G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Any Issues with 05 G's ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 12:08 AM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
if you can change the clutch in your car as often as a "race car" gets its clutch changed that's fine... but yes, it recieves MUCH more punishment if you downshift without rev matching and use the CLUTCH to slow down..

To downshift, then slowly letting out the clutch pedal to slow down, does not "make the engine help me brake" it literally uses the clutch as a brake pad.

But if you rev match the engine will have more resistance against it in higher RPMS and that resistance will cause it to slow the car down. THIS is "engine braking". The method described earlier is not using the engine to brake, again, it is using the clutch to brake.

I dont need to email anybody or ask anybody how to engine brake. Thanks for the advice though. If you understand the mechanics of a clutch engine and flywheel then you would understand so maybe you should do a little research first.

FYI: Brake, not break.

Last edited by mc2; 04-29-2005 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mc2
if you can change the clutch in your car as often as a "race car" gets its clutch changed that's fine... but yes, it recieves MUCH more punishment if you downshift without rev matching and use the CLUTCH to slow down..

To downshift, then slowly letting out the clutch pedal to slow down, does not "make the engine help me brake" it literally uses the clutch as a brake pad.

But if you rev match the engine will have more resistance against it in higher RPMS and that resistance will cause it to slow the car down. THIS is "engine braking". The method described earlier is not using the engine to brake, again, it is using the clutch to brake.

I dont need to email anybody or ask anybody how to engine brake. Thanks for the advice though. If you understand the mechanics of a clutch engine and flywheel then you would understand so maybe you should do a little research first.

i agree with mc2. i think the mt vs at is just a stupid topic... people buy the transmission they are the most comfortable with and enjoy to drive. i think either/or will give u pretty much the same performace aspects if your looking at straight line or anything else. plus... if someone complains about the following car then they need to get their head checked.

Attached Thumbnails Any Issues with 05 G's ?-im000120-medium-.jpg   Any Issues with 05 G's ?-im000124-medium-.jpg   Any Issues with 05 G's ?-im000126-medium-.jpg   Any Issues with 05 G's ?-im000123-medium-.jpg   Any Issues with 05 G's ?-im000125-medium-.jpg  

Old 04-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mc2

well said... if you're going to bash AT cars then at least know what you're talking about lol

Old 04-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by myGspot
i'm not really concerned with cd player because i'll be putting in a computer hopefully within a few months. This way i can elliminate the CDs and hassles of switching. PLus i think watching music videos is way cooler then listening to the sound alone.

I know on my 03 i noticed some uneven tire wear. Anything like this on the G?
I would think you want to keep your eyes on the road

Old 04-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Nice car, cheap floor mats.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Vanquish has paddles... which I read they sux. The ones in the DB9 are great supposedly.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by G35_coupe_6MT
Shifting from 1st to 2nd, I can make wheels spin by revving high and then releasing clutch... Also... if you are going in 4th gear and want to break faster than just pushing break, you downshift to 2nd gear and release clutch slowly and engine helps you break in a more controlable way (using clutch) than Auto cars.
Wow. If people on this forum actually drive their 6MT cars like that, I've just pinpointed from where all the "My clutch went out at 15,000 miles" threads are coming.

Hideous, utterly wrong, ah, "technique." Your clutch disk will be a glazed, smoking circle of charcoal if you keep driving like that. To each his own, but you really should enroll in a basic performance driving class to learn theory and practical skills related to manual shifting like heel-and-toeing, rev-matching (they go together), double-clutching (not necessary with most passenger cars today but still a nifty trick), etc.

I think you'd come away with three things: One, a serious appreciation for your car's manual drivetrain; two, amazement at your lack of knowledge before you walked in the door; and three, a happier G.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:24 AM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JKWright
Wow. If people on this forum actually drive their 6MT cars like that, I've just pinpointed from where all the "My clutch went out at 15,000 miles" threads are coming.

Hideous, utterly wrong, ah, "technique." Your clutch disk will be a glazed, smoking circle of charcoal if you keep driving like that. To each his own, but you really should enroll in a basic performance driving class to learn theory and practical skills related to manual shifting like heel-and-toeing, rev-matching (they go together), double-clutching (not necessary with most passenger cars today but still a nifty trick), etc.

I think you'd come away with three things: One, a serious appreciation for your car's manual drivetrain; two, amazement at your lack of knowledge before you walked in the door; and three, a happier G.
What do you mean man? That guy sounds like a PRO! why dont you email his friend over at BBC and have him teach YOU a thing or two buddy.

Old 04-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by mc2
What do you mean man? That guy sounds like a PRO! why dont you email his friend over at BBC and have him teach YOU a thing or two buddy.
Who do you think taught me how to drive? Tiffy and I go way back.

BTW, A.J. Foyt taught me that speed shifting cleans off the synchros, hardens the input shaft and conditions the clutch disk, all at the same time. According to him, it's the key to long transmission and clutch life.

"Boy," he said, "you do that all day, every day and yer ricey car'll never see the inside of a shop."

"You sure about that, Mr. Foyt?" I replied.

"Knuckle sandwich says ask me again."

Truer words were never spoken.