G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 Coupe and the RSX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
G35 Coupe and the RSX

Yesterday I finally got a chance to test drive the two cars I am considering for purchase: the RSX Type S and the G35. I know they are completely different cars and not even in the same category but these are my choices.

Both cars have their strengths.

The RSX sounds really demented, very high strung. The car does not sound “stock”, it sounds like it has aftermarket intake and exhaust. I have experience with many Hondas but this one just sounds and feels pretty good/fast. The build quality seems ok, the interior does not feel as solid as my 6th Gen. Accord but overall I think its ok. The trans is good, very smooth, what I expect from Honda. But I can get over the growl of the engine, not sure if it would annoy me after time, it is just loud..even when you are not “flooring” it.

Then I drove the G35, I know these are “way different” but they are what I am considering.

The G35 has a lot of power ( I drove the auto, that is what I would get) but it does not feel tremendously faster than the RSX. It has way more torque but to me it didn’t feel like it would beat the RSX by that much. The finish of the car is good, not excellent, but good. The interior feels a little cheap, which I did not expect in this car.

As for my choice, still undecided. I can but the RSX and still have cash to mod it a little, maybe fancy stereo, springs, etc…just some regular mods…or I can get G35 and leave stock. It would make for a better daily driver since I can get auto…I know I know about auto and stick, stick is better for performance but I live in Los Angeles and the traffic kills, especially on the hour commute (each way) to work.

Anyone have any other experience with these two cars?

Old 05-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you're contradicting yourself. if you're worried about the traffic, why are you considering the Type-S as it comes only in stick.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Cmon Son!
definitely do a search on this. We had a long discussion about these cars.

I came from an 02 type S and understand your concerns. It is true that the G will not outrageously rip a RSX a new one, but will beat one quite easily. The feel of the G is a lot smoother due to the power curve of the motor. You really get to feel that torque when you are pulling at lower speeds in higher gears. It feels good to not always have to downshift (I have 6MT as you may now be able to tell). The RSX S is a really good car though, dont get me wrong. It just wasnt in my taste of refinement. IT was an excellent daily driver, but car noise can be annoying to those that arent pumping up a stereo. I just hated how below 4k rpm that the car felt like a normal civic, but when Vtec kicks in, the exhilleration takes over. The G on the other hand is just mean.

I wouldnt trade back unless I was on hard times for cash....so I dont plan on it

Old 05-25-2005, 11:15 AM
The RSX-S is a fine car; just not for me personally. I'm not a fan of FWD in anything other than a barebones commuter, and I'm tired of buzzy four-cylinders.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:19 AM
imo the G35 is WAY better than a RSX.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should hold my comments on this one for I am in love with my G and I suppose that would influence my point of view.

But since feelings for my car has nothing to do with the truth...

RWD > FWD
G35's Acura rival IS NOT the RSX.
Sports Luxury > Car with great prospects to be RICED.

One thing though... this is a G forum so expect 90% of the people (including me) vote G!

I suppose you are asking the same thing in the RSX forums arent you? I'd love for you to tell us the link to that thread. RSX community think and post differently than most of the ppl here (as a big part of them are RiceBoys). I'd love to see why they (those who say RSX is better) would choose the RSX over a G. G is a world away from RSX, Im sorry, but there is no other way to put it. If you have the chance to get a G there is no reason not to get it.

Last edited by G35_coupe_6MT; 05-25-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by G35_coupe_6MT
I'd love to see why they (those who say RSX is better) would choose the RSX over a G.
I suppose cost would be the largest thing.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by G3NIU5
you're contradicting yourself. if you're worried about the traffic, why are you considering the Type-S as it comes only in stick.

I'd have to agree with G3NIU5. I think you have a huge dilemma. If money is a big factor, then you should just go with the Type S. It basically saving you at least 10G (if you are buying new vs. new). I'm personally not a G owner, but if I had to choose between the two, and price was not a factor, then I would definately choose the G. Looks better, more power, navi. option, and RWD fun.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I think your point about money left for mod's is a very interesting topic...

I came from a modded Prelude (5th Gen, very similar to a RSX in many ways) and decided to jump up to a G35...and although ive modded my G a little, i gave up the ability to get mod-crazy by buying a more expensive car. Did i make the right choice???...sometimes i think so, but other days, i wish i was back in my Lude with a Turbo kit, crazy wheels and a stereo system from hell!!! But then i sit back in my comfy leather seat, turn on the heated seats, look at my slick Navigation, and turn up the bose stereo and i loveeee my G...

Tough call...do what u think is best for YOUR situation, but make sure that if you get that RSX that you TURBO the SHIIIT out of it!!!!!

Gluck

Old 05-25-2005, 01:00 PM
I test drove the RSX as well. It's closer to a loaded civic than a G. It's not quick, although it may feel like it. You can't get motorized seats and I don't think you can even get leather. The stereo is terrible. The interior is just plan blah. The hatchback with the rear wiper is ummm...well....It's basically a very entry level Acura. The price tag should also give you a hint. The TL and the G are a closer match.

These are apples and oranges. You have to prefer one or the other. Do you feel like you want an apple or an orange? Get the one you want. If I was a penny pincher I would consider the RSX.

This question just seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did post on the RSX forum here:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=273082

I am also leaning more toward the G35 C now, I do like both alot but the G35 is just NICER.
I will give it a little more thought

Old 05-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Cars aren't even comparable...G all the way...

Old 05-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy a G 6MT if you can afford it. You won't regret it. If you buy a RSX Type-S, I understand the Type-S has a manual transmission only. The G looks far better, V-6 is better than a four cylinder, G is smoother and faster, G has awesome exhaust note, G impresses the chicks vastly better than a RSX does....

Old 05-25-2005, 01:52 PM
mrb
I've thought about this at length since I used to own a Type S RSX and I'm waiting on my G to get here from Japan. It's really a tough call, it's hard to justify the extra $10k without having the $10 in extra performance. The G is faster but not $10k faster. The brakes are much better I can tell you that. At the end of the day I'm more concerned with power and performance than looks and luxury.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by mrb
I've thought about this at length since I used to own a Type S RSX and I'm waiting on my G to get here from Japan. It's really a tough call, it's hard to justify the extra $10k without having the $10 in extra performance. The G is faster but not $10k faster. The brakes are much better I can tell you that. At the end of the day I'm more concerned with power and performance than looks and luxury.
If you want the best bang for the buck for power and performance, the G isn't the right choice at all. I bought it because it's the total package; aesthetics, performance, comfort, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Coupe and the RSX