G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I made my stock G tube into a Z tube!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Gangster Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya sure let me go just tape up the inside of my car, i rather spend the 5 dollars on a IN&OUT Burger Meal

Old 06-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Omega Enthusiast
Originally Posted by G35UKY
I covered the silencer hole in the stock tube with aluminum tape for duct work, which, basically, converted it to a Z tube, and I used the same tape to cover the vents/holes in the bottom of the air filter box to cancel out the ait silencer in the air box as well.

The exhasut note is noticably louder! Give it try. It'll only cost you ~$5.00 for a roll of aluminum tape. I just hope the tape never comes loose and flies into the air plenum! I thought about using two part epoxy type glue to make sure that the tape never comes loose but was too lazy at the time to do it because I did not know if it would even make a diffence. If you do it, use glue!
If you can afford a G, you can afford a Z-Tube!

Old 06-23-2005, 03:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Z2G
next up.....home clear bra with scotch tape and saran wrap!!!!
Hahaha!.....

Old 06-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by TheGest
ya sure let me go just tape up the inside of my car, i rather spend the 5 dollars on a IN&OUT Burger Meal
I didn't do it because of the $. I did it because it does the same thing as the Z tube and still looks stock. I hate how the Z tube takes away the part that goes with the engine cover.

I think you guys are just pissed because you paid for a Z tube.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:55 AM
I made my own Z Tube 2 years ago and it still is fine. I used these round tire patches I found at the auto store. I used the glue it came with and then also epoxy. I check it every 3000 miles when i clean my filter and it has held up. It gets hot in the tube but not that hot that it will melt the rubber patch. I also got flamed and everyone said that I was cheap and that if you have a G you can buy a tube. I like to build things and work on my car. But some people on this forum do not like DYI. I dont know why? Now for the tape. Its a little ghetto and might fall off. But if you take about an hour you can do it right and you will not have to worry.

Last edited by madabs; 06-23-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:03 AM
what a freakin rig. i wouldnt even wanna post something like that

Old 06-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by madabs
I made my own Z Tube 2 years ago and it still is fine. I used these round tire patches I found at the auto store. I used the glue it came with and then also epoxy. I check it every 3000 miles when i clean my filter and it has held up. It gets hot in the tube but not that hot that it will melt the rubber patch. I also got flamed and everyone said that I was cheap and that if you have a G you can buy a tube. I like to build things and work on my car. But some people on this forum do not like DYI. I dont know why? Now for the tape. Its a little ghetto and might fall off. But if you take about an hour you can do it right and you will not have to worry.
Thanks for the incouragement, Madabs. I love doing things myself also and hate to buy things when it can be very easily done other ways and still be reliable. I was just trying to offer information about an easy mod that is stealthy, which I like, works the same as the Z tube, and just happens to be cheap. I will never post any DYI mods that I do again including the mirror reverse tilt down and fold in that many want to hear about.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:38 AM
I will never post any DYI mods that I do again including the mirror reverse tilt down and fold in that many want to hear about.
Don't let morons get in the way sharing an enthusiast's shade tree mods. Some people somewhere actually do like to work on their cars themselves and tinker to make them better while getting your hands a little dirty. Tape may not be the best idea but there is some merit to constructing one's own mod's and testing them out for effect rather than just throwing on what everyone else does and blindly hoping you get it right.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:44 AM
I actually thought the idea was pretty creative. I too like the fact that your mod retains the "stock-look" by keeping the G intake with the part that integrates with the engine cover.

Don't feel bad. Anybody that has been creative or invented something throughout history has had detractors. Overtime, when their ideas have proven themselves the inventor is thought of as being brilliant and not an idiot. In the case of your mod, it is pretty brilliant.....it might need some refinement but it is still brilliant. Keep on coming with the ideas......I think they are pretty good (eventough, in this case, I bought a z-tube quite a few months ago and cannot benefit from your idea, someone else might).

Also, remember that in the end, it is YOUR car.......you can do whatever you want to it that makes YOU happy. You did the mod and it is a fulfilling accomplishment for YOU.....if others do not want to benefit, that's cool too. The Forum is here to share ideas. Others might share their ideas about your ideas (these might be good or bad comments) but it is still sharing of information. Look at it this way.....your post is about a mod and not about a fake story of running from the cops.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:45 AM
I will never post any DYI mods that I do again including the mirror reverse tilt down and fold in that many want to hear about.
Way to go people, why does everyone have to flame people when they try something new. Now we are going to miss out on the DIY for the mirrors. Good job!!

Old 06-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Z2G
with any post, you may get comments/criticism. and in this case, most ppl stated that it may not be a good idea since the tape may loosen up. i don't see why anyone would get angry over this. for example, there is also a oakley thread where the poster wanted to repair his 2 year old oakleys. most ppl said to just buy a new one. the poster agreed...no big deal.

it's unfortunate if the original poster took it the wrong way and will not post the reverse mirror info. however, i don't think the members were out of line.

p.s. it's all good dude. please don't hold out on us

Old 06-23-2005, 03:20 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the incouragement, Madabs. I love doing things myself also and hate to buy things when it can be very easily done other ways and still be reliable. I was just trying to offer information about an easy mod that is stealthy, which I like, works the same as the Z tube, and just happens to be cheap. I will never post any DYI mods that I do again including the mirror reverse tilt down and fold in that many want to hear about.
Don't be put of by a few neg posts bro. You've got admirers here you don't even know about, and yes you can bet some of them wish they'd saved the $$$ for the Z-tube.
As many said tho, keep an eye on the tape. I may loosen with heat.

Congrats on your ingenuity and I'm sure many here would enjoy any other ideas you have.

Keep 'em coming.

C.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
Don't be put of by a few neg posts bro. You've got admirers here you don't even know about, and yes you can bet some of them wish they'd saved the $$$ for the Z-tube.
As many said tho, keep an eye on the tape. I may loosen with heat.

Congrats on your ingenuity and I'm sure many here would enjoy any other ideas you have.

Keep 'em coming.

C.
Thanks, Gsedanman! I am a design engineer by trade so the tape is just a prototype to try out the idea without screwing up the stock one in case it does not work. I know all about heat transfer, turbulant airflow, wind shear, etc. I was just trying to tell people that it is possible to save some money and keep a stealth look while acheiving the same effects. I guess I should have worded it better from the beginning.