G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Anyone ever driven a WRX Sti or Lancer EVO?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 11:06 PM
mrb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever driven a WRX Sti or Lancer EVO?

The wings are hideous, the interior crap, but the performance is incredible for the price. Just wondering if anyone has owned one or driven one, and their driving impressions?

Old 04-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Sig
I've ridden in a buddy's evo. Pretty impressive performance wise. FEels like a big go cart.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:26 PM
Call the Cops
the Sti looks like ****, feels like **** when you're in it, and nobody even looks at them when they're on the road. its just a sedan version of the crap-*** outback with a 300 hp engine. ive been in an 04 white one and let me tell you.. i wouldnt pay 10 grand for that car no matter how fast it goes.

my friend has an EvO. i would never buy one, but i still like em. fast as hell and still has decent looks to hit if you're into the "race type look"

Old 04-24-2005, 11:29 PM
i have driven both cars, and i can tell u this much, i dont think my g35 even compares to the performance of either the sti or evo. i have driven alot of different cars, and i must say that those two cars (the evo and sti) are probably the most fun, that i've driven around the track. they have awesome handling, the only downside is for daily driving purposes. i prefer the the luxuries of a g35 for everyday driving.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
driven an EVO, handles great, and needless to say its fast. but doesnt look all that great and the interior suks, when i was 17 i wanted on so bad, thank god they werent available in the US or i probably wouldnt have a g right now

Old 04-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by BBB
the Sti looks like ****, feels like **** when you're in it, and nobody even looks at them when they're on the road. its just a sedan version of the crap-*** outback with a 300 hp engine. ive been in an 04 white one and let me tell you.. i wouldnt pay 10 grand for that car no matter how fast it goes.

my friend has an EvO. i would never buy one, but i still like em. fast as hell and still has decent looks to hit if you're into the "race type look"
Are you really that ignorant?

Old 04-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Call the Cops
Originally Posted by Highlife
Are you really that ignorant?
no

Old 04-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cars approach the performance model with several excellent precepts in mind, all wheel drive, high horsepower and LOW WEIGHT. They get the low weight by using a small chassis and body, and very light cheap materials throughout. They get the power with turbo charging, which introduces an enemy of engines and performance....HEAT. But if you toodle around town and do not get into the boost the car is an econo box, and looks-rides-sounds like one. Not much fun really. But take it out to thrash it around the track and it impresses mightily and holds its own against customized Mustang V-8s and the like. And with only a few suspension and handling mods, it becomes a very formidable beast and at a very affordable price. In terms of thrills for the bills, it is hard to beat. Spec Miatas can be pretty nifty too, but at a performance window that is at least one big step below the EVO/STi.

To give you an idea of just how important light weight is, a little formula Dodge that weighs around 1200 pounds, with two wheel drive, and a 130hp four cylinder Neon motor..goes 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds, and back down to zero in less than three with non power assisted non abs brakes. On skinny street tires. Take the little STi with its four wheel grip and light weight and 300hp and you have something special indeed. Not to look at. Not to ride in. But lap times are a thing of beauty too. It all depends on what you want and are willing to compromise to get.

The G35 with its larger six cylinder power plant and loaded with big leather power driven front seats, etc etc. is an economical highway cruiser where weight has some advantages in ride comfort and the interiors have sound insulation etc. It is just not a comparable car to the EVO/STi, and is not intended to be.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Less displacement and more HP! That sounds like a good idea to me! Econobox....maybe a Neon, but certainly not an STI or Subaru for that matter! An engineer from Porsche helped design the STI's boxer engine. People don't buy this car for luxury, that's not what it was built for. I'm sure you've heard of RALLY..or Petter Solberg? If not..do a search. Regarding the Looks...to each his own! Performance...can't be denied! The car is equipped with many performance parts e.g. driver controlled diff, etc. The enjoyment i get from driving this car daily is amazing. A truly amazing vehicle regardless of what some may say, think. Sidenote...most of the guys i've seen drive this vehicle are in their late 20's on up. Too much car for a teenager. Besides, leather seats and a Bose Stereo never improved performance anyway!

Old 04-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Gangster Member
Driven Both, fast sedans gont get me wrong, just not a every day car for me, I like the quality solid feel of the G, plus i would never buy a car with Turbo, unless it was leased

Old 04-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by TheGest
Driven Both, fast sedans gont get me wrong, just not a every day car for me, I like the quality solid feel of the G, plus i would never buy a car with Turbo, unless it was leased

You mean you would'nt buy a 911 Turbo...yeah right!

Old 04-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by BBB
the Sti looks like ****, feels like **** when you're in it, and nobody even looks at them when they're on the road. its just a sedan version of the crap-*** outback with a 300 hp engine. ive been in an 04 white one and let me tell you..
Incorrect. The STi is part of the Impreza line, and is built on an Impreza chassis. The Outback is part of the Legacy product line. 2 different cars.

I was a Subie guy before getting my G. They're great cars. The STi off the dealer floor will wipe the floor with the G35 in most performance categories, and is unbelievably mod friendly. A downpipe and an ECU reflash easily puts the car at 350 hp, without even tuning it. The '05 Subarus have much nicer interiors than in the past, though the G's is still better than the STi's. The Legacy's interior is QUITE nice, though. Almost European in function and in how clean it is. The '05 Legacy's I've been in are actually much quieter on the road than my G35 is. (Which may be a sport package and 19" wheel thing, to be fair...)

The G35's demographic is different than the STi's, so I expected to hear negative things here. It's all about what you want in a car...
When I go back and read the Subie forums, there are people there telling me that my G35 is just an "image car".

As far as turbochargers go, Subaru has got a pretty great reliability record with their turbos, especially if you keep them stock.

Last edited by Rayfield; 04-25-2005 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those EVO/STi. are faster then are car ( G35 )0-60 right
because I raced evo they are fast...
whats hp in EVO..

Last edited by 6969g35; 04-25-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:57 AM
I have driven my friends STi on a roadtrip. That damn thing hauls, even in 6th gear xP. It's even more so amazing when you drop it a gear, or two.. maybe three... shhhhh he doesn't know, he was sleeping.

The only problem I have with it is that, it's kinda light with a stiff suspension. The car gets tossed around a lil bit going over rough surfaces @ 70+. When it gets windy, it gets pushed around much. The steering wheel is kinda stiff, but after a while I guess you can get used to it. Road noise is unbearable to me. the whirl of the turbo is ok, but the tires sure do generate a lot of noise. It's also not as cushy as our cars nor as high tech, but you need to consider that it's an all out performance car.

The car is a lot easier to drive. The clutch is very soft, and it catches low and easy without bogging. The tires that come with the car are awesome. Nice solid side walls from Potenza, they grip like no tomorrow. The handling is onpoint. Goes where you want it to go. Acceleration is of course, not a factor. The car is EXTREMELY mod friendly, unlike our cars . It responds to the smallest mod. As said before, a chip/downpipe will give you 50+ hp.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Driven both. Like the Evo but....NO.. Not for me. I preferred the STi. It had most of the qualities of the Evo but was a little more civilized around town.

I would never be in the market for either car, but respect them both for how they accomplish their purpose. Well done in both cases if that's what you're into.

I prefer my G Sedan. LOL..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever driven a WRX Sti or Lancer EVO?