G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need some advice on buying a G35 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on buying a G35 coupe

I am going to buy a G35 in the next few weeks, but I have some final decisions to make. If you guys can provide any help based on your experience of owning the cars, I will greatly appreciate it.

First, 5AT vs. 6MT. I have always been a MT driver, so a week ago I was pretty set on the 6MT. Then, I decided to try test driving the 5AT just to see how it was. I actually really enjoyed driving it, and it suits my laziness very well. Obviously, the 6MT is a funner car to drive, but for practical use, the 5AT is a better decision. Plus, it has the manual mode, which seemed to be almost as fun as driving the 6MT. Does anyone have an opinion either way based on durability of the transmission and reliability? Is every part of the 5AT covered by the 6 year warrenty? What about the clutch on the 6MT, is that covered in any way?

If I get the 5AT, I need to decide on whether or not to get the Sports Suspension package. I test drove both back-to-back with the 5AT, and I noticed absolutely no difference in driving feel. Of course, that might be because I wasn't driving the car very hard. The wheels are the other big difference, but I honestly don't mind the looks of the 17" wheels, and the 19" wheels are very impractical as far as treadwear and drive quality. So again, what is everyone's opinions of the SSP? Is it worth the extra money for it plus the wheels, or should I just get it without it, and then change the wheels in the future if I ever decide to?

What is a good negotiating price below MSRP to work towards for either the 5AT or the 6MT? I was thinking 1500 below invoice, plus no dealer fees. I am paying cash for the car, so I see absolutely no reason to pay any sort of dealer fees for the car. Obviously, the MT is going to be harder to deal for, but what kind of deals are people getting? (I am located in Florida, if that helps)

My color combination will be diamond graphite with dark graphite interior. Can you guys post some various pics of a diamond graphite car with and without the spoiler, and with different wheel combinations?

Any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mark O

Old 03-05-2005, 02:32 PM
don't tell them you're paying cash...

Old 03-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Does anyone else have anymore good info for me?

Old 03-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
I purchased my 6MT around the end of March of last year. I went to "infiniti.com" under "Build your Infinity" and after I picked all options, color etc., sent for quotes to every dealer listed on the site in a 150 mile radius frm my zip code. I received about 4-5 responses. I took the best offer and went to my local dealer. It was short and sweet. I told them that I had an offer for $1,700 off MSRP and they agreed to match it. I also paid cash, which spared me from seeing the finance manager, where they try to sell you their overpriced dealer options you don't need.
As far as the 6MT vs 5AT, I was also undecided. The reason I went with the 6MT was the look of the Brembos (std. with 6MT in 2004) but not offered on the 5AT. I don't regret getting the 6MT since I do mostly highway driving. The clutch is different than any of the other MT cars I had in the past, but you get used to it in a couple of days. Good luck with your purchase.