G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Tranny rattling in first gear...an answer yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny rattling in first gear...an answer yet?

I know that this has been discussed befiore and was wondering if someone knows what this is yet. While accelerating in first moderately, you can hear that rattling noise sometimes. It's that same noise you sometimes hear if you shut the engine off without holding in the clutch. "Nature of the beast" seems like a poor excuse to me. I heard it again pulling away from the entrance gate at my office this morning, embarressingly reminded me. While in neutral with the clutch engaged you can sometimes hear the rattle of the input shaft. I'm just surprised you can hear it while it's under torque from accelerating.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:43 PM
I have almost the same exact thing on mine that is 2 weeks old. Although I hear the rattling noise when I am coming to a stop and going from 2nd to neutral only while I am in the process of pushing down the clutch. Its kind of a metallic rattling sound. Also sometimes when I press the clutch down and getting ready to shift to from 1st to second. It seems as though it has something associated with the clutch. It doesn't happen all the time.
To better explain the sound: if you ever stalled the car and you heard the metal rattling before the car shuts off, its the same sound. I dont even know for sure if the car even supposed to make that noise when it stalles.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:55 PM
i only get it in my 05 when the clutch and engine get really hot. This is after maybe an hour or more of driving. When I get home, I let it rest. But if I take off again while the car is still warm, it will sometimes make the same noise. Do you think it will go away after the break-in period?

Old 06-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Hard to say, because I have 3000 very non-abused miles on my G.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:01 PM
^ you might be right. I think I also get that sound after driving for a while, not necessarily an hour. I dont think I get it when the car is cold. I usually dont pay attention, but i dont think this is normal.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:08 PM
How many miles do you have? I have about 1k now. The noise seems to be toning down a bit, but sounds a lot better than before. Please tell me this just a normal break-in sound.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:09 PM
I have 280 miles on mine and had the noise from day one.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3,000 miles on mine. Both noises (clutch while stand still in driveway, and while accelerating in first and even sometimes in second. NEVER REDLINED my car to this day...yea yea...I treat her good. I even got her an oil change at 1200 miles.

Still have the sound and from what I hear this is normal, but I don't buy this crock either cause my 2000 civic ex 5spd doesn't even do this shlt.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Wow.. I decided to do a search, "rattle" and found exactly what I was looking for. My 05 has that same rattle.. slightly accelerating in 1st and in 2nd. Started doing this at about 3200 miles. Seems to die down a bit after driving it. I'm hoping that this is break in, since so many people have had the same issue. I'm calling Infiniti tomorrow to see what they say.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by O'sG
I have 280 miles on mine and had the noise from day one.
Same here, '05. I'm learning to adjust my driving technique to minimize the problem (if it is a problem). Making some progress in the 10 days I have had the car.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:02 AM
I picked up my G this past Friday and I now have about 250 miles and been hearing that rattle since I pulled off the lot. I have a service appointment tomorrow, I will let you guys all know what happens.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine seems to do that only if I don't give it gas, like if I'm just pulling forward by letting out the clutch to the friction point. If I give it gas I dont' hear the sound, either during accelerating or braking

Old 07-08-2005, 12:12 AM
With 4400 miles, second oil change tomorrow, no launches, only redlined a few times, no power shifts. I'd say I'm driving it well within reason, as most of you are too. Everything else about the car feels nice and smooth.

Mine won't do it when it's cold, like pulling out of the garage and out on the streets, just after I've driven an hour to work then drive around the parking ramp I can hear it. So many people say they have an appt but never respond with results. I'm sure they are all told the same thing by the dealer.

It can't be the throw bearing or any other part of the clutch because it will do it even with pressure applied to the pedal while accelerating.

Last edited by csdstudio; 07-08-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:32 PM
So i have the same problem....when the engine is hot it makes a rattling noise accelerating out of first and second gear up to 3,000 rpm's...I figure anything past that and the engine drowns out the noise...in the morning its fine...went to the dealership and they said it was because its a sports car...asked my friend with a g35 6mt and he said he dosen't hear that sound...has anyone fixed the problem?

Old 10-03-2005, 03:47 AM
Wow! this just happened to me yesterday. Does anyone know anything about this? I read a few are going to the dealer, any word on what the rattling is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tranny rattling in first gear...an answer yet?