G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Speed Channel: GTO vs G35 vs 330ci vs Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another G35 and LS1 owner here. You can't argue the real world. My SS and the G35 get about the same gas milage. And believe it or not, on a long highway trip, I actually get better gas mileage with the LS1!!! I'll be cruising at 85 MPH cruising in 6th gear, and my RPM's are like 1800 rpm!! And as far as CAGS, I don't know one person who hasn't (very easily) disabled CAGS. The only time I had CAGS active was on the drive home from the dealer.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=174
(takes like 30 seconds once under car is accessable)

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...lder_id=551133

Originally Posted by EX-250
For you people who honestly think that the GTO gets uber gas mileage... do a google search on the word CAGS.

Thats why EVERY LS* car GM has produced gets "great" gas mileage. Even my fathers old ZR1 had CAGS. The gas mileage is measured using the CAGS shift assist... or shift defeat... whatever you want to call it. The only LS* car that does not come with CAGS is the Z06. Either that or they had disabled the one I was tracking @ Bondurant. Fact of the matter is, if my V6 with 300 hp gets as good of gas mileage doing 3K rpm shifting in every gear vs a 400 hp car that gets the same gas mileage being shifted 1 4 5 6, then I guess Ill have to live knowing that. Oh and by the way, those trannies are 4 running gears, over drive and DOUBLE over drive. We have 5 short ratio running gears and one over drive. Do the math.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by TheGest
Groupbuy On Selling G35 And Buying Gto Lets Start

1 The Gest
hahahahah.......anyone who actually did that would be crying within a week....the pontiac dealer they traded their G to would be like"....no...can't have it back....no....it was sold....a deal is a deal....no!"....then dealer would get in his newly aquired G and drive it home.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For you people who honestly think that the GTO gets uber gas mileage... do a google search on the word CAGS.

Thats why EVERY LS* car GM has produced gets "great" gas mileage. Even my fathers old ZR1 had CAGS. The gas mileage is measured using the CAGS shift assist... or shift defeat... whatever you want to call it. The only LS* car that does not come with CAGS is the Z06. Either that or they had disabled the one I was tracking @ Bondurant. Fact of the matter is, if my V6 with 300 hp gets as good of gas mileage doing 3K rpm shifting in every gear vs a 400 hp car that gets the same gas mileage being shifted 1 4 5 6, then I guess Ill have to live knowing that. Oh and by the way, those trannies are 4 running gears, over drive and DOUBLE over drive. We have 5 short ratio running gears and one over drive. Do the math.
i don't even understand what your saying. cags could be by-passed on the vette very easily with a simple diy mod. in any case cags would only activate if throttle response was below a certain percentage. any mid to full throttle response would not activate the cags. another trick is to just hold the clutch in for another second until the skip-shift light dissapears and u can then slide into second gear. the vette has 5 running gears with 1 overdrive. as far as i understand it... my G has 6 running gears with no overdrive. with my older vette i used to average 11 l/100 whereas i'm getting about 15 l/100 on my current G. that's a big difference considering the amount of extra power and acceleration was put out by my vette. your assumptions above are flawed from the get-go. i guess just another hater on this forum. overall, i consider the ls far better overall than our engines.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Gto=girl pick up at the curb and leave at the curb.......G35 is...the one you actually bring home...

G35=no brainer
Gto=no brain

Old 05-20-2005, 10:15 AM
im pretty sure i get this speed channel.. will check when i get home

Old 05-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G and GTO

G and the GTO I think are two different cars in a different class.
GTO should be compared to a mustang or other muscle cars. G35 has far more class, options and luxury and even though very sporty, powerful and fast it is not considered a muscle car. People who love mustangs or can't get a vette get GTOs, if I had more money I'd get a 540i or M5, cause that's what I love, lots of performance and handling to match in a classy package. And that's the difference. All in each persons' preference. I would love to have a muscle car to beat on, but not as my only car.

Oh, and Speed channel is channel 150 on dishnetwork.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look, the cars cost the nearly the same, so people that buy comparably priced cars other than the G buy that other car because they obviously prefer it to the G. Remember also that many union members would not be caught in a non-domestic manufacturer's car - in fact some wouldn't be allowed to park in some union parking lots. In my opinion, if people buy a GTO for any reason and they are happy with it, more power to them. I test drove both and bought the G for many reasons, not the least of which is that there just aren't any luxury options on the GTO. No sunroof, no MM, weak stereo, etc. For me, pressing the gas and going fast in a straight line is exciting, but that excitement wears off after a few car payments.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Rookie84
G coupe with LS engine would be perfect... haha.
That would be the perfect combo! Looks, luxury, and power! Not to mention that nice V8 exhaust note.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by da45king
Gto=girl pick up at the curb and leave at the curb.......G35 is...the one you actually bring home...

G35=no brainer
Gto=no brain
good one!

Old 05-20-2005, 01:33 PM
I agree with Cassman... i've purchased my G because it simply has more luxury and features for the price. And in my opinion is more reliable in the long run. 6.0/400 hp is nice when your a speedaholic. But if you not speeding, the car IMO is pretty lame, nothing to play with interior/luxury wise and seems boring.

G35- Luxury/Performance/Value/Styling
GTO-Perfomance/Styling..uhhhhhh

Hope you GTO owners/buyers outrun speeding tickets too

Old 05-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Deang35c6
...And then she was like "shut up", but then he was like "no, you shut up", and then she was like, "no, YOU shut up" and then he was like, "no, you shut up" and then she was like "well, you started it" and then he was like "did not" and then she was like " did too" and then he was like "did not" and then she was like "did too", and then he was like " shut up"...

Old 05-20-2005, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats why EVERY LS* car GM has produced gets "great" gas mileage. Even my fathers old ZR1 had CAGS. The gas mileage is measured using the CAGS shift assist... or shift defeat... whatever you want to call it.
No offense, but you're wrong here. CAGS is not the only reason LS series V-8 cars get great mileage. CAGS only helps with city MPG ratings, since it forces a 1 to 4 shift under light acceleration in city driving. CAGS has no effect on highway MPG.

When stock, my Z06 averaged 28 MPG on the highway. I have no idea what the city rating was, but the CAGS brought it up high enough that it avoided the federal gas guzzler tax, which was like $1,500. CAGS is a clever solution to a stupid law (gas guzzler tax). In 5 minutes and for a $20 plug in bypass, I had the CAGS eliminated on my Z06, and GM's clever idea saved me from paying a $1,500 gas guzzler tax. Thank you GM!

Oddly enough, when I was going to buy an M3, it's puny 3.2L I-6 was hit with the gas guzzler tax, as it had a worse fuel economy rating than my Z06 in both city and highway. So much for technology. Makes you wonder why the Germans couldn't figure out a way around the gas guzzler tax like GM did.

The only LS* car that does not come with CAGS is the Z06. Either that or they had disabled the one I was tracking @ Bondurant.
They had it disabled - my Z06, and every Z06 came with CAGS from the factory. Again, easily disabled in 5 minutes and $20 (actually $2 if you're willing to make the bypass yourself).

Oh and by the way, those trannies are 4 running gears, over drive and DOUBLE over drive. We have 5 short ratio running gears and one over drive. Do the math.
Who cares? That's one of the advantages of having a large displacement pushrod V-8 - they produce enough low-end torque that you can keep the highway speed cruising RPM's very low with a tall overdrive without lugging the engine, which saves fuel and wear on the engine.

The math? My Z06 with headers, intake and exhaust, now gets 33 MPG on the highway, and I average 25 MPG in mixed city/highway commuting to work, while producing 450hp. Oh, and that's without CAGS

My G35 6MT Coupe gets 26 MPG on the highway, and I average 21 MPG in mixed city/highway commuting to work, while producing 280hp with 2 fewer cylinders and only 3.5L of displacement.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm staying out of this one, but Daniel_G, it was "different" to see your SS Camaro at work today instead the the G! WTF??? When you fired her up tonight , she just about blew out my windows with that "exhaust rumble!" One sweet ride Bro!

2003-G35C-5AT Laser Red/Black/Prem/XM/Tint/Chrome 17's/Black Badged

Old 05-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
i don't even understand what your saying. cags could be by-passed on the vette very easily with a simple diy mod. in any case cags would only activate if throttle response was below a certain percentage. any mid to full throttle response would not activate the cags. another trick is to just hold the clutch in for another second until the skip-shift light dissapears and u can then slide into second gear. the vette has 5 running gears with 1 overdrive. as far as i understand it... my G has 6 running gears with no overdrive. with my older vette i used to average 11 l/100 whereas i'm getting about 15 l/100 on my current G. that's a big difference considering the amount of extra power and acceleration was put out by my vette. your assumptions above are flawed from the get-go. i guess just another hater on this forum. overall, i consider the ls far better overall than our engines.

Ok here we go... lets get out the suit for this one cuz I can feel it coming.

a) They test the rated gas mileage with CAGS enabled. If you choose to disable it, its not like you get a new window sticker with your new gas mileage written down on it. Obviously, your gonna not get exactly the listed gas mileage if you disable cags, as they rate the car WITH IT ON. The point I was making was the great city mileage they get is rated with cags enabled.

b) The G has 5 running gears, and 1 overdrive. The T56 has 4 running gears and 2 overdrives. Dont believe me, lets compare ratios

The G35
1st: 3.79:1
2nd: 2.32:1
3rd: 1.62:1
4th: 1.27:1
5th: 1.00:1 <---- This is your "highest" possible ratio without being overdrive
6th: 0.79:1 <---- This is OVER drive..... note its <1:1 thats what over drive is

The T56 Transmission (Z28, Firebird, Vette, GTO, etc)
1st: 2.66:1
2nd: 1.78:1
3rd: 1.30:1
4th: 1.00:1 <----- Note this EQUALS our 5th gear ratio
5th: 0.74:1 <---- overdrive!
6th: .50:1 <---- huuuuuuge over drive this is why a 5.7 L can get GREAT highway gas mileage.

So anyway, what assumptions were there? As I said... The G gets A gas mileage, and the GTO gets B gas mileage by using "tricks" I guess you could say. It HAS the low end tq to have TWO overdriven gears giving it highway mileage. It has CAGS to get its rating to stay under the gas guzzler tax (as z06ified had said) and get its ratings higher. I was in now way bashing the two things. All I was saying was, its apples and oranges to compare a vq's gas mileage to a ls's gas mileage. When all things are equal, Gearing and computers give that pushrod its great gas mileage. Im not bashing in anyway, believe me, I wouldnt bash an engine that is all about raw power... its a great thing. I was just saying, if your gonna "compare the two in terms of mileage" remember its not that the V8 doesnt drink alot of fuel, its that there are systems in place to get it to that gas mileage.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the GTO. I almost bought one. However, for a car that stickers for 35k, you don't get sunroof, climate control, heated seats, options for navi, etc. That's why I didn't buy one. Than and the plain jane wheels they had in 04'.

But all that aside, the thing that ticks me off with GM lately, is their advertising. (I'm not bashing GM, as I still own a Pontiac GTP).

In the advertising for their GTP, they claim best performance in class, and even advertise that it outperforms the BMW 330i. Then when you look at the details they published, the 0-60 times of the 330i they got are slower than almost every magazine time I've seen. And on top of that, it wasn't even equipped with performance package.

Now look at the new Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. (Which is also on that speed channel thing, along with a G35 Sedan.) They are again claiming best performance, and are claiming it as besting the G35 too, but they are only comparing it against the automatic equipped G35. Apparently because the GXP only comes in an automatic. Nevermind the fact they are comparing a 5.3 litre V8 engine, to the G35's V6. People say it's a great value at $29,995, but I priced one out, and with leather, navi, and a few other options, it stickers for $36k, which is more than the sticker of a GTO, and more than what I paid for my fully loaded G35. Of course, everyone I talk to, tells me that only an idiot pays sticker, and that after incentives and such, you can get it for under 30. I wish GM would stop with the silly incentives games, and just price the cars realistically.

Anyways, they are also claiming the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP as the best handling and performing FWD sport sedan offered in North America. Even though the published numbers for it in both acceleration and handling are worse then the published numbers for the Acura TL A-Spec.

Last edited by avs007; 05-22-2005 at 12:21 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Speed Channel: GTO vs G35 vs 330ci vs Mustang GT