G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Coupes high priced for little HP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to keep busting your chops AVS, but I really think those cars look a great deal like one another. I think the pics you posted show this. Thanks for helping me out.

N

Old 03-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aerisolphaln
Not to keep busting your chops AVS, but I really think those cars look a great deal like one another. I think the pics you posted show this. Thanks for helping me out.

N
You're just saying that... How do they look similar?

The Cav and GTO have completely different front grills. The cav has single bulb headlights, the GTO has separate low/high beams, and I think the lows are projectors on the GTO.

The GTO has reflectors on the side of the front fenders, the cav doesn't. The GTO has bigger foglights, with a flush mounted lens over it, the cav doesn't.

The front quarter panel is a completely different shape on the two cars. Just look at the line where the fender meets the bumper.

Look at the rear passenger windows. They aren't even the same shape. The cav comes to a point, the GTO doesn't. Look at the rear pillars. They are completely different shaped.

Now look at the back. The rear glass of the GTO is raked much more than the cav. The back end of the GTO is higher, making the car overall much more wedge shaped than the cav. Look at the side profile. They don't even have the same basic shape. The cav looks more flat front to back, with smaller front/rear windshields.

The cav has single outlet exhausts, the GTO has a twin outlet true dual. The cav's rear plates are mounted on the bumper, the GTO's are mounted on the trunk. The GTO has two tone rear lower valence trim, the cav doesn't even have a rear lower valence trim.

The cav has full length rear tail lights, the GTO doesn't. The GTO has stacked turn/reverse lights, the cav doesn't.

And just in case, anyone thinks the interiors look the same... Just looking inside the car, should reveal, that there is no confusing these cars.

Attached Thumbnails Coupes high priced for little HP-cavint1.jpg   Coupes high priced for little HP-gtoint1.jpg   Coupes high priced for little HP-cavint2.jpg   Coupes high priced for little HP-gtoint2.jpg  

Last edited by avs007; 03-03-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:57 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The cars look nothing alike. Still doesn't change the fact that they both look like $12k cars.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:08 AM
Omega Enthusiast
Doesn't the "Goat" have pushrod technology? If it does, seems to me that this technology is outdated. Not knocking on GTOs but not too many American "muscle" cars have implemented OHC techology from what I've noticed....

Old 03-04-2005, 05:10 AM
Reminds me of a debate one of my customer's were in the other day w/ his neighbor. We were working on a new 360 CS a few days ago and the neighbor's friend came by with a Mustang GT (previous gen). He began talking to the Ferrari's owner and talked about how Ferrari's cost too much for the power you get. He went and talked about how much power he could extract from his Ford and be able to take a Ferrari at the track. (yeh, I know........we were thinking the same thing.........this guy's an idiot) As you guys could imagine, this is a start of heated debate as our customer began talking about refinement and exclusivity.......his basic theme was, I have a Ferrari and you have a Ford........end of discussion.

It's a never ending circle.......the guy w/ the cheaper vehicle will use power to make up for other inadequacies while the guy w/ the nicer car will basically say, his car is better bc of overall refinement.

..........honestly, it seems to be a sign of a general lack of self-confidence for those utilizing raw power to compete with the higher-end vehicles

Old 03-04-2005, 06:46 AM
5.) Why even bother discussing mods? You say get a used 350Z, then throw on 10k in mods like a TT/SC, and say byebye GTO. What?! Have you seen what an LS1/LS2 engine with 10k in mods can do?

True, I should've left modding out, but I think you're forgetting that the GTO weighs 3700 lbs! That's why both cars run pretty close in performance. 350hp/365 ft/lb sounds good until you realize its in a 3700 lb car. Both cars have very similar power/weight numbers. The additional 50 hp in the 2005 model will help. People get caught up with horsepower numbers, but forget how weight figures into the equation. Take the RX-8 for instance. It's over 400 lbs lighter than the G35C and has 238 hp, which is decent for a 3000 lb car. It gets raped because of its 159 ft/lbs of torque.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:05 AM
I always like reading AVS007's posts and I usually agree with him/her, but in all fairness the way a car looks to someone is totally subjective. I happen to believe the 2 cars share a lot of similarities visually. I also happen to think that the "look" of the GTO just doesn't "do it" for me what so ever. For that reason alone, I would not consider even test driving one. If you don't like the way a car looks, why settle for it? Same goes for the Aztec and the WRX...

Old 03-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Never mind 0-60 or Horsepower, speed etcc etc... Which car would you rather be doing 5 MPH in with the windows down and sunroof open on a nice sunny day?? GTO or G??? I think we all know the answer...

Old 03-04-2005, 08:36 AM
No matter what, GM styling is all the same. They have similar lines.
GM in 2005 is trying to change the GTO's looks because they heard what was being said by "potential" customers.
IT WAS BORING!
The group it was marketed for hated it.
Ya it has power, but that is it!
My last GM (Pontiac) was a 1996, so my personal referance is outdated, but friends own current GM products, and they continue to be junk.
My Nissan's have all gone over 160,000 miles without any repairs other than PLANNED maintence.
Last I heard most domestic mfg's were still specing parts with a 75,000 mile life,compaired to 100,000 mile used in Imports.
Yes I am biased, but "Once you go ***, you will never go Back!"
That was crude, but I couldn't help myself.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Cmon Son!
Originally Posted by neffster
For that reason alone, I would not consider even test driving one. If you don't like the way a car looks, why settle for it? Same goes for the Aztec and the WRX...
That last line makes this another quote to be remembered.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by clokwork
That last line makes this another quote to be remembered.
Is that a good or a bad thing?

Old 03-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AVS you make some good points. I'm on my second GTP and neither one have ever seen a service department for any reason. Everyone wants to pick on pushrod until they realize that they are using WHAT WORKS! The further the limit is pushed with new technologies is the more problems are bound to happen. Sorry but the LS platform is much more developed...just wait for the LS7 Viper killier.

The GTO is the nicest GM domestic available...with the exception of some outdated exterior styling. The interior is much more refined than that of previous and current generation GM garbage.

Now I'm getting rid of my GTP. Not due to mechanical problems but rather boredom. The G35 presents a great level of styling for the money and is just plain sexy. I swear though if it strands me you mfer's have had it

Both sides have good points...but those making blanket statements about the domestics probably haven't owned one since the mid 90's when GM REALLY had its head in its ***. No a 5 minute test drive doesn't count, and neither does driving a friend's GM to the local gas station.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:43 AM
yeah, there are a lot of cars that might be cool if you had different tastes, and don't care how long it lasts.

Not to be nasty, but you could pay me to own an american piece of crap. Everyone I ever had, everyone I ever see. After it is 2 - 5 years old all of the interior stuff is falling apart, the repairs and shop tiome are a joke, etc...

obvious some do better than others, but the american stuff is always at the bottom.

sad, but true

Old 03-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by ZeroGen
Doesn't the "Goat" have pushrod technology? If it does, seems to me that this technology is outdated. Not knocking on GTOs but not too many American "muscle" cars have implemented OHC techology from what I've noticed....
Yeah the LS1 and LS6 are soooooo outdated.

EDIT: That was sarcasm in case one didn't notice.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Cmon Son!
oh oops, didnt specify. it was a good thing. funny stuff.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coupes high priced for little HP