even go faster; both of those cars are capable of sub 3-second 0-60 times. But the problem is that they cost $100k or more.

I think used 09 GTR's are around $55k now, and if I was spending that much money on a 'fast' car I'd buy a used GTR over the new Q60.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:30 PM
How do you like the your R1? I don't particularly like the way it looks (I prefer the 04-08) but I hear they are amazing bikes. I've ridden GSXR1000's and Hayabusa's as well and those are hella fast.

There are some fast cars out there such as GTR's and 911 Turbo S with ~600hp that can keep up with sportbikes or even go faster; both of those cars are capable of sub 3-second 0-60 times. But the problem is that they cost $100k or more.

I think used 09 GTR's are around $55k now, and if I was spending that much money on a 'fast' car I'd buy a used GTR over the new Q60.
I love it. It's a 50'th Anv. Edition classic Yamaha racing paint job, one of those 1 of 200 type deals with an individually numbered placard on the tank so it gets a lot of positive attention from people who are familiar with the heritage of motorcycle racing. The exhaust sound is freaking amazing through a catless system and Akro carbon cans.... and it's really easy to ride with plenty of power all over the RPM range. The stock clutch sucks though and is not very smooth when cold from a dig. It's an easy fix though with about $50 worth of parts and about an hour or two of wrenching time. Handling and braking are top notch and it feels well-built. It's not as fast in the top end as some of the other liter bikes, but I don't use the bike for competitive purposes so it's fast enough for the road. I've never ridden a Busa or anything like that... just gixxers, and earlier gen R1's. I'd like to try out a BMW S1000RR sometime but don't see myself getting anything like that anytime soon since I'm still pretty infatuated with the R1.

My one biggest qualm is that it doesn't start worth crap when temps are below 50 degrees and the motor is stone cold. The colder it is, the worse. I can usually get it to start if I hold partial throttle while cranking, but If it's below 33, forget it.. it won't start at all no matter what I do. I've probably tried 75-80 different tuning adjustments with my Flashtune ECU bike-side tuner, and can't seem to find anything that fixes the cold-start issues. I am suspecting that it could possibly be an ethanol related water absorption issue due to the fuel pickup in the tank being down bottom of the tank, and the compression ratio being so high (12.7:1)... but that's tough to test since using ethanol-free race fuel would completely change the way the bike runs in general, so it won't really point directly to Ethanol if it does start in the cold while on that. It pisses me off because I try to extend the riding season as long as possible and will usually ride in temps as low as 12-15 degrees F so long as there's no snow or ice. My other bike (SV1000) starts like a champ no matter what the conditions. I've had that thing start on old gas on a 5 degree afternoon after not running in 4 months and it sparked to life like nothing, meanwhile the R1 won't start in 33 degree temps after sitting for half a day on fresh gas.

Even a 600 HP GTR loses to most liter bikes from a roll and by a decent amount. From everything I've seen, 800 HP in a gasoline-powered car seems to be about the equalizer. If you start mixing in high performance electric cars or hybrids, then that's a different story due to the gearing advantage and flat power delivery of electric motors.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.