G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Anyone ever driven a WRX Sti or Lancer EVO?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I have driven an STi and an EVO, and have owned a Highly modded WRX a 04 G35 Slushbox, and now own a 05 G35 6mt. First things first there is absolutely no comparisson between the G35's and the Boy Racers!
My WRX had an STi Motor Swap w/ VF22 Turbo running 23 PSI, with all the supporting mods. That car dynoed 323 AWHP and 330 AWTQ. Boost would not kick in until 3200 RPM's, but when it did it was like a raped ape. There is nothing quite like AWD.....there is a certain sense of security when driving in bad weather that an FWD or RWD vehicle doesn't give you. Plus it is comedic when it's raining and you pull up next to an RWD or FWD vehicle and do a 4000 rpm holeshot with no wheelspin in the rain!!!
That being said I have always been a Nissan guy and was looking for something different. I drove both the G35 and 350z, but liked the way the G looked and felt. So I bought an 04 G35 AT. I had NEVER EVER owned an auto before, so I said what the heck. For me, that was a big mistake, after only 5 months I was longing for the sportinees of actually shifting. Plus I am really interested in Auto X, so my search was on, again....... I thought ( the key word here) I was interested in the STi or the EVO MR, so I went and test drove both extensively. STi- Looks bigger than EVO, but is smaller. Much nicer interior, and options. I personally like the big wings on both, but then again, I LOVE the World Rally Championship. Power seemed more linear than the EVO, and better steering radius. EVO- Like the overall Exterior apperance better, but the car felt cheaper, and the interior is very cheap feeling and looking. Plus the car does not come with cruise control??? The EVO actually makes less HP and TQ, but the twin scroll turbo set-up is nice, and when this car comes into boost you feel it. Also the suspension on this car is incredible. Thats why these stock are kicking *** in Auto X !!! Plus Mitsu has a crazy offer..free Maintenance for 5 yrs 60k. If i was leaving these cars stock, I would buy the STi, if I was Modding I would buy the EVO, much easier and cheaper to make go hella fast!!
In light of what I said, when I left these dealers and got back in my G, I was like ......WHOA I smiled and said I could never go back to a non luxury car. So the only thing left to do was go drive a 05 G35 6mt. And thats when I fell in loveagain, and realized what I had. SOMETHING GOOD !!!!!!!! This car is so nice. Is it fast like the STi or EVO stock, not even close, but I will give up a little speed for the LOOK and feel of the G. PLus at speeds over 100 MPH the G feels solid, those other cars don't feel safe. Don't get me wrong this G will be FI when the funds allow it, but until then I am still happier in this car than I ever was in my WRX.

Just my .02

Last edited by speedygp; 04-25-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by speedygp
I have driven an STi and an EVO, and have owned a Highly modded WRX a 04 G35 Slushbox, and now own a 05 G35 6mt. First things first there is absolutely no comparisson between the G35's and the Boy Racers!
My WRX had an STi Motor Swap w/ VF22 Turbo running 23 PSI, with all the supporting mods. That car dynoed 323 AWHP and 330 AWTQ. Boost would not kick in until 3200 RPM's, but when it did it was like a raped ape.
Wow, that's a quick WRX! I was only running 17.5psi on a VF34, and I thought my car was pretty quick.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:10 PM
I drove a EVO in a dealership when i was looking for car. It's pretty rough and fast.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:22 PM
I have driven both of them......they're not as fast as people think.....by the way, if you have not driven with them yet, don't try to post when you don't know anything.

I raced with the STI and i can hang arround with them no problem at all.... at 110 my car was able to get them little by little.

mods:
Stillen exhaust
Crawford plenum
RT Cats
Injen CAI

Evo is even slower...but don't race them at dead STOP cuz they will beat you at least 2-3 cars....but if you're rolling about 20-30mph....you're in good mode

My $.02...

Old 04-25-2005, 01:37 PM
They are pocket rockets, but I still wouldnt like to drive them around all the time. They just arent that practical.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Performance aside....they're both ugly as ****.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
i've been in an evo. it's nice performance wise, but NOT worth 30 thousand plus.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by G-Tofu
I have driven both of them......they're not as fast as people think.....by the way, if you have not driven with them yet, don't try to post when you don't know anything.
To be fair, it takes a bit of experience to learn how to extract the full potential of those turbocharged cars. I thought that my WRX was somewhat slow for a while, 'til I figured out the powerband and the way to modulate the throttle.

Yeah, if you're gonna go from a roll, then it'll be a closer race, but the STi still traps in the 103-105mph range with a good driver. That's faster than most G's I've heard about.

You're modified, so that kinda throws the rules out the window when comparing stock cars.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by G-Tofu

I raced with the STI and i can hang arround with them no problem at all.... at 110 my car was able to get them little by little.

mods:
Stillen exhaust
Crawford plenum
RT Cats
Injen CAI

Evo is even slower...but don't race them at dead STOP cuz they will beat you at least 2-3 cars....but if you're rolling about 20-30mph....you're in good mode

My $.02...

I love the comedy here!

Old 04-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Lightbulb

Yesterday, 11:03 PM
Eagle1
Trader Rating: (0) Join Date: Oct 2003

The cars approach the performance model with several excellent precepts in mind, all wheel drive, high horsepower and LOW WEIGHT. They get the low weight by using a small chassis and body, and very light cheap materials throughout. They get the power with turbo charging, which introduces an enemy of engines and performance....HEAT. But if you toodle around town and do not get into the boost the car is an econo box, and looks-rides-sounds like one. Not much fun really. But take it out to thrash it around the track and it impresses mightily and holds its own against customized Mustang V-8s and the like. And with only a few suspension and handling mods, it becomes a very formidable beast and at a very affordable price. In terms of thrills for the bills, it is hard to beat. Spec Miatas can be pretty nifty too, but at a performance window that is at least one big step below the EVO/STi.

The G35 with its larger six cylinder power plant and loaded with big leather power driven front seats, etc etc. is an economical highway cruiser where weight has some advantages in ride comfort and the interiors have sound insulation etc. It is just not a comparable car to the EVO/STi, and is not intended to be.

Eagle1
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Eagle1
Find all posts by Eagle1
Add Eagle1 to Your Buddy List

#9 Yesterday, 11:18 PM
Highlife
Trader Rating: (0) Join Date: Jan 2004

Less displacement and more HP! That sounds like a good idea to me! Econobox....maybe a Neon, but certainly not an STI or Subaru for that matter! An engineer from Porsche helped design the STI's boxer engine. People don't buy this car for luxury, that's not what it was built for. I'm sure you've heard of RALLY..or Petter Solberg? If not..do a search. Regarding the Looks...to each his own! Performance...can't be denied! The car is equipped with many performance parts e.g. driver controlled diff, etc. The enjoyment i get from driving this car daily is amazing. A truly amazing vehicle regardless of what some may say, think. Sidenote...most of the guys i've seen drive this vehicle are in their late 20's on up. Too much car for a teenager. Besides, leather seats and a Bose Stereo never improved performance anyway!

These two have answered your question very well. No flames.

The Sube and the EVO don't have the same "mission statement" that the G has. It's not even fair to compair the three. Compair the Sube and the EVO to each other. The G is not in the same class. Now if you want to strip all the luxo stuff out of the G, maybe...

Old 04-25-2005, 03:52 PM
I love the Sti haven't driven the Evo the thing is that the G is my daily and I wouldn't want either as a daily.

My buddy's Sti (the one I have driven) has a turbo upgrade, intercooler, full exhaust, engine managment, injectors, intake, BOV and a list of other mods I'm not familiar with, it just got tuned and Dynoed 361 hp at the wheels and 370 something tq. The thing is stupid fast if you launch it hard you better have two hands on the wheel. That kind of power is a BLAST to drive but again I wouldn't want it as a daily, beats you up on the highway and his is loud as trash

Old 04-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by hater
I love the Sti haven't driven the Evo the thing is that the G is my daily and I wouldn't want either as a daily.
I hear that. One of the reasons I switched from a modded WRX on Eibachs to the G was because it was beating me up on my daily 60 mile commute. The STi would be at least as bad, I would think.

Old 04-25-2005, 05:04 PM
DTR
I have driven both STi and Evo and currently own and drive a modded WRX.

Basically the Evo and STi are all out agressive cars that hold nothing back. I dont think that either car is something that someone might prefer for decently long commute's. They are both quite fast and handle amazingly, but the primary draw back of each car in my opinion is the lack of creature comforts and basic refinement. The STi ineterior in the 05' is not too bad though, especially compared to the "cavalier-esq" interior of the Evo.
They are def. extrememly fun cars to drive and impressive in all performance aspects, but it ends there.

Old 04-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by DTR
I have driven both STi and Evo and currently own and drive a modded WRX.

Basically the Evo and STi are all out agressive cars that hold nothing back. I dont think that either car is something that someone might prefer for decently long commute's. They are both quite fast and handle amazingly, but the primary draw back of each car in my opinion is the lack of creature comforts and basic refinement. The STi ineterior in the 05' is not too bad though, especially compared to the "cavalier-esq" interior of the Evo.
They are def. extrememly fun cars to drive and impressive in all performance aspects, but it ends there.
Regarding creature comforts, only Americans complain about stereos and the size and design of cupholders! Some people even refuse to purchase a car because of these two things. A German guy on a show about the Autobahn commented on the US's lack of true enjoyment for driving cars. He said that Germans couldn't understand why someone would want too talk on a mobile phone while driving, cause it takes away from the experience. I agree!

Old 04-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Highlife
Regarding creature comforts, only Americans complain about stereos and the size and design of cupholders! Some people even refuse to purchase a car because of these two things. A German guy on a show about the Autobahn commented on the US's lack of true enjoyment for driving cars. He said that Germans couldn't understand why someone would want too talk on a mobile phone while driving, cause it takes away from the experience. I agree!
Enjoying driving a car is a lot of different things, comfort is high on a lot of people's list. The fact is these cars aren't comfortable by many definitions one being that it feels like you just got your *** beat after an hour in the interstate. What the hell do German's know about driving Japanese cars on American highways? Probably very little. It would be valid if we were griping about the driving experience of a Euro car but we are not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever driven a WRX Sti or Lancer EVO?