G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Newbie needing advice on g35 i have my eye on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 03:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needing advice on g35 i have my eye on

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5984300316.html

above is the link to the g35 that I am interested in. Need advice if this would be a good buy. I have the money but would like to buy it for $6500. Im 18 and it will be my first car what do you guys think? any advice will be appreciated thank you.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:00 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
I think I'd pull the trigger on this one
The wheels alone are worth about 3k
Likewise id give him the $500 for the Bride seat too

Old 02-18-2017, 07:55 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
OP I'm with Jersey on this, buy it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd even pay him full asking price. But you're probably not going to like what I say next.

-Sell the Works for $3K.
-Then replace the wheels with some OEM Rays.
-Sell the Bride seat for between $6-800.
-Then sell the car for $7500.

That'll leave you with a little over $10K to buy a more appropriate car for a new driver. The G is NOT a good car for your first one, especially a high mileage one.

-Repairs are costly if you can't fix a lot of things yourself
-Gas mileage is terrible on these cars, even more so if driven hard
-Coupes have little usable space for more than 2 people
-A lot of high mileage G's have an issue with consuming way too much oil
-Insurance alone will kill you since you're 18, especially a coupe. This is true even if you are added
to your parent's policy.
-This particular car is way too low for a novice to even think learning about cars on and to drive daily.

It's an art actually to master this concept and takes quite a bit of behind the wheel time to figure out how to manage the challenges. Not trying to rain on your parade here but want to let you know what you'd be in for as a new owner. Plus on top of all that, you should have several thousand dollars in a savings account for emergency major repairs, unexpected expenses, etc. You could get a really good car for you under $8000 or less and then have at least a couple of thousand dollars to put towards college or whatever's next in your future. Just my .02...........

Old 02-18-2017, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
OP I'm with Jersey on this, buy it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd even pay him full asking price. But you're probably not going to like what I say next.

-Sell the Works for $3K.
-Then replace the wheels with some OEM Rays.
-Sell the Bride seat for between $6-800.
-Then sell the car for $7500.

That'll leave you with a little over $10K to buy a more appropriate car for a new driver. The G is NOT a good car for your first one, especially a high mileage one.

-Repairs are costly if you can't fix a lot of things yourself
-Gas mileage is terrible on these cars, even more so if driven hard
-Coupes have little usable space for more than 2 people
-A lot of high mileage G's have an issue with consuming way too much oil
-Insurance alone will kill you since you're 18, especially a coupe. This is true even if you are added
to your parent's policy.
-This particular car is way too low for a novice to even think learning about cars on and to drive daily.

It's an art actually to master this concept and takes quite a bit of behind the wheel time to figure out how to manage the challenges. Not trying to rain on your parade here but want to let you know what you'd be in for as a new owner. Plus on top of all that, you should have several thousand dollars in a savings account for emergency major repairs, unexpected expenses, etc. You could get a really good car for you under $8000 or less and then have at least a couple of thousand dollars to put towards college or whatever's next in your future. Just my .02...........
^^^^^

What he said

Buy a Honda for your first car and continue to save money

A high mileage G for a first vehicle is a very poor choice

Telcoman

Old 02-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Buy a Honda for your first car and continue to save money
A high mileage G for a first vehicle is a very poor choice
Telcoman
All logical ideas from everyone! However without all the headaches of buying and selling and buying again make your initial investment on a fun ride like a Mazda Miata. They're great to drive, easy to work on and parts (if you need 'em) aren't expensive. The Miata is the perfect first car and a great learning tool!
Gary

Old 02-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
The G is a great car, even if it is going to be your first. These cars aren't hard to work on. The key is doing your homework before turning a wrench. There is A LOT of information on these cars no matter which rabbit hole you go down. Yes, you could buy a Honda but, who likes living in a bland world (not me). The only thing I'd do would be to replace the rear bumper with a stock one or a charge speed rear end and put a mesh grill in the front bumper. There are many good looking high mileage Gs out there that look, sound, and run great. My coupe has over 97,000 miles and although these cars suffer from OCI issues I check my oil twice a week and top off if necessary. Bottom line, if you don't buy this car someone else will and they'll enjoy every minute of it.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:58 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
The G is a great car, even if it is going to be your first. These cars aren't hard to work on. The key is doing your homework before turning a wrench. There is A LOT of information on these cars no matter which rabbit hole you go down. Yes, you could buy a Honda but, who likes living in a bland world (not me). The only thing I'd do would be to replace the rear bumper with a stock one or a charge speed rear end and put a mesh grill in the front bumper. There are many good looking high mileage Gs out there that look, sound, and run great. My coupe has over 97,000 miles and although these cars suffer from OCI issues I check my oil twice a week and top off if necessary. Bottom line, if you don't buy this car someone else will and they'll enjoy every minute of it.
Yeah I disagree also with the above posters. Can't believe some of the posts by veteran posters here lately, ridiculous. These cars are not difficult or expensive to work on at all. Tons of tutorials here and videos to guide you.

If you can't DIY even the biggest job doesn't take more than 3-4 hours of labour unless you're doing engine swaps or rebuilds. The drivetrain is old school straight forward longitudinal mounted V6 with RWD, any mechanic can work on this car. Even a tranny/clutch/flywheel change is straight forward. There are endless supply of parts from many aftermarker supplier to fit any budget. Heck I see $40 rotors and $25 brake pads of decent quality for this car in the US. Just get the the car inspected preferably at an Infiniti dealer where they can tell you if the previous owners ever complained about oil consumption and what was done to rectify it. If there were never any complaints lodged you have a winner.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can give my .02 because I was 19 when I bought my G. It wasn't my first vehicle but it was my first car (Last vehicle was a Ford Explorer). Then I went on to modify it. I have to say they're not wrong about fuel economy and it is a little hard to justify a car like this. My insurance was brutal until I switched it. I was paying $250 a month when I purchased. On the flip side, I have never regretted buying mine, I would recommend it to anyone who loves to drive and wants something a little different. So, I don't have the numbers to back up the reason to buy it but I would just say it seems like a solid deal and everything else you'll figure out if you really want this car.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:52 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by NemesisGee
Yeah I disagree also with the above posters. Can't believe some of the posts by veteran posters here lately, ridiculous. Sure hope that's not directed at me. These cars are not difficult or expensive to work on at all. If he can't DIY you're way off here. I replaced my radiator and thermostat for a little over $100 and a local Firestone quoted me $691 for the same job. And that's about as basic a repair as they come. Tons of tutorials here and videos to guide you. If he doesn't have variety of the tools he would need to do basic work that's more than a couple of hundred dollars to procure them.

If you can't DIY even the biggest job doesn't take more than 3-4 hours of labour unless you're doing engine swaps or rebuilds. Once again that's $350-500 just in labor depending the repair shops hourly labor rate. The drivetrain is old school straight forward longitudinal mounted V6 with RWD, any mechanic can work on this car. Even a tranny/clutch/flywheel change is straight forward. Are you suggesting an 18 year old noob could replace a clutch himself? That's ridiculous. There are endless supply of parts from many aftermarker supplier to fit any budget. Heck I see $40 rotors and $25 brake pads of decent quality for this car in the US. Just get the the car inspected preferably at an Infiniti dealer where they can tell you if the previous owners ever complained about oil consumption and what was done to rectify it. If there were never any complaints lodged you have a winner.
See above in red. I stand by everything I said, I don't think it's a good idea and I think you're way off base leading this kid down the path to a pink cloud of hope this car is the car of his dreams. I wouldn't encourage my son to make this decision but I'd stand by him if he did because I could help him if he needed it.

But it's the OP's choice so I'm interested to see what comes of this post.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I bet that car burns a lot of oil by now. The owner seems pretty straightforward in his ad. Ask him about oil consumption.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
Yeah I know I had my mechanic check it and he said everything checked out and it drove well. Bought it today!

Old 02-21-2017, 12:10 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Congratulations and enjoy, we're here to help. By the way. I changed my left front lower ball joint myself. It wasn't hard just tedious.

Last edited by Mr. Brooks; 02-21-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:39 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by FJ206
Yeah I know I had my mechanic check it and he said everything checked out and it drove well. Bought it today!
Congrats. Drive safe and and responsibly and do research before you attempt to do anything to the car so you don't have to make your own mistakes to learn key lessons.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.