G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Bought & Built 06 G35 6mt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bought & Built 06 G35 6mt

The long story is a damn novel, so here's the short story:

Last year right after July 4th, my 08 G37s was totaled from a rear end collision with an 18 wheeler. Back got ****ed up, and bought this turd 06 G35 that has a built short block and greddy TT kit with fresh new rebuilt turbos for the low low. I hopped on the chance, thinking I knew enough to fix the $hit, but fuq I was wrong. Fast forward almost a year, and I'm STILL messing with this thing. It's one thing after another, literally.

The trunk was pushed in a good foot and a half. Smh

August, I picked her up in Florida. Named her Gina, cuz she's always trippin.

So update on the progress....

There's a terrible exhaust leak: passenger side down pipe flange is bent at a 12 degree angle, so it doesn't mate up right with the exhaust (discontinued AAM true dual 3" exhaust- winning). I'm debating whether or not i want to just re-weld a good flange on to replace the f*@&ed one, or if i want to cut it all off completely and go v-band. I'm thinking for ease of working on it or switching out exhaust later on, I'll just replace the single flange. The bolts broke because of it, and it was dangling...so now I have it metal ziptied in place until I can work out a deal with my homie on getting the welding done. The car is still throwing the codes p1084, p0507, p0037, and p0057 (all x2). I know that the p0507 can probably be eliminated by doing the idle re-learn procedure, but I think the problem is directly tied to the p1084 code- camshaft sensor bank 2 gone bad. Because of it, my idle is high, around 1.5k on average, but I can live with that. AFR is high too, idle is 14.3-15.6 fluctuating. Under load (throttle), most of the time it'll drop to 13.3 +/- 0.3 AFR unless I slowly ease into it; cruising speed it remains what idle AFR is. I've narrowed it down to the camshaft sensor down by the oil pan, the one that reads the flywheel. Still have yet to order it, but I have to find out what the serial number for it is. The coolant expansion reservoir was originally some milk jug lookin a$$ cheap piece of sh*#, replaced that with a 20oz stainless steel one that I relocated in the front fender in front of the passenger wheel. I have to relocate it because I found out that due to it's position, it's sucking minute amounts of air into the coolant system, which explains the overheating problem. Replaced bank 1 camshaft sensor, and that got rid of the sputtering acceleration (thank god). However, now, I have to figure out why I'm only hitting wastegate pressure and not going the full 12 psi it was tuned for. Like I said before, I'm not too knowledgeable on turbo systems, so it's a learning process for me at the same time. Originally I thought it was a boost leak, but it would peg higher, then settle back down to 5psi (which is all I see in any gear under any position of the throttle when in boost). Going to a friends this weekend to use his boost leak tester to see if it's that, or if it's just me not knowing how to use the greddy boost controller that I have (profec B spec II- still learning how to use that properly). I got a set of whiteline differential bushings, but that's going to go on once the powertrain problems are solved and the codes are gone. Also, I think the...camshaft solenoid actuator? I dunno what it's called, but it's the solenoid actuators that control the pressure/oil going to the cylinders...one is replaced, but the other looks old af, and I think has gone bad...like I said, idle is high, around 1.5k rpm. during stop and go traffic, whenever I depress the clutch, as long as I'm holding it, it'll seek like a vacuum leak from 1.2k to 1.8k rpm, but will settle out immediately back to 1.5k when I let off the clutch. Not too sure, but I still have to figure that one out. Hopefully it's just the tune...

Then off to Z1 for a retune to get rid of this sh*@ty one. I'll get to harass Jon in person. Again.

*UPDATE MARCH 2017* all is fixed, but now the bank 2 intake cam solenoid is going, and coil packs need replacing because of a slight misfire in cylinder 3. Afr is corrected now, but is reading the same pretty much because of the kinetix v2 manifold installed. Retune still on hold for the moment. Considering an internals rebuild.

Looks like garbage.

Previous owner was about that lowlift. Smh.

P.O. took it to a shop that diagnosed the issue wrong, replaced TB and MAF, but took the logos off the old uprev and glued them to the oem. I looked up the serial numbers to verify, and sure enough..fml

Its obvious. Replaced with a stainless steel 20 oz from Summit Racing.

Replaced with poly.

Ugh, i cant even. Oil cooler coolant line ruptured. Replaced.

Car is tuned on E85, and this dw $hit itself. Replaced with a Walboro 400.

Oil from leaking valve cover. Replaced.

Exhaust timing camshaft sensor, bank 2. Replaced.

Thank god the heads still look clean.

Spark plugs all replaced. Note the oil on ALL of them as well as the crush ring still intact for majority of them. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Plug hooked it up for the low. Half price msrp with all hardware.

As luck would have it, I bought a boroscope to peek into the cylinders when i changed the valve covers and spark plugs. And this is what i find. <br/><br/>On all of them. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK

Big shout out to my friend Joel, and his ship Oden Customs & Restoration here in Atlanta

Last edited by hooey_b; 04-13-2017 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Ah, a learning experience . Is there more to come here?

Old 03-28-2017, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Ah, a learning experience . Is there more to come here?
Kinda. As soon as I fix the problems, more surface literally within a month. And I think this might be the extent of my energy and time dedicated to this...it's my first turbo'd car (I've had NA and supercharged) and I'm almost to the point of regretting it lol. For now, just the coil packs, and bank 2 intake cam solenoid, then retune. Hoping to hit over 600whp, but with those pistons like that, it may be a stretch.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Looks like a rebuild is in your future but, if you think about it. With all the problems you're having, that's what you're already doing. You're just doing it one problem at a time. I'm sure when it's done you'll have one sick G. One more thing. I NEVER give my car a woman's name. Women are too finicky those problems issue. The pick of your G on the flatbed looks very promising. Body looks to be in great shape.

Last edited by Mr. Brooks; 03-28-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Lol he isn't the only one!

Bought &amp; Built 06 G35 6mt-photo36.jpg

It's just some of these G's...

Good luck with yours OP. Could be a lot worse.

The following users liked this post:
hooey_b (04-02-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 10:51 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Looks like this car has lived a hard life. I envy your skills and patience, wish I had the knowledge and confidence to work on my G like that

Old 04-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
God damn cut your finger nails, learn to type and speak like a human instead of a sub human monkey.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by NemesisGee
Looks like this car has lived a hard life. I envy your skills and patience, wish I had the knowledge and confidence to work on my G like that
Thanks mayne, it's just putting your nose in the books and forums to learn what you can...it's how I've done it.

Originally Posted by Siciliang35
God damn cut your finger nails, learn to type and speak like a human instead of a sub human monkey.

First off, go eat a bag of dicks. I don't know where you see me having long fingernails, nor why you'd be so damn concerned with it. And as for the monkey remark, I'm black. Say it to my face, I'll be waiting.

The following users liked this post:
Ceedagr8 (11-07-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Are you sure you didn't post this remark in the wrong thread? His nails aren't long and he actually is one of the more literate/knowledgeable newer members on the forum. I will admit to being one of the "more direct" lol old school members but you're waaay off base here.

OP I'm definitely sub'd for updates on future progress......

Old 04-03-2017, 04:50 AM

Update- manifold is in, exhaust leak repaired. Took a torch to the flange, and hammered it out as much as possible, then grinded it flush. It runs much more quiet now, thankfully. No more deaf rides from the droning. AFR is same, around 14.3ish. I'm guessing that it was corrected from the leak fix, but then thrown off from the intake manifold installed.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:22 AM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
WTH??? Moderators--this guy should be banned from the forum.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:54 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
^^Not really ban worthy but definitely not in good taste. Remember we do live under the 2nd amendment so people are free to speak their mind. This doesn't see to be a pattern with him, I'm still hoping he meant that for another thread, we do seem to have a lot of semi-illiterate new members joining lately.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:58 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by hooey_b

Exhaust timing camshaft sensor, bank 2. Replaced.
I never really noticed this before this thread... but that sensor looks an auful lot like the T-888 chip from the Terminator movies\show. No wonder your car has so many problems... it has an evil computer controlling its actions.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:28 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ39
WTH??? Moderators--this guy should be banned from the forum.
anyone who talks like this.

Last year right after July 4th, my 08 G37s was totaled from a rear end collision with an 18 wheeler. Back got ****ed up, and bought this turd 06 G35 that has a built short block and greddy TT kit with fresh new rebuilt turbos for the low low. I hopped on the chance, thinking I knew enough to fix the $hit, but fuq I was wrong. Fast forward almost a year, and I'm STILL messing with this thing. It's one thing after another, literally.

Should be banned from this forum.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
^^Not really ban worthy but definitely not in good taste. Remember we do live under the 2nd amendment so people are free to speak their mind. This doesn't see to be a pattern with him, I'm still hoping he meant that for another thread, we do seem to have a lot of semi-illiterate new members joining lately.
anyone who talks like this.

Should be banned from this forum.
Funny you should say that keyboard warrior. Even funnier, that you'll never say it to my face. Go sit the **** down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bought & Built 06 G35 6mt