G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 Vs. American Cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There really is no debate on this topic.

Protectionism, as is always the case, seems good at the time it is enacted. In the case of domestic automobile manufacturers, people kept jobs and Americans got horrific, horrific automobiles. For some time now, the domestic makes are reaping the only true outcome of protectionism. They were spoiled by being allowed to make horrible cars, and hence were protected from having to compete. Now that they have to compete, they don't know how. They're too far behind in both technology and talent.

Just analyze some of the domestic cars posters are stating that are still "Ok"; you see a wasteland of solid rear axles, fiberglass bodies, leaf springs, pushrod motors and iron engine blocks. This stuff is museum material for the Japanese makers. And just add in the quality issues...
The big 2 1/2 are making much better cars, but so are the Japanese. There's no feasible way they'll be caught.

In 2004, GM made $3.7B in profit on $193B in sales. Not only is it nonsensical, it's wealth destruction at a 1.9% return. Also note that $2.9B of profit was from GMAC, GM's financing division. It's taking $193B to make $800M in profit from the sales of its automobiles??? Does this sound like a sustainable enterprise???

Toyota made more profit last year than the Ford, GM and DCX combined. In fact, Toyota could by GM outright, with cash. I just wish they'd hurry the hell up. An aluminum-bodied Corvette with a DOHC motor could be OK.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Gman2004
I am sure RBull paid a pretty penny to buy or get that camaro this way.
I built this car from a shell and I have less money in it than anyone here that bought a new G. I have less than 25K in the car total. I was not talking down the G. I love my G, I was only replying to the post from Jtrain who said.

"Yeah old american muscle may be fast, may look cool, but lets face it"

"If you raced a ol' GTO on a road course, wouldn't the G35 handling smoke it in the corners?"

Old 05-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Hotrod
I built this car from a shell and I have less money in it than anyone here that bought a new G. I have less than 25K in the car total. I was not talking down the G. I love my G, I was only replying to the post from Jtrain who said.

"Yeah old american muscle may be fast, may look cool, but lets face it"

"If you raced a ol' GTO on a road course, wouldn't the G35 handling smoke it in the corners?"
I think he was probably talking about stock G vs. stock old school GTO on a road course.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Rookie84
You gotta be ****ing kidding me. Numbers from magazine tests alone should give you enough hint.
yea i almost fell of my chair!

Old 05-16-2005, 10:46 AM
I would never buy an American car.

Oops, I just did, what was I thinking?

Old 05-16-2005, 10:57 AM
hows the magnum? GAWD i wish they came in 6spd. id get an awd 6spd R/T. it'll be like my car with turbo upgrades

Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Are you guys kidding? The only American cars you would get is a vette, viper, or trucks? Did you guys not know about the Ford GT. That car kicks a$$, of course it would be almost impossible to own one but still would you not get it if you could. As for me, I don't love American cars, but I would still own one if I liked the styling. I would get a Cadillac Escalade or STS.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by rage777
Are you guys kidding? The only American cars you would get is a vette, viper, or trucks? Did you guys not know about the Ford GT. That car kicks a$$, of course it would be almost impossible to own one but still would you not get it if you could. As for me, I don't love American cars, but I would still own one if I liked the styling. I would get a Cadillac Escalade or STS.
I am sorry but that the price you would pay for a GT, I would use my money for an exotic IMO.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:36 AM
The problem is that American car manufacturer's don't make anything that's in the G35C range...a luxury sport coupe. I don't consider a GTO or a Mustang luxury by any means. Now a CTS-V Coupe might turn my head.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by tiblot
*most* american cars are complete utter waste of money
they have HORRIBLE interior design, disgusting exterior and complete illogical engine design

ie. the new mustang GT. Its a v8 that outputs 300 hp? Is that not a lack of power or what. Our V6's put 298 out ....

However, I did say *most*. The newest vette is very impressive ....

Yeah how much do you think a Mustang GT costs?? 25~28K Talk about bang for your buck...and oh dont forget the torque numbers on it....

Old 05-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by tomcatm
Yeah how much do you think a Mustang GT costs?? 25~28K Talk about bang for your buck...
Yeah and 1 year later it is worth $15K.......

Old 05-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rage777

Ford GT= nothing but problems so far.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Bruce Gee
I'm not a Domestic car fan at all but I have to give props to today's Cadillac's! Major props to their exterior designs its like "WOW". I like the CTS-V Series which pumps 400 horses w/Brembos...but not for 50k?! On 50K budget and picking a domestic car, it will have to be the '05 Vette all the way.

Old 05-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Um Hum...

I will be taking delivery of a G35 within the next 30 days. It will be only the 2nd non-american car I have ever owned. To play devil's advocate, I've had a lot of really great American made cars over the last 40 years. But, to the present.....

I've owned an 02 Corvette now for a little over a year. I can not imagine how one can look at that car and not think, that truly IS America's favorite sports car. I use it for a DD, have had on the track (full - high-bank turns at TMS) and on road course. And, yes it's almost bone stock.

I'm getting the G35 SOLELY because of it style AND performance. It looks nice, but I would not classify it by any means as Superior to others. My C5 vette will honesly get 19-20 MPG in city driving and nearing 30 MPG highway, and it's pumping out 350 ponies all the time. At 140 MPH it feels as stable as a rock and there is plenty more MPH's left - just not with my foot on the gas!

Now, on the upside, I am buying a G35 because of what I saw of it at the racetrack a couple of months ago. I have to admit, I was VERY impressed, but the ride is completely different. I had to put up a chopped up terribly edited video to show all the C5 guys about it.

Wanna see it? First 3 laps or so, just me - in no traffic, then blends into running up behind a G35. Then again towards the end, another encounter with it. HP to HP- no contest. Handling - not bad Do take note though how much the G looses suspension at the higher speeds on the hi-bank - compared to the C5 - Really loads up the front right side. Top speed across S/F line - (C5) 135-140. Don't know about the G35. Only went with one once across the line and it was less than 110.

Anway, as they say --- seeing is believing.

C5 Vette and G35 at Texas Motor Speedway - Don't even think about it at 56k

It's easy to like both cars for what they are. I am very anxious about the addition of the G35 to my rides - but it's got a LOT of living up to it's looks and performance before I can cast a valid vote.

~~~~~

Last edited by AvFlyGuy; 05-16-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Deang35c6
The problem is that American car manufacturer's don't make anything that's in the G35C range...a luxury sport coupe. I don't consider a GTO or a Mustang luxury by any means. Now a CTS-V Coupe might turn my head.

I agree with you 100%. I did dirve a CTS-V and i can tell you its a blast and you gota love the torque on the V-8

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Vs. American Cars