G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Got My Azz Handed To Me By A Supra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bwahaha...i kinda got my *** handed to me by a 05-v8 mustang gt the other day. not completely tho, he just had the exit lane of the fwy that i needed to get into and we both hit it at the same time. at 120 and traffic in front going 60, i had to shut it down. i was thinking, "have fun, but be safe"

when we both hit it, there was not a single car next to either of us. i dunno how, prolly just in a better gear, but i pulled on him for a sec. not even close enough tho to take the lane without some serious jepordy to both cars.

what was the point of my post? oh ya, i remember now! i dont worry about having the fastest car around anymore. i want to have a fun as car to drive and be nice about doing it. so what if a supra beats me? those things are monstors with the 2JZ-GTE engine. it would be like feeling bad for being beaten by a RB26-DETT.

in short, these cars with these engines are monsters (2JZ-GTE & RB26-DETT) get a 911 turbo or better or dont even bother!

BTW (post script) - i tried to give the mustang driver the thumbs up, but he wouldnt even look over after we got off the fwy and hit a red light (4 cars deep into it, so there is no way we could take off again). had to finally honk at him and he rolled his window down. i gave him the thumbs up and said, "nice car!" he seemed shocked. after that, he was like, "nice car to you too. that was fun."

Last edited by weaksauce; 07-07-2005 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:33 PM
you are just a bad driver, the supra is such a slow car

Old 07-07-2005, 08:44 PM
lmao

Old 07-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by heeb
Damn, thanks for the heads up! I never would have thought the TT Supra could have taken our G's
the first recorded 0-60 supra TT was 4.6....thats...and unmodded one.....with 12 years of aftermarket parts ....any Supra that is still alive now probably has no less than 500 hp.....many have well over 600 hp...you have much better luck against a unwary 911 or ferrari 348

Old 07-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by mc2
I will have to agree with Hyun that the G35 is not THAT fast, or at least does not feel it. Or maybe a better way to put it, is not as fast as it should be.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but what i have been able to gather, a bone stock 6MT G Coupe will run about 14.5 second 1/4 mile times right? give or take depending on the driver of course. So this is a 298 HP V6.

My 1991 MR2 Turbo, bone stock can run about 14.5 from the factory too. This is a 200 HP, 4-banger. With a 15 dollar home made boost controller, boost can be safely turned up to 14 PSI from anywhere between 7-11 from the factory. This easily puts you into low 14's and even high 13 territory.

I mean when I say the G35 is not that fast, yes granted it is faster than 80% of any other car on the road, but why would you compare it to those? You would compare to other sports cars. That hardly puts it into the 80th percentile.

You've answered your own question..."from what I have been able to gather". Take your coupe to the dragstrip and see what it can do on your own and stop listening to what other people gather. I did and I saw with my own eyes a 5AT Coupe with Y-pipe and Z-tube run 14.0 at 100 mph. I don't care what other people say how the car feels, with a plenum he could've hit high 13s. The 6mt is capable of much more (traction provided). If I never taken my coupe to the track, then I supposed I would have take car mags as gospel.
Even though quite a few of them have gotten the 6mt down to 14.1 seconds.

I compared the G35C to 80% of the cars on the road because it's not a sports car. It's a luxury coupe or GT. So based on your thinking, the G35 is blazing fast because it smokes anything in its competitive group (CL, 330Ci, Clk320). The fact that it's still faster than 80% of all cars on the road and you get heated leather seats, sunroof, great handling, etc is pretty good. Your MR2 was a full blown roadster, which shouldn't be compared to a GT. Its supposed to be fast it only has two seats and no luxury items much like the S2000. The S2000 gives up so much (heated seats, power seats, dual climate control, etc) to just be a little quicker (maybe) than the G35. To me, that says quite a bit about the G35.

Last edited by Deang35c6; 07-07-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:45 PM
could not have spoken truer words myself....well said

Old 07-07-2005, 09:53 PM
I got my coupe because it's decently fast and most of all, sexy. If you want a fast car in 30k's buy a spaceship from 1920's called Camaro SS. S2000 is nice and fast car but not the best looking coupe in the market. And besides, it's only a HONDA and don't wanna be in a crash with that thing becuase you won't make it.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure why there is a comparision between the Supra or G35 either. Both are different cars with different uses. Yes the g35 is quick compared to perhaps some of the other sports coupes out there but I'm not going to say it's quick compared to true sports cars out there...after all, it is a luxury sports coupe isnt it? On a Supra, I can't say it was very luxurious but performance was certainly the name of the game. I decided to get the g35 purely because it's better for me at this point in my life. Both are great cars. IMO a g35 is probably just more pimp...the supra is just plain FAST...both look great.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:11 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deang35c6
You've answered your own question..."from what I have been able to gather". Take your coupe to the dragstrip and see what it can do on your own and stop listening to what other people gather. I did and I saw with my own eyes a 5AT Coupe with Y-pipe and Z-tube run 14.0 at 100 mph. I don't care what other people say how the car feels, with a plenum he could've hit high 13s. The 6mt is capable of much more (traction provided). If I never taken my coupe to the track, then I supposed I would have take car mags as gospel.
Even though quite a few of them have gotten the 6mt down to 14.1 seconds.

I compared the G35C to 80% of the cars on the road because it's not a sports car. It's a luxury coupe or GT. So based on your thinking, the G35 is blazing fast because it smokes anything in its competitive group (CL, 330Ci, Clk320). The fact that it's still faster than 80% of all cars on the road and you get heated leather seats, sunroof, great handling, etc is pretty good. Your MR2 was a full blown roadster, which shouldn't be compared to a GT. Its supposed to be fast it only has two seats and no luxury items much like the S2000. The S2000 gives up so much (heated seats, power seats, dual climate control, etc) to just be a little quicker (maybe) than the G35. To me, that says quite a bit about the G35.
Sure the G35 is a sports car. It's a luxury sports coupe. That's fine you've seen a G35C 5AT do a 14.00 flat. Someone on the boards with a bone stock 6MT got a 13.98. That's great. I'm not going to take my car to the track, i don't race it. My G is a cruiser. I can gather all i want from what other people say, if 100 people run their G at the track and half of them fall within 14.3-14.7 whats wrong with gathering that a stock G is going to run about 14.5. Of course every car is different, but it's a perfectly safe assumption IMO.

That's fine that the s2000 gives up too much to be a little quicker. I wasn't talking about that. I was ONLY talking about whether or not the G was really fast. I'm not trying to do an overall comparsion, i've already done that when i purchased my G, and yes, overall it's great. It can run a 14.5 second with heated seats and a NAV and automatic climate control for under 40K. Thats why i chose it, but that's not what the discussion was.

I'm just stating fact. The G is faster than many many cars, like civics, cavaliers, neons, but really, it's not THAT fast. I'm not knocking on the car, i LOVE my G, it's my baby. The fact is, a mid 14 second car is not considered fast by today's standards. No, the G35 is not blazing fast. You are comparing it to other cars like Civis, and neons, and cavaliers, and soccer mom mini-vans. That is completely unreasonable.

That's all i'm trying to say. You seem to be very defensive and think that i'm talking crap about the G or that i'm trying to compare the pros and cons of the G vs other cars, but i'm not, so no need to get so defensive about it.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm not getting defensive at all, MC2. Alot of folks bought their G without knowing what they were buying. They expected blazing fast performance, luxury features, and a luxury nameplate and service all for the price of low price of $40k. You won't get all of those features unless you're talking M\\\ or AMG. So then they start bitchn' about how slow the car is when they should've bought a Mustang Cobra in the first place. Reread my post and you'll see that I compared the G against it true competition (330ci, Cl-s, TL, A4, Saab 9-3, CLK320, CTS, etc) and it still comes out on top in performance. Not only does it smokes the real competition, the competition group is already faster than the average car. So for the E36 I smoked yesterday, he might consider my car fast even though a E36 M3 is no slouch. Fast is subjective, but what you get for your money, the G offers pretty good numbers. Sure a modified SR-t Neon will smoke me, but I wouldn't trade my G in for it. The Neon is faster, but look what you don't get for the money. I always get asked if my car is fast. My reply is, "depends on what you consider fast."

I do have to disagree with you on the G being a sports car. By definition, a sports cars has two seats and offers no apologies for its lack of luxury features. Corvette, 350Z, 911, Viper, and the NSX are all true sports cars. The S2000, MR2, boxster, and the Z4 are roadsters (two door, convertible sports cars). So, when comparing the G against true sports cars or even a roadster, it may come up short. The G is a GT...a cross between a sports car and luxury car. Maybe that's why so many people are disappointed with its performance. However, when compared to its true competition it does very well. But that's what it was intended to do.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:53 PM
can we just agree on this? no matter how fast you are, someone is faster. doesnt matter what car you have, what mods, someone, somewhere is going to burn you. the whole thread started as "i got burned by a [instert car here]" i dont care how fast you think you are, that kinda thing just happens...

Old 07-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Peek Freens are a very serious cookie

Old 07-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by weaksauce
can we just agree on this? no matter how fast you are, someone is faster. doesnt matter what car you have, what mods, someone, somewhere is going to burn you. the whole thread started as "i got burned by a [instert car here]" i dont care how fast you think you are, that kinda thing just happens...

This, I can do...

Old 07-08-2005, 01:07 AM
Well I know on paper the car is a pig, but at least for me once I was out on my test drive in one, I felt comfortable and it did feel nimble.

I have a wrx with a sti tranny and suspension setup..making over 330 at the wheels...

YES that is fast, but it costs lots of money to go that fast. I built a rich mans toy, and it breaks my heart to sell it. But I want a car that can do everything, be a great crusier, be fun to drive, just look damn sexy, be fun to drive some more, pretty quick and have all the luxuries my current car lacks....

and in my price bracket after my fathers employee discount at the dealer it is the only car I think fits all the things that I listed...And I think that most people bought the G for the same reason. I consider the car to be a sports car...No its not a light as a Z but I can only pay for one car, and it wasn't going to be a z.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coming from a Honda, the G is fast for me, but then again, compared to my CBR the G is slow as hell, heck it makes a Supra seem slow. It's all relative. No need for all us to get our panties in a bunch, whether we think it's fast or slow, I bought it cause it is what it is, a bad muthaf*cka

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got My Azz Handed To Me By A Supra