G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

06 automatic coupe not shifting correctly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 automatic coupe not shifting correctly

Lengthy story to how this happened so I'm gonna try and shorten it...

Crashed car into dirt, kinked lower oil return from radiator, drove with low oil pressure/oil spraying all over engine, fixed problem, did oil change.....

Now here is the fun stuff, I start up the car and let it idle for about 15 minutes after the oil change because I wasn't sure if anything bad happened but everything seemed to be fine. I put the car into drive and press the gas and it revs the **** out of the engine like I'm in neutral then finally grabs first gear, but the shifting is god awful.

I'm getting worried now so I go to fill up my tank and research the problem, found some stuff about resetting the ecu to relearn the correct gear shifting times.

Complete all the steps to reset it and read I had to drive for an hour to completely fix the problem, drove for an hour straight and the shifting was still wonky.

I reset the ecu about three more times and in the beginning it seems like its getting better but the second I turn the ignition off and restart it, it seems like my car is starting in 3rd gear (Having to gas a ton to even move also seems like I'm stuck in third gear)

So once I am "stuck in third gear" I am not even able to shift with the triptonic mode, but when I first reset it I have full control and can drive as smoothly as I want.

Anyone have this problem or know whats going on? The triptonic working when I first reset it makes me think the tranny is completely fine and the ecu needs to be reset a different way or something :?

Also, I always have a check engine light on with no codes (had when car was running fine) and this doesn't make it go away, not sure what that means.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:40 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If the service engine light is on you have codes, the reader you are using may be unable to read them however.

The shifting problems you're experiencing sounds exactly like low transmission fluid, have you checked the fluid level, if so then how EXACTLY have you been checking the fluid level?

Old 01-12-2019, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
If the service engine light is on you have codes, the reader you are using may be unable to read them however.

The shifting problems you're experiencing sounds exactly like low transmission fluid, have you checked the fluid level, if so then how EXACTLY have you been checking the fluid level?
Topped off the fluid today from a cold start then shifted through drive park reverse neutral about 5 times and took it for a drive and after that the level was fine. Could this be happening from having too much oil in the car?

Old 01-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by FahBreezy
Topped off the fluid today from a cold start then shifted through drive park reverse neutral about 5 times and took it for a drive and after that the level was fine. Could this be happening from having too much oil in the car?
Any current fluid leaks? What all was damaged on the car?

Old 01-13-2019, 07:43 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by FahBreezy
If your talking about motor oil the answer is no.