G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

g35...mod advice, input, questions....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g35...mod advice, input, questions....

Hey all,

I just signed up here on the boards. Currently, I have sold my 03 explorer and am looking at g35 coupes. I have some questions.

I have been into the modified car scene for a while and have a 94 rx-7 with all engine and performance modifications per my driving needs. It puts down 415 rwhp with 126mph trap speeds. I do not want another vehicle that constantly breaks due to heavy modffication. I may keep the fd3s and use it for autox on the weekends but I want a daily driver with some spirit.

with my rx, i found that i was pushing into unreliable territory after i surpassed 370rwhp. I spent considerable time and planning to reach the 400rwhp mark and while it is performing well I still fear the day i hear detonation from a bad tank of gas or the like. the further one mods the less reliable the vehicle gets.

I really like the looks of the g35. It could use a little more umpf and I am wondering which modification paths are successful in the g35 community (ie supercharging over turbo charging, etc..). What is the threshold where modded g35 drivers are finding themselves needing a beater or second vehicle in case their modded g breaks...yikes.

for example...certain ignition amps for my rx are much better and more reliable than others...or certain exhausts sound like ****e...or certain fuel pumps are prone to failure. knowing a full mod list for my needs based on the valuable experience of the g community would be appreciated.

I would be happy with a 300rwhp daily driver and am hoping that there has been enough testing and trials with modifying this vehicle that I may be pointed in a good path. if people are still in the guinie pig stage with these cars and mods then I would probably just do the exhaust, intake, headers, fuel and basics...however I always get the itch for more guts under the hood.

any suggestions on which mod lists have found success would be appreciated.

are many people pushing 280-320rwhp experiencing many difficulties (are people even reaching this regularily with the current mods available).....not counting difficulties beyond proper modding and tuning (ie not putting a supercharger on the vehicle without doing fuel and the like haha)?

if you ask people on the rx boards there are certain successful paths of which we have found. I helped design my own based on how I wanted the car to drive and handle. I am hoping you all might have some input for me as I am venturing away from the rotary scene and into these greener pastures.

Thanks much

J

Old 06-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I would be happy with a 300rwhp daily driver
This would be easy with bolt ons I would think and you wouldn't sacrifice relability. If you get an MT6 you have a "published" 298hp, headers, hf cats, exhaust, etc. might get you close. A Vortec SC would get you there easy. Stillen SC Stage II has a 36/36 waranty. Al this is mostly bolt on stuff. Many have said here that you can run 400whp with no internal motor mods.

Old 06-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Old 06-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
This would be easy with bolt ons I would think and you wouldn't sacrifice relability. If you get an MT6 you have a "published" 298hp, headers, hf cats, exhaust, etc. might get you close. A Vortec SC would get you there easy. Stillen SC Stage II has a 36/36 waranty. Al this is mostly bolt on stuff. Many have said here that you can run 400whp with no internal motor mods.

thanks...the few dyno sheets with basic boltons were showing 240rwhp or thereabouts. published 298 is more like 225 to the wheels according to the stock sheets i have seen. my fear is that these kits and mod paths are not fully tested.

an example is the single turbo rx7 forums. there are probably 600 people in that section with single turbo cars which should put down anywhere from 350-650rwhp. of all those cars I bet less than ten percent are actually on the road on a regular basis. i have built two fully modified cars. every time i have found that certain mod paths in theory should work well..ie upgraded turbo internals or different fuel systems....but when i actually use the stuff I find that there are many unforseens which are not yet worked out. bugs in the mod list so to speak. the risk of customization so to speak. I am wondering which mod paths are proven for this vehicle and which are not. any takers?

i am not so sure that boltons will do it alone. I have not seen any evidence of it. stillen numbers are not what i trust. it is the dyno sheets from those on the market whom run this stuff that tend to show the real deal. ive heard so much crap from vendors..including stillen..that i research everything now.

thanks much for the input. tis appreciated.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
thanks...saw that...he seems to still be in progress. is there anyone else here who has put down good numbers for any length of time?

who here is running 400rwhp without internal mods?

any input is appreciated. thanks man.

jason

Old 06-05-2005, 08:49 PM
i just found the mods section...sorry if i posted in the wrong section.

damn noobs...i tell u.

j