G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Stillen or B&B Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 04:14 AM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stillen or B&B Exhaust?

Does anyone here have either the Stillen and or the B&B exhaust system on their G35 Coupe? It's a toss up between the two for my 03 G35 6MT Coupe. I had a B&B on a 95 M3 I owned and it sounded, performed, and looked great. Never have heard or seen the Stillen systems up close. Has anyone here heard them and can give some feedback? Whats the sound levels like at idle, part and full throttle? Do you get much noise inside or is it mostly out by the tip? I look fwd to your responses.... Jonathan (new to the forum)

Old 06-09-2003, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stillen or B&B Exhaust?

Do a search on Stillen exhaust to see past reports. The search "button" is at the right end of the black bar at the top of this page.

Larry Bushaw - "There's nothing a donut won't solve!"

Old 06-09-2003, 09:18 AM

I haven't heard either in person, but from what i've read on this board....The B&B exhaust is louder than stock while the Stillen exhaust is about the same. You may find some dyno numbers in the West forum from this past weekend since Stillen had that G35/350z day.

2003.5 CB Coupe 6MT
Pics

Old 06-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, heres an AV link off of B&B website. It features the Z car, but it will give everyone an idea of what the new B&B system sounds like:

http://www.bbexhaust.com/av/350z.html

and best yet, the system is under $900 unlike Stillens that will set you back over $1200. The only pro to Stillens is that its a true dual exhaust system, where as the B&B retains the stock single into dual outlet design.

Old 06-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind of hate it when people do "no, buy nonexistant Brand X based solely on hype" types of replies, but unless you're in a big hurry I would wait a little longer for the Borla exhaust. It's out for the 350Z now and the company has said they're simply waiting for a G35 Coupe to come forward so they can fit a conversion. The buzz on this unit has been big. I heard a soundclip, and it has a great, deep "thrumble" sound. Price has been only around $700. The company says you'll get over 20 hp gain, which would be huge if true. One person who had it installed and dynoed confirmed 20 hp, but didn't provide a scan of the printout. If I find one independent dyno sheet on the 'net showing higher than 15hp, I'm immediately setting aside $700 for the pre-order. Actually, I'd take less than that so long as there's no performance loss at the low end. The sound is beautiful, the price is right, and it's 20 pounds lighter than the Stillen. It's pretty much better in every conceivable way, *if* the gains can be confirmed.

So that's my nonexistant Brand-X pitch. Gotta keep the waters churning for the group buy.

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 06-09-2003, 10:48 AM

yeah, I agree - the Borla will be worth the wait - Retail is going to be $635 - not only is it going to be the cheapest exhaust on the market for the coupe, it will also be the best (HP, torque, and weight wise) - I've owned a Borla exhaust before and have seen the results it can produce (40+ HP on Chevy 350)

Old 06-09-2003, 03:29 PM

Anyone have any sound bytes of the Borla? I don't like the sound of the B&B sounds kinda ricey to much modulation. I also want the best perfromance but I just want a louder but still mellow deep sound. I also don't want to spend more than $1200 for it.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 06-09-2003, 04:41 PM

I have the B&B on my coupe and I am considering going back to stock. It sounds good but it is LOUD. At full throttle it sounds a bit ricey too IMO. Inside resonance is not bad except when trying to accelerate at low RPMs. It doesn't sound good under no load either. If you rev it at idle it will be very raspy and cackling. I think that has something to do with the pre-muffler being removed. If you want to stand out, then the B&B will be perfect for you. If you want more of a stock and stealth sound, then I would look at the Stillen or wait for the Borla. I am going to look into modifying the B&B to quiet it down and smooth it out, although it will probably sacrifice some HP. I may be selling it soon, and if you want a used B&B for a great price let me know.

Old 06-09-2003, 07:05 PM

NATE did they remove your Resonaters when installing the B&B? I didn't think they were supposed to do that during the install. I thought the B&B was supposed to be able to use the existing Resonators. This maybe be why you are getting a harsh cackling sound. I listened to some sound bytes of the stock exhaust with the Resonators removed and it sounded like crap and exactly how you descrive. Maybe putting them back on might help a bit eh? Just a thought, Peace. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 06-09-2003, 08:31 PM

Here are some links to homemade sound clips of the Borla and Injen exhausts, each fitted to a 350Z. I think you need to sign up for Imagestation to access the first one. I take no responsibility for the speed or functioning of the links, I'm just cutting and pasting from the Z forum.

Borla on a Z

Injen on a Z

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 06-09-2003, 10:43 PM

ReDRoK8:

The B&B is a complete cat-back so the resonator is gone. It is just straight pipe back to the dual tipped muffler. I am looking into adding a resonator in-line to see if it will smooth it out and tone it down. I also heard the stock sound clip with the resonator removed, and I agree it sounds terrible.

Old 06-11-2003, 03:45 PM

Funny, I have a B&B Tri-flow catback attached to my current car (00' firebird formula with the ls1 v8 engine) and for that vehicle it was the most moderate sounding setup...it just added a deep rumble. In fact, the g's stock exaust is louder! Guess the company changed...

'04 6mt on order...