G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Speedometer not working, VDC and ABS lights on.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2005 | 05:07 PM
|
Florida G35 Club Member
Speedometer not working, VDC and ABS lights on.

My friends G35 has the following problems. Ever since he took his car to a dealer and the battery died and they jumped it, his alarm did not work. To fix his alarm, he took off the bottom part of the dash below the steering well and removed a fuse and put it back in a few moments later. This cleared up the problem with the alarm, now his speedometer does not work and his VDC off and abs lights are lit. And the odometer isnt reading. Does anyone know what this could be or how to fix it?

Old 05-30-2005 | 08:03 PM
www.g35tt.com
If the Battery died when it was at the dealer, tell them to fix it. If it was your friends fault that battery died, take it back to the dealer. These things should be covered under warranty, unless there are certain mods that will void everything. It sounds like there is a bad wiring problem from aftermarket alarm, radar detector, stereo, or something else. We need more info on what the car had in it first.

Old 05-30-2005 | 09:00 PM
hey, its my car. I have a python 881xp alarm that has been working fine for like 8 months now. Thus, its nt a wiring problem with the alarm. I also have a system that has been in even longer than the alarm, so its not this either. Recently the battery died at the dealer and everything was working fine except the alarm. so i took the bottom part of my dash, under the steering wheel off and found a fuse that appeared to have some relevance to my alarm. I took the fuse out for a couple min. and looked over it to see if it looked good, which it did. Then i put it back in and my alarm works beautifully, however my vdc off light and abs light wont go off, my spedometer dooes not work, and this causes my odometer to not work either. And just recently my engine service soon light came on. I have NO idea what is going on with this but I am calling the dealer tommorrow and taking it in. This one seems to be above me, but any help would be appreciated as I am not looking forwad to not having my car for however long it takes the dealer. Thanks for your help guys.

-Jimmy

Old 05-30-2005 | 10:04 PM
|
Florida G35 Club Member
Seems like the dealership is the best alternative. Hopefully all will work out ok.
Lips

Old 05-31-2005 | 02:28 AM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
If it were me, I'd try an ECU reset (found in our DIY/FAQ forum) to see if the lights reset.
If that didn't work, then the dealer will have to look at it.
G/L
C.

Old 05-31-2005 | 11:27 AM
Banned
Be prepared to fight light Hell to get the dealer to even look at it for free if you have an aftermarket alarm installed. When dealers see any non stock wiring under the dash they typically run and hide behind voided warranties because they arn't skilled enough to troubleshoot any not-normal car.

I would expect the first thing they will want to do is to charge YOU for them to uninstall the alarm and return all wiring to stock. Then, they will go through their steps and fix the problem. If it is traced back to an ECU problem they will show you how your alarm backfed and fried the ECU, especially if your alarm is tied in to the fuse box (which should NEVER happen if you had it professionaly installed).

I would call your installer and get them involved. They should have someone trained to deal with dealerships in a situation like this (I used to be in a similar position at Circuit City) Don't let the dealership uninstall the alarm, as you will be stuck paying to have it re installed down the road.... Also, you will need someone 'qualified' to evaluate the dealerships findings when or if they try to pin the damage on you and your alarm.

This is a worst case scenario. If your dealership is cool you won't have to mess with any of this stuff, but if they arn't customer service oriented be prepared for a fight. I'll never forget some of the arguements I had with service managers....

Old 05-31-2005 | 11:46 AM
well i did run into a problem once with the alarm already in which i had to get the shop to pay for a new ecu for my car. And then a new ECU was installed by the dealer with the alarm. Thus the alarm is almost done by the dealer. The dealer had said that everything on the alarm is wired fine now and there are no problems with it. So thats going to help me out when/if arguing with the dealership.

Old 05-31-2005 | 12:00 PM
all the ECU reset did was get my CEL light off. My VDC off and abs lights are still on and the speedometer is still shot.

Old 05-31-2005 | 01:08 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by g35Nu
well i did run into a problem once with the alarm already in which i had to get the shop to pay for a new ecu for my car. And then a new ECU was installed by the dealer with the alarm. Thus the alarm is almost done by the dealer. The dealer had said that everything on the alarm is wired fine now and there are no problems with it. So thats going to help me out when/if arguing with the dealership.
Wow, thats scary....

I'm not sure which is worse, and aftermarket place managed to screw up your ECU or that the dealer installed an aftermarket alarm!

Old 05-31-2005 | 02:05 PM
And here I sit at the dealership. Hoping that it will be a quick easy fix and i can get out of here. And technically they didnt install it, they just plugged it into the new ECU. It was wired fine but apparently when they were probing for power or something, they managed to fry something. I do not know all of the technicalities of it but that the dealer plugged it back into the new ECU. I just realized this is not at all my name, someone was apparently signed on here on this comp. haha im gonna go sign on my name now but its G35Nu here, sorry to whoever's name this is.

Last edited by Red04Coupe; 05-31-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-31-2005 | 02:12 PM
Banned
haha

Old 05-31-2005 | 02:24 PM
I just realized that post i just accidently made was that guy's 1st post. Sorry I popped your cherry man!

Old 05-31-2005 | 03:58 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
I just realized that post i just accidently made was that guy's 1st post. Sorry I popped your cherry man!
You can't sign in as someone else. You now have 2 member names.
C.

Old 05-31-2005 | 05:41 PM
i didnt sign in i was at the dealership and whoever that is was already signed on and im used to being at my comp, where i am automatically signed on . So, he left his name signed on and remembered and i didnt think about signing in and i just posted. Its not my name at all. My car isn't even red.

Old 05-31-2005 | 07:37 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
i didnt sign in i was at the dealership and whoever that is was already signed on and im used to being at my comp, where i am automatically signed on . So, he left his name signed on and remembered and i didnt think about signing in and i just posted. Its not my name at all. My car isn't even red.
Ya don't worry about it. Someone signed up and logged in and didn't post. Only post is the one you did.
C.