G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Z-Tube makes no difference.. Do I need the K&N Air Filter too?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z-Tube makes no difference.. Do I need the K&N Air Filter too?

I put in my Z-Tube about a week ago, and quite honestly I can not notice any difference in either performance or sound, at all. Im listening for any difference in any RPM range and it sounds exactly the same. But I did notice a lot of people were dropping K&N Air Filters in as well who were saying what a difference in sound they heard, so maybe that is what makes the difference, or atleast what would help?

Personally, I feel this was a huge waste of $70 as it is now..

Thanks

Old 06-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Yes, I dont think you should ever get a Z-tube without a JWT POP charger, or in your case the K&N filter. I used the JWT and it sounds amazing in the upper ranges, and i can feel a slight difference.

Hockeyplay95

Old 06-27-2005, 03:23 PM
keep in mind that the z-tube alone is only gonna give you a max of 3-4 hp gain.

you are NOT going to 'feel' any difference. As far as the sound difference, some say there is some and some say there isnt. I guess it depends on how in tune you are with your car.

the K+N would be a good idea and add another couple horses... that you still won't feel

in all honesty, unless you're gonna drop the money for FI, you aren't going to feel the difference with these small mods.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:23 PM
I've got the k&n drop in filter and the Z tube, very minor difference noted, although it could be the fact that I wanted to hear something as opposed to the fact that I actually heard something.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:30 PM
POP charger!

Hockeyplay95

Old 06-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Yeah, its just that I've searched these forums a bit, and people were raving about how the Z-tube produced such a better, throaty, deep exhaust sound above the 3-4k RPM range. Honestly, there might be a slight, slight difference but its nothing even worth the money.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
There is definitely an audible difference with the Z-Tube and K&N combo.

I put my K&N filter in my car about 2 or 3 weeks before my Z-Tube, and noticed very little difference from that mod alone. Once I added my Z-Tube to the configuration, there was a noticeable sound difference in the exhaust and intake note above 3k RPM's, particularly under heavy throttle.

The biggest performance gain that I got from my Z-Tube and K&N combo was in fuel economy. My car has gained an average of about 1.5-2.2 MPG in combined driving styles(city/highway). These are not imaginary gains.

I have thoroughly monitored my fuel economy over the life of my car with the Nav system prior to the mods... and then also monitored it in the past month that I've had the Z-Tube and K&N combo installed.

Currently, the lowest milleage interval that I've gotten on my car since the Z-Tube/K&N install is 24.7 MPG combined(This is the lowest, not the average).

My highest ever economy measurement prior to the install, was 23.7.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:06 PM
What year is your G and is it a 05 6MT- If so I wonder if the 05 6MT doesn't benefit as much from it.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:54 PM
i put a k&n in immediately after i purchased the car. i bought mine used, so i didn't have to deal with a break-in and have always driven it like i stole it, i.e. was very familiar with the engine sound at high RPM. after putting in the z-tube, there was a noticeable difference in engine sound - much more of a "roar" if you will above 4k RPMs.

so basically, if you didnt rev the engine hard before putting in the z-tube, you probably dont have much to compare with.

Last edited by jayco; 06-27-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Z-tube is over rated, get a stillen airbox, its louder than a popcharger. Iv used both on my 05.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Z tube doesn't sound the same with the 05's.

Old 06-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by BlackonBlackG35
Z-tube is over rated, get a stillen airbox, its louder than a popcharger. Iv used both on my 05.
what's your mpg with the airbox?

Old 06-27-2005, 05:13 PM
D87
Originally Posted by partyman66

The biggest performance gain that I got from my Z-Tube and K&N combo was in fuel economy. My car has gained an average of about 1.5-2.2 MPG in combined driving styles(city/highway). These are not imaginary gains.

I have thoroughly monitored my fuel economy over the life of my car with the Nav system prior to the mods... and then also monitored it in the past month that I've had the Z-Tube and K&N combo installed.

Currently, the lowest milleage interval that I've gotten on my car since the Z-Tube/K&N install is 24.7 MPG combined(This is the lowest, not the average).

Has anyone gain MPG with just the K&N drop-in air filter?

Old 06-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
There is definitely an audible difference with the Z-Tube and K&N combo.

I put my K&N filter in my car about 2 or 3 weeks before my Z-Tube, and noticed very little difference from that mod alone. Once I added my Z-Tube to the configuration, there was a noticeable sound difference in the exhaust and intake note above 3k RPM's, particularly under heavy throttle.

i must have a heavy foot. i average around 20mpg (mixed city/hwy) with the k&n filter. now i'm contemplating whether or not the ztube is worth it for the sole purpose of improving my mpg average..

Old 06-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by D87
Has anyone gain MPG with just the K&N drop-in air filter?
i gained about 1 mpg with mixed city/hwy driving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Z-Tube makes no difference.. Do I need the K&N Air Filter too?