G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

rain handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please don't turn off your VDC in the rain.

Silver: You have Pilot A/S? What size tires did you run? Im just curious because I am looking at A/S tires, and they dont make those in spec (225/45 & 245/45)

Old 07-12-2005, 03:13 PM
lol you guys are funny. Growing up in the east coast and only driving rwd cars, this car handles nicely in the rain. BTW Bridgestone Potenzas are awesome tires. They last forever, even if you beat them up and they handle extremely well even whent he tread is very worn down. I had a 95 Mustang GT with the bridgestones, when i bought it they already had 15k miles on them. I drove the hell out of those tires for another 35k with them handling great, had em for about a year and a half. Then I put some Dunlop SS on my car, worn out in 7 months. Worst tires ever. The Bridgestones handled 10x better. As for the rain, just dont be slamming the gas around corners unless you want to break the rear end loose. Especially if you have limited slip, with limited slip the rear end will break out on you even faster. Oh and if your scared to take this car in the rain, go take lessons on how to drive in the rain (all of California) this car is awesome.

I would even take it out in the snow, if I still lived in the east coast. I used to drive my mustang in the snow all the time. What fun that was ...I remember taking it back to worcester and going up all the route 9 hills sideways in a blizzard.

Last edited by cscirpoli; 07-12-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My Nike does real good in the rain

Old 07-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtrain
No, I won't explain it smart-***, But if you keep it off, you'll notice taking the puddles will be a lot easier
Look champ, if you are going to tell somebody to turn off a saftey feature on their car ("OR ELSE THEY WILL DIE!!"), don't you at least think you should know what you are talking about? and maybe you should consider the ramifications (read: accident)??

And no thanks, I am not going to "try it". I'd rather not wreck my car

Old 07-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Okay Slugger, Do a search on the topic VDC on or off, and read up on that, they all said to turn it off when racing or in rain, so thats what im going on.

Kkthxbye

Old 07-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by madchef
Look champ, if you are going to tell somebody to turn off a saftey feature on their car ("OR ELSE THEY WILL DIE!!"), don't you at least think you should know what you are talking about? and maybe you should consider the ramifications (read: accident)??

And no thanks, I am not going to "try it". I'd rather not wreck my car
c'mon guys the car only has 298 bhp... and 260 ft/lbs tourque it's not like your running a super car here. Turning of the VDC in the rain will make you slide around a bit when you get on it. Just turn the wheel into the slide, let off the gas. it's called fun ...The only reason I could see why turning off VDC would help, is because it limits power to the drivetrain when you start to slip. So if your rear tires start to slip they will slow down and throw less water out through the tread. Therefore causing your tire to loose contact with the ground. But you shouldn't be puddle jumping with this car anway. If you start to hydroplane, don't turn the wheel, don't hit the gas, just ride it through. If you start to turn sideways, turn the wheel into the spin, and tap the gas, TAP the gas, don't plug the peddle to the floor, that will be asking for trouble. but i've never has a hydroplane spin me when i just did nothing and rode it out. usually one or 2 tires stays glued to the pavement so you should be fine.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Okay Slugger, Do a search on the topic VDC on or off, and read up on that, they all said to turn it off when racing or in rain, so thats what im going on.

Kkthxbye
Why should I run a search on something just because you don't understand it, and you heard somebody say something so thats what you are going off?

I'm just trying to make sure you don't get other people into accidents....but I should have realized that no one would have taken your advice anyways.

Sorry for wasting bandwith guys.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by heeb
Please don't turn off your VDC in the rain.

Silver: You have Pilot A/S? What size tires did you run? Im just curious because I am looking at A/S tires, and they dont make those in spec (225/45 & 245/45)
I am running on good ole OEM 17"......235/50/17

Old 07-12-2005, 03:56 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madchef
Why should I run a search on something just because you don't understand it, and you heard somebody say something so thats what you are going off?

I'm just trying to make sure you don't get other people into accidents....but I should have realized that no one would have taken your advice anyways.

Sorry for wasting bandwith guys.
Jtrain is a champ.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:59 PM
If you turn off your VCD in the rain your fine, but MAKE SURE YOU DO, or you may die.
umm, or not. I spun my 6mt coupe across some guy's lawn (i've already repaired it) in the rain with VDC off....I was being a dick and trying to spin through 4th. I did, but when i let off.....INSTANT LIFT OFF OVERSTEER. Moral of the story? Don't be a moron. Keep VDC on. Oh, i was on Pilot Sports too.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:29 PM
If y ou are driving on High Performance tires you will have trouble with rain and snow. They are designed for dry roads. Get some of the top rated All Seasons - Bridgestone RE950, Turanza, any of the top 5 listed in the Tire Rack survey and you should be okay. I'm on Bridgestone RE92, model before the RE950, with about 40K miles on them, live in the Seattle area and only have problems when the roads have standing water on them. Normal rain, all winter long, they are great.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:51 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
with the G's natural handling and my S03's, it might as well be dry outside cuz when it rains I never have probs.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by clinty
The VDC was not confirmed to be on or off but... A couple of kids in Vancouver spun a coupe, landed in a narrow ditch backwards, doors would open, the car somehow was on fire and they were burnt to death in front of onlookers that couldn't do anything.
Well, since we don't know the facts in this scenario. I'll pose the question: which do you think is a more likely scenario?
a - They were driving along normally, began to slip, VDC comes on and forces them into a spin.
or
b - They turned VDC off, were having "a little fun" (spinning the wheels, sliding on purpose, whatever), started to spin and couldn't regain control

The VDC lets you take the car to a limit beyond what most drivers can recover from.
So does turning VDC off lower the limit, or does it removes it all together?? rhetorical question

Consider a scenario where you are powering through in the rain and one side of the car, say the right side, hits a long puddle of water and hydroplanes. The right side has little to no traction and your rear wheel starts to spin (just a little more than the left even if you have LSD). Now your VDC reacts and cuts the power (and depending on the circumstances the brakes might be applied by the VDC too). Your left wheels, which are in full contact and traction with the pavement, are now engine braking because of the VDC. Remember that the right wheels has no traction. This in itself may not result in a spin depend on the road (straight, left or right curve) But its motion might cause some knee-jerk reaction in the driver to try and maintain control and lose control.
So you are saying that you "totally agree" with turning VDC off because of a narrow scope scenario that "may not result in a spin" and "might cause some knee-jerk reaction" that (I'm inferring) might cause a spin???

Last edited by madchef; 07-12-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:39 PM
I've run the car in heavy rain at the track with both VDC on and off. I've had VDC save my *** from an impending 90mph spin and it was definitely invaluable there. My vote is to leave VDC on in the rain. At track speeds, VDC's slight delay actually allows you to attempt corrective action so it really is a safety net for worse case scenarios. Also, it's one thing to be on the track where you're focused on driving the car and able to react quickly to anything that comes up but the reality of driving on the street is that you have a dozen different things on your mind.

Last edited by Balzz; 07-12-2005 at 05:42 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rain handling