G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Article on 2nd year models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Article on 2nd year models

Here's a good article for those of us waiting for our 2004 models, and those of you debating whether to buy used or wait.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/aut...lastn=Lazarony

Avoiding bugs in new models and redesigns
By Lucy Lazarony • Bankrate.com

Eager to scoop up a brand-new, never-been-seen-before car model? Or how about the sleek, new redesign of a tried-and-true favorite? You may want to wait.

A new study by J.D. Power and Associates found that a number of cars, trucks and sport utility vehicles redesigned for 2002 have more problems than the 2001 models they replaced.

The new and supposedly improved Nissan Altima, Honda CRV, four-door Ford Explorer, Lexus ES 300 and Toyota Camry all did worse than their predecessors in an initial quality study, which tracks problems in a vehicle's first 90 days of ownership.

"There's some cachet in having the newest and the greatest. But along with that benefit there's the risk of working the kinks out of a car," says John Nielsen, director of AAA's Approved Auto Repair Network.

"The good news is it's in warranty, so you don't have to pay for it."

Glitches after all these years
More problems cropping up in a car's first model year has been an auto industry certainty for decades. And while overall auto quality has improved immensely, first-model-year glitches remain.

Auto models that were redesigned for 2002 declined in initial quality by 2 percent, according to J.D. Power.

Two percent of trouble doesn't seem like a lot until you consider just how much better a vehicle is likely to be in its second model year, when its quality shoots up by 17 percent.

Continued below

Why the big jump in quality? All the little kinks and problems that come to light in the first model year get fixed.

You'll get a higher quality vehicle when you wait for a hot, new design to enter its second model year. Being a patient car shopper can really pay off.

"Look for a model that has relatively few problems in the first year and buy it in the second year," says Clarence Ditlow, auto author and executive director for the Center for Auto Safety.

Ditlow has been urging buyers to steer clear of first-year car models since 1970, when the first lemon book was published.

"There's never adequate testing to get rid of all the bugs," Ditlow says.

This is especially true of brand-new, never-been-seen-before models.

"It just takes a little while longer to get things running smoothly," says Brian Walters, director of product research at J.D. Powers.

"Many times there are brand-new factories, totally new suppliers. They're starting from scratch for the most part."

And even though computer-assisted design has improved new-car quality in recent years, some problems don't come to light until the cars are driven off a dealer lot.

Consumer guinea pigs
"The first people who buy the car end up being guinea pigs," says Rosemary Shahan, president of Consumers for Auto Reliability and Safety.

"Sometimes it's just fit and finish and minor details and it's not that big of a deal. But if it's 'Does it start? Does it stop?' then it's a serious problem."

Just look at the PT Cruiser. DaimlerChrysler is recalling more than 460,000 PT Cruisers -- every one built for the vehicle's first two model years -- because of fuel-pump leaks.

Need an auto loan? Check rates in your area.

Why don't auto manufacturers delay the launch of a new model until every glitch is ironed out? They're driven by money, just like every other business, and hot, new designs tend to be big sellers, bugs and all.

"A brand-new design tends to have more appeal than an older design," Walters says. "Dealers tend to make more profits on vehicles with high appeal. Manufacturers have to spend less money on incentives on vehicles with high appeal."

If you can put up with a few kinks in your dream car, go ahead and snap up a hot new design as soon as it comes out.

If you're looking for the highest quality, most hassle free ride, hold off on your shopping for a year or so.

"If no trouble whatsoever is the most important thing to you, you're much better off in the second or third year," Nielsen says.

"Moderation in all things, including moderation."

Old 06-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Re: Article on 2nd year models

Probably a GREAT reason to wait...of course, I like being the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill...no, that's a movie...lol...you know what I'm saying...

Of course, there's the price issue...in talking with owner or the local Infiniti dealer while getting my oil changed, he said that the "major change in the coupe for next model year is going to be the price." The car is hot, well-designed, well-put together and for what we're paying for it, a tad underpriced. It's a value now--how much can they raise the price and it still remain a value?

Ryan

Drive it like I stole it?
Hell...drive it like I'm making payments on it...

Old 06-12-2003, 05:43 AM

you really think they gonna raise the price??? lol, thats all i got to say.

Old 06-12-2003, 08:22 AM

thought i ordered an 03, but it's an 04. kind of glad. don't think there will be any special value assigned to the fact that 03 was first production year.

Old 06-12-2003, 10:00 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

the price has been rumored to go up, as with nearly ALL cars entering their 2nd year of production.....rumor says its going to be in the 3-5% range which is roughly $1,000-1,500 price increase.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow

Old 06-12-2003, 10:19 AM

My local dealer told me that the car is way under priced and to not be suprised if the car is gonna run for 39k @ MSRP next year...

G35 Mafia Member # 01

Old 06-12-2003, 10:56 AM

i was always told since i was little, "Never buy a car during its first model year or two." i've stuck with this rule until now...hope i won't regret that choice. i like the G so far.

g35doman
'03.5 5AS, BS/G, Leather, Sport, 32%, Klasse

Old 06-12-2003, 12:00 PM

I doubt there are many buyers here that haven't heard of the first model year problems most (if not all) cars experience. Still, the difference that applies to the G specifically is that it isn't really a new model. New to the States yes, but because it's been around for a while in Japan as the Skyline, the same rules don't really apply.

Of course, if the Skyline was redesigned for both Japanese and American markets this year, then my theory goes out the window - and that I'm not sure of.

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 06-12-2003, 02:06 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

conquie you are somewhat correct, the engine has been in production for almost 2 years, and the transmission for almost 2 years (5AT) so they are well established. Its just the little creaks and loose parts that occurr with every new model vehicle (because of new assembly line computer programs and such)
So, only minor problems will occur with the G

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow

Old 06-12-2003, 10:06 PM

I am concerned about the brake life issue and center console scratching and am hoping the '04's get that fixed even if it is in mid model year. I could be that long before I buy anyway. The higher price will be worth it if the issues are resolved. I think these issues will also bring the resale value down when the new ones come out.