G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Tough Decision!?! Need some opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tough Decision!?! Need some opinions

I've been looking at a M3 and I know there are tons of post comparing/discussion on Gs vs Beamers..

But i was proposed an offer this m3 is a 2002 35k 6sp

the G is 2004 16k

I checked the VIN on the M and everything looks good.

The Dealership offers me 28k for my car and 38k for the m3 as a trade-in.

Should i take the offer and save on taxes? would i be better off selling my car privately?

I love the power on the M3 and the handling but i dont know too much about beamers as far as reliability etc... The guy told me they have 100k warranty on the motor.

Let me know what you guys think.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Your post confused me.. Sorry..

Old 07-09-2005, 09:58 PM
The Beamer wont be as reliable as the Infiniti, thats for sure.

But I'd obviously pick an M3 over the G35 any day. I would have had one if I could have found a low mileaged SMG model near me, but I decided against continuing on with that search when I fell in love with the looks of the G.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:47 PM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First I would take the Bimmer to a good body shop and have it inspected. Having a clean title (check by VIN) means jack... The owner might have gotten into an accident and never reported the incident to the insurance company nor to the police. A good body shop should be able to tell you if there are any structural damages.

Other than that, I would also ask for new pads, tires, and other wear and tear parts to be replaced.

Over all, I must say that that M3 would be very hard choice to pass on.

Good luck with whatever you choose, you can't go wrong with either.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:50 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
I've been through the same dilemma more times than I can remember and I'll tell you why I chose the G each time, but let's back up. Is it being sold by a BMW dealership? There is something called BMW CPO warranty 6 years/100k miles bumper to bumper, which is practically better than buying a new car. If you're only getting the 100k warranty on the engine, this is related only to the rod bearing recall on pre-2003.5 M3's. Before you even look at the car, make sure it's been performed. AFAIK, BMW does not report that kind of information to carfax (I've looked at some pre-03.5 M3 carfax reports), so you have to check with BMW on that.

The factory warranty plus free maintenance are only good for 4 years/50k miles. After that maintenance becomes a nightmare. A buddy of mine told me BMW charges over $90 for an oil change, and don't you dare not change your oil for 15k miles. The M3 is one of those sophisticated performance vehicles that need more attention compared to the average Accord or Camry we're used to, even the G. You don't know who or how they drove the car before you or what problems it had.

Another thing: this car came out in early 2001. The G is an almost 2 years newer design. And the new M3 is right around the corner, so the e46 will be past soon and in just a year you will be stuck with a car without warranty (unless it carries the CPO one), already an old model and it will depreciate a ton once the new M3 comes out. So it's not all about what you'll be losing now.

Yet another thing: insurance. The M isn't exactly cheap to insure. For me personally it would cost substantially more to insure than my G, but that depends on your area and personal details.. still something to consider.

One last thing: you think modding a G is expensive, check out the prices for M3 mods. That doesn't matter really if you *intend* to keep it stock (because we all did when we bought our Gs), but for example the S/C kit for the M is over $9k. Compare that to the price of a Vortech and you get the idea.

Just my opinion though. That being said, yes I love the power of that car and I drool everytime I see one. I hang out with M3's all the time and to tell you the truth they all like the G a lot too

Old 07-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback so.. Ya i've always wanted a m3 but they are pricey on all angles. I got the G with on VPP so i couldnt pass it up. I haven't modded the G just rims. Everything else is stock which i plan to keep it that way. I guess in the end we'll never be satisfied. Always something new. More power more options..

But in the end of the conversation I told him to call me if he drops it to 36k he said that is too much of a lost. I said thats i'd do it for that. So we'll see if he calls.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:32 AM
tho i love my g very very much, m3 is m3. way better car, man. the ownership of the m3 is gonna cost you a LOT, ( i know what car eats up motor oils like crazy, and you know you can only put their special oil and nothing else! ) esp. after warranty and if you start getting little problems here and there...

Old 07-11-2005, 10:45 AM
I always say that anyone can afford a BMW...but the maintenance will kill you!!

Old 07-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if its an smg......paddle shifters=yummm. if not stay with ur g. o yeah and only sell privately if ur g isnt ur daily driver because the time it will take you to sell it, you will be adding more miles o the car and depreciating the value further.