G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Aggressive Manumatic Shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tracked my G for the first time this weekend at VIR. After my first two track sessions, I switched from Auto to MM. I very rarely use it on the streets so it took a few laps to get used to it, but once I did, it was AMAZING how much faster my lap times were.

I can answer a few questions I've seen in this thread...

It will not let you downshift if the lower gear would be above redline.

If you DO hit redline and fail to upshift, the governor will kick in and feel exactly like the VDC interfering (also note that, since shifts are about a half second delayed, you have to shift about 500-800rpm before redline or you'll meet the governor - annoying and confusing at first, esp at 90mph! )

I have to say, after driving the **** out of this car for 2 days straight, I'm extremely impressed with the transmission, engine and brakes. This thing can take a beating and beg for more! Even my Porsche owning instructor was very impressed.

--Viral

Old 10-19-2005, 05:05 PM
sorry if this is a dumb question, but along the same topics....
is it ok to shift without releasing the gas pedal? in other words, staying on the gas while shifting? i think this is called power shifting in manual and i know could be bad, but didnt know about on the MM.
thanks in advance

Old 10-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by aszatk01
sorry if this is a dumb question, but along the same topics....
is it ok to shift without releasing the gas pedal? in other words, staying on the gas while shifting? i think this is called power shifting in manual and i know could be bad, but didnt know about on the MM.
thanks in advance
I may or may not be right about this but...

I think it's ok to shift without releasing the throttle. Something about the torque converter and no direct mechanical link (other than fluid sloshing around) that allows automatic cars to upshift (obviously when the torque converter isn't locked). The ECU actually controls the throttle so if it needs to it'll let the revs drop (or blip on downshifts).

Something to that effect.

Short answer: Yes, I think it's ok.

If you ask what I do... I usually release the throttle, but that's because I learned how to drive on a manual car so it's my first instinct.

Last edited by MrCrazy; 10-19-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:05 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EZZ
I was driving pretty aggressively yesterday and I got the car around 5.5k rpm in 2nd and decided to upshift. I heard this loud thunk and the car shifted very harshly and the rear got a little squirrely. Has anyone noticed that if you have the pedal floored and short shift, the tranny shifts very harshly compared to just flooring it in auto mode?
Yes I've noticed that on both my G's and on the M.
I assume it's normal since the shift is manually initiated outside the optimum range, and my 3 Infiniti's have all done this.

C.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:35 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Yes I've noticed that on both my G's and on the M.
I assume it's normal since the shift is manually initiated outside the optimum range, and my 3 Infiniti's have all done this.

C.
I hear its just called torque slap by the techs and completely normal. I shift at 3-4k from 2-3 and it doesn't do it anymore. If I want to shift at 2-3k, I press the throttle lighter and shift the 2-3 at less than 3k.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is the correct technique when using MM mode?...like when to correctly shift to do it smoothly, etc...?...in MM mode should we shift at redline or earlier?

I hardly use MM mode thats why Im askin...Thanks

Old 10-20-2005, 10:41 AM
D87
Weird, I thought it was perfectly ok in MM mode to keep your foot on the gas pedal and shift without any issues. I mean, think about it: if you are driving a manual, you are mechanically shifting the gear with the stick. In an automatic in MM mode, there is nothing mechanical shifting your gear with you tap it "up" or "down". It is merely sending an electronic signal for the computer to shift the gear for you. Same idea with "paddle shifters" on cars that have them (like the IS300). I mean, you wouldn't think you'd have to let go of the gas before you "flip" the paddles right? Am I totally nuts here or does any of this make sense since this is only my theory on the subject?

On a related topic, I had a car with Overdrive before, and have always engaged it while driving in the city so the auto tranny won't go past 3rd gear to save wear and tear from going all the way from 1st to 4th (highest gear) constantly. Do you guys think I should drive in MM mode in the G and not go past 3rd to save the w&t on the tranny while driving in the city?

Ok, my fingers are tired now...

Old 10-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
hey 6 years 70000 miles you are covered under warranty with the tranny. the thunk can be from the rear differential on hard shifts just like the stock evo's and wrx's have that problem.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:46 AM
If you want to shift properly, get a 6/mt.

Old 10-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Just please don't buy a tranny cooler. The threat of your tranny grenading due to heat is much less to that of a bad install or a hose popping off the cooler. Guess what...that coolant that WAS going through the cooler and into the tranny is now never making it to the tranny...it is dumping on the ground and then your tranny goes BOOM for lack of coolant.

Tranny failures due to heat are slim to nill. Save your money and buy some JDM corners or something.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Alumni****
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
If you want to shift properly, get a 6/mt.
+1

that's why i'm trading-in for 6MT soon

Old 10-21-2005, 02:10 PM
well i just shift at past 3 (4 at the most usually)
just to hear my exhaust (or others lol)
seems like tho...i am like the only one who revs that much around my area...my friends can actually hear my car from a distance cuz they can hear it lol

COW EXHAUST! LOL (moo~~~)

Old 10-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I knew the MT guys would pop in lol..

I almost ALWAYS get a clunk from 3 to 2, I've stop shifting it, I normally let it downshift for me...

I love being able to go from 5 to 3 real quick tho, thats my favorite, I give it two quick blips and feel the torque

MM wont shift if you head redline, I'll downshift from 3rd to 2nd at high 40's low 50's and it will let me just fine.

I LOVE manumatic-- Im just starting to use auto for regular driving-- i gotta start driving more conservatively

And the shifting is definitely smoother.

Old 10-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by liu69
+1

that's why i'm trading-in for 6MT soon
I'm guessing this tread is full of mostly 5AT owners of course. So who else would NOW rather have a 6MT over the 5AT?

Old 10-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by EZZ
Yeah but it'll probably put more wear and tear on the tranny due to higher strain on the tranny. Full auto mode is definitely more smooth than the manual mode because the computer can fully compensate and anticipate for shifts. In manual mode, if the computer is thinking rev and you suddenly upshift/downshift, it'll "bang" it into gear and that certainly isn't good for the tranny. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that confuses my tranny in manual mode.
Thats certainly not true from what i've seen. In MM mode there is a short delay between first and second gear, however quicker than the rest. So it has plenty of time for it to "fully compensate and anticipate for shifts". Correct me if im wrong though.