G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Anyone ever driven a WRX Sti or Lancer EVO?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by da45king
I agree 100 %...my point is.....a G is a complete car....the evo...and sti are not much more a drivetrain....turbo + 4wd....after that there is little else to talk about...
a complete car? which two of these three, G35, STi, Evo, out of the box is ready for the track? which gets to 60 in under 5 seconds? slaloms at over 70 mph (700 foot)? carries 5 people with a trunk big enough to tote their weekend luggage? which gets around safely, nevermind better than most SUVs, in the snow? corners like a go-kart on dry or wet pavement?

By now you've probably guessed that it's the STi and Evo...maybe our definition of "complete" cars is different...

Old 04-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Rookie84
G is the best compromise there is in $30-40k range if you want both luxury and performance.
agreed... Best compromise for Luxury, Performance, and Styling, IMO

Old 04-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evolved_4g63
agreed... Best compromise for Luxury, Performance, and Styling, IMO
Yup. I missed the styling part. Good job pointing it out

Old 04-27-2005, 01:06 PM
I've driven STi, and was going to buy it until I test drove G35... STi just felt so cheap in comparison. I had a hard time deciding but since the car was to be a daily driver and would not see much racing activities, I decided to go with the G and I'm happier than ever I still have some second thoughts about it, since STi is such a fun car, but G also is a fun car as well, although not as much fun as STi, and has luxury, comfort, and class. G is the best compromise there is in $30-40k range if you want both luxury and performance.

Anyway, STi is a damn fun car... it handles damn good and can eaily make 300awhp with few bolt-ons. I sometimes think about trading my G for one. I just wish I had enough funds to go for FI on G... Actually, I just wish I could get another Supra I really miss that car but it's not really practical as my only car
If you think about it, the STI is more practicle than a G coupe. I think some people are confusing the term "practicality" with "aesthetic acceptance." Certainly on paper, the G is more practicle regarding it's looks, but certainly not it's usabilty and performance. The STI is all-wheel-drive vehicle which enables one to drive year-around, regardless of weather conditions. likewise, it has more usable room for storage, etc. It weighs less and has more HP. And it's cheaper in cost. And subaru has bullet proof engines! The G coupe is a rear-wheel drive car that certainly sucks in the snow...at least mine did. Plus, a basketball will fill the trunk! Most people with a G, put it in storage at first sight of snow or heavy rain. I think the G, along with the TSX, TL, Lexus and others pretty much offer the same package in some areas regarding performance..and i stress the word "some" so don't flame! After you get over the leather seats, and goodlooking **** on the stereo console, what else is there?

Last edited by Highlife; 04-27-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Highlife
If you think about it, the STI is more practicle than a G coupe. I think some people are confusing the term "practicality" with "aesthetic acceptance." Certainly on paper, the G is more practicle regarding it's looks, but certainly not it's usabilty and performance. The STI is all-wheel-drive vehicle which enables one to drive year-around, regardless of weather conditions. likewise, it has more usable room for storage, etc. It weighs less and has more HP. And it's cheaper in cost. And subaru has bullet proof engines! The G coupe is a rear-wheel drive car that certainly sucks in the snow...at least mine did. Plus, a basketball will fill the trunk! Most people with a G, put it in storage at first sight of snow or heavy rain. I think the G, along with the TSX, TL, Lexus and others pretty much offer the same package in some areas regarding performance..and i stress the word "some" so don't flame! After you get over the leather seats, and goodlooking **** on the stereo console, what else is there?

I won't answer your last question, because you should do the research on the G35's luxury features. Anyway, I've driven my coupe through two winters in Chicago. All I need to do is swap out my summer setup to my winter setup. Please don't tell me you EVO/WRX guys are driving around on summer tires in the winter just because you have awd. So basically there is really no difference when you have to swap out tires on both vehicles. The VDC is very effective on the G35 in the winter with a good set of winter tires, but then again I'm giving you a clue on G35 features.

Old 04-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Deang35c6
I won't answer your last question, because you should do the research on the G35's luxury features. Anyway, I've driven my coupe through two winters in Chicago. All I need to do is swap out my summer setup to my winter setup. Please don't tell me you EVO/WRX guys are driving around on summer tires in the winter just because you have awd. So basically there is really no difference when you have to swap out tires on both vehicles. The VDC is very effective on the G35 in the winter with a good set of winter tires, but then again I'm giving you a clue on G35 features.
Look, i'm not trying to **** anyone off.. just trying to provoke some discussion, that's all.

And i too OWNED a 2003 6mt coupe with all the bells and whistles when they first dropped! And anyone that knows about cars, knows that a rear wheel drive vehicle in the snow is horrible. I didn't say that one couldn't risk driving in the winter..hell you could ride a motorcycle in the winter if you're determined! And yes i DID stay on my stock Potenzas in the winter! Not a good idea by some, but i just allowed more time for travel and kept a safe distance between myself and others! And the car was a beast!

Old 04-27-2005, 01:56 PM
I live in the south, so I obviously don't get snow in the sense that midwestern or northeastern people do. Having said that, I did on numerous occasions drive my WRX in the snow and ice, with the same tires that I ran all summer long. Tires are a huge factor, of course, but the AWD system that Subaru makes is simply phenomenal. A Camaro would be stuck, spinning his tires to try to get traction in front of me. I'd just feather out the clutch and drive around him.

Old 04-27-2005, 02:28 PM
If you were driving on all-seasons, then you're not so bad. However, if you were driving on summer tires, then you're asking for trouble. AWD will not help you when you're driving around on 4 plastic big wheel tires. It's the tire compound and thread that makes summer tires "summer tires" and winter tires "winter tires".

And i too OWNED a 2003 6mt coupe with all the bells and whistles when they first dropped! And anyone that knows about cars, knows that a rear wheel drive vehicle in the snow is horrible.
Once again, have you driven your Coupe in snow? Like I said, I and many others have driven our cars through two winters with a good set of winter tires and the coupe performed quite well. I've never been stuck spinning while looking for traction unless I turn off VDC Anyone that knows about cars should know that the stock 18s on the Coupe are useless in the snow. That's probably why you got the results you did (horrible), but then again you are driving around on summer tires in the winter and think that AWD will save you. Look closely and you'll see the G35 isn't the only RWD car on the road in the winter. This would include Police cars, city buses, and yes, the salt trucks to name a few. I once saw a pic of an EVO with summer tires that slid into a porta-potty while trying to Auto-X in cold weather. He slid off the track and over a curb and into the porta-potty. I know someone could've been killed, but I couldn't stop laughing.

Old 04-27-2005, 02:37 PM
If you were driving on all-seasons, then you're not so bad. However, if you were driving on summer tires,
Again, in NC, we don't really spend a lot of time differentiating between "summer" tires and "winter" tires. There's no big transition here where everyone spends their weekend changing up tires on their car. They were indeed a performance tire, but they did alright in the snow as long as the speeds were kept relatively low.

Old 04-27-2005, 02:47 PM
If you were driving on all-seasons, then you're not so bad. However, if you were driving on summer tires, then you're asking for trouble. AWD will not help you when you're driving around on 4 plastic big wheel tires. It's the tire compound and thread that makes summer tires "summer tires" and winter tires "winter tires".

but then again you are driving around on summer tires in the winter and think that AWD will save you. I once saw a pic of an EVO with summer tires that slid into a porta-potty while trying to Auto-X in cold weather. He slid off the track and over a curb and into the porta-potty. I know someone could've been killed, but I couldn't stop laughing.
Originally Posted by Maron on evolutionM.net
I was the driver and yes I was aware of the risk. I was running on Rs which was a lot worse than the advans on ice. I'm happy that the guy is ok. The car will be ready by the end of this week for the meadowlands autocross.
taken from http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...pwns+evo+potty

He was running on R-compound tires, not stock tires (which are still summer-only) He was running a competition event, at high speeds and hit ice on R-compounds. The fact that he lost control and whacked up an occupied (teehee!) porta-potty has no bearing on whether AWD or RWD is better for snow driving. On the same winter setup, an STi or Evo will out accellerate, out brake and out handle a G. On the same summer setup, even in snow, the STi and Evo will still out-perform...the fact that this guy more than pushed the limits with improper equiment in a race environment is irrelevant to your argument.

i agree with you that it is very possible to drive a G in the winter and i commend you for keeping your car on the road across all of the seasons. the point is that the STi/Evo is more capable of handling all weather conditions than the G.

no one was saying that you can't do it in a G...I was trying to make the point that the comment about a more "complete" car was completely unfounded and ridiculous

Old 04-27-2005, 02:51 PM

Once again, have you driven your Coupe in snow? Like I said, I and many others have driven our cars through two winters with a good set of winter tires and the coupe performed quite well. I've never been stuck spinning while looking for traction unless I turn off VDC Anyone that knows about cars should know that the stock 18s on the Coupe are useless in the snow. That's probably why you got the results you did (horrible), but then again you are driving around on summer tires in the winter and think that AWD will save you. Look closely and you'll see the G35 isn't the only RWD car on the road in the winter. This would include Police cars, city buses, and yes, the salt trucks to name a few. I once saw a pic of an EVO with summer tires that slid into a porta-potty while trying to Auto-X in cold weather. He slid off the track and over a curb and into the porta-potty. I know someone could've been killed, but I couldn't stop laughing.
Have i driven in the snow with my G35? Uh...yes, i had the car for 16 months! I never mentioned that my All-wheel-drive system would "save" me but i do trust it more so than a rear wheel drive car! With that said, most accidents are from driver related errors anyway, e.g. putting too much faith in your car's ability, like SUV drivers. I saw that photo regarding the evo accident.. i think the kid couldn't drive and lost control (too much power). Hell... people lose control with cars in the most ideal weather (hot temp with sticky roads), so your comment doesn't hold too much weight imo!
Plus i think statistics show that more vehicle accidents occur in the summer anyway!

Last edited by Highlife; 04-27-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:48 PM
He was running on R-compound tires, not stock tires (which are still summer-only) He was running a competition event, at high speeds and hit ice on R-compounds. The fact that he lost control and whacked up an occupied (teehee!) porta-potty has no bearing on whether AWD or RWD is better for snow driving.
Tires, we are talking about tires here...not rwd vs awd. I'm well aware of the benefits of awd, but we are talking about tires here, which you just proved my point. Any car, whether its awd, fwd, or rwd with improper tires in the winter is dangerous.

i agree with you that it is very possible to drive a G in the winter and i commend you for keeping your car on the road across all of the seasons. the point is that the STi/Evo is more capable of handling all weather conditions than the G.
I completely agree, but only if both cars are equipped with similar performing tires. Don't try to tell me an EVO/STi on R-compounds will out-accellerate and out-handle me on my Dunlop M3s in 15 degree weather.

I brought up tires into the discussion because of this statement:
And i too OWNED a 2003 6mt coupe with all the bells and whistles when they first dropped! And anyone that knows about cars, knows that a rear wheel drive vehicle in the snow is horrible.
No more horrible than any vehicle on improper tires.

Hell... people lose control with cars in the most ideal weather (hot temp with sticky roads), so your comment doesn't hold too much weight imo!
Well, see now you're talking about bad drivers, which has nothing to do with tires. The only reason I bought up the porta-potty EVO was because it doesn't matter what you're driving when you're wearing the wrong tires. Once again, AWD has its limits when you're running summer tires in the winter. I'm sure an EVO/Sti on winter tires is something awesome to experience in the snow. Once again, I'm not turning this into a awd vs rwd arguement. I agree that awd is a better performance setup. This is about tires and how many many rwd vehicles are driven during the winter with the proper tires.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Tires, we are talking about tires here...not rwd vs awd. I'm well aware of the benefits of awd, but we are talking about tires here, which you just proved my point. Any car, whether its awd, fwd, or rwd with improper tires in the winter is dangerous.

Well, see now you're talking about bad drivers, which has nothing to do with tires. The only reason I bought up the porta-potty EVO was because it doesn't matter what you're driving when you're wearing the wrong tires. Once again, AWD has its limits when you're running summer tires in the winter. I'm sure an EVO/Sti on winter tires is something awesome to experience in the snow. Once again, I'm not turning this into a awd vs rwd arguement. I agree that awd is a better performance setup. This is about tires and how many many rwd vehicles are driven during the winter with the proper tires.
sorry, i guess i missed your point. i agree with you though...I've had fun driving an RX8 and an RX7 through the snow...both properly equipped with snow tires...RWD definitely can do it and can do it well.

i was trying to get more to the point about the STi/Evo being incomplete cars which isn't the case.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Highlife
STi is practical, but it will wear you out more than G Coupe would on long drives. I drive 400 miles to VA from OH and back frequently, so I needed a car that is comfortable on long drives. I don't see any problems with using G in light snow with snow tires... I don't drive in heavy snows anyway no matter what car I have.

TSX, TL, and Lexus doesn't match the performance of G. Acuras are FWD, which is inferior in terms of performance, and has less power than G. Lexus is just simply laggin in power department with their IS300... So the G coupe is the best performing car in this segment.

After I get over the leather seats and good looking *****, there is comfortable ride, more safety, and overall better quality car than STi or Evo. Oh, plus a lot better styling I'm willing to sacrifice some performance in order to get those other things the G can provide over STi or Evo or any other cars in this price range.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:40 PM
STi is practical, but it will wear you out more than G Coupe would on long drives. I drive 400 miles to VA from OH and back frequently, so I needed a car that is comfortable on long drives. I don't see any problems with using G in light snow with snow tires... I don't drive in heavy snows anyway no matter what car I have.

TSX, TL, and Lexus doesn't match the performance of G. Acuras are FWD, which is inferior in terms of performance, and has less power than G. Lexus is just simply laggin in power department with their IS300... So the G coupe is the best performing car in this segment.

After I get over the leather seats and good looking *****, there is comfortable ride, more safety, and overall better quality car than STi or Evo. Oh, plus a lot better styling I'm willing to sacrifice some performance in order to get those other things the G can provide over STi or Evo or any other cars in this price range.

What makes you think the STI is unbearable for long drives? I recently drove 8 hours strait in my STI and it was a cake walk. Those rumors you hear about the STI's horrible drivability in everyday driving/long commutes is completely false! Again..when you look at the packages Acura/Lexus/infiniti and other cars in that category offer they are almost identical, minus the great design of the G. More Safety???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever driven a WRX Sti or Lancer EVO?