G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

rain handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We had a few good storms here recently so I got a chance to hit some semi flooded roads in the G. I can say that the car did better than my Maxima, didn't pull into the water (curb) stayed very nicely planted on the road, and at no time did I feel uncomfortable. I actually like the VDC (never had it before) coming from some old American muscle cars that control terribly in bad weather. I did get on the throttle a bit coming off a turn just to see how it would react (it was safe) and the back did start to slide out a bit. A little ease off the gas (very little) brought it right back in line and off I was, probably didn't need to ease off, just habit.

In my other RWD cars I would have been walking it sideways down the road (which is fun, don't get me wrong - when I want). Not to keep the back and forth going here, but I can't see why you would want to turn off VDC (under normal driving, ie: not playing/racing), isn't it designed to keep you on the road as safe as possible within limits of course?

Old 07-12-2005, 05:53 PM
I leave my VDC on in the rain.

Toyo Proxies T1-s are awesome.

This is a torquey RWD drive car. Just take it easy on the gas.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clinty
Consider a scenario where you are powering through in the rain and one side of the car, say the right side, hits a long puddle of water and hydroplanes. The right side has little to no traction and your rear wheel starts to spin (just a little more than the left even if you have LSD). Now your VDC reacts and cuts the power (and depending on the circumstances the brakes might be applied by the VDC too). Your left wheels, which are in full contact and traction with the pavement, are now engine braking because of the VDC. Remember that the right wheels has no traction. This in itself may not result in a spin depend on the road (straight, left or right curve) But its motion might cause some knee-jerk reaction in the driver to try and maintain control and lose control.
That's not how VDC/Traction Control works. In a typical differential, the power always goes to the wheel that spins faster. If you drive with one wheel on ice, and the other on dry pavement, the tire that is on the ice, will just spin.

If you have traction control, the ECU will apply the brakes onto the tire that is spinning faster. The reason it does this, is that it is trying to slow the tire down, such that the other tire will spin faster, and get the power from the differential.

I saw a very good demo on this, (Electronic Stability Control), at the Deutche Museum when I was in Munich. It explained how in this particular scenario, it would be impossible for the car to ascend the hill without traction control. And that's what happened in the demo. With TracOff, the car just slid backwards. With TracOn, it ascended the hill.

With that being said, if one of your tires hits the puddle as you describe, and that tire loses traction, that wheel will spin faster, since it has no traction. The brakes will be applied to that wheel, not the one with full traction.

Engine power reduction is a last resort effort, not a first option response. Because, applying the brakes to particular wheels, can shift the vehicles momentum, to try to regain control. That doesn't happen when you just reduce power. The ECU will reduce power if none of the brakes is affecting your trajectory, (prob because you have no traction anywhere), so reducing power to lower you velocity in hopes that one of the wheels will "catch".

If leaving the VDC on would really cause you to lose control of your car in rainy situations, no auto manufacturer in the world would take on that kind of liability by offering that "safety device", as standard equipment.

Last edited by avs007; 07-12-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:50 PM
All I know is this...if Infiniti made a stability system which got you into a accident versus you not having it, they would have a very big problem on their hands.
I also know another thing...the engineers at Nissan are probably a hell of a lot smarter than I am and I think I'll just let the computer do it's thing.

Note: I don't know anything about keeping VDC on of off nor do I prefer one or the other. I'm just saying what makes sense to me. I'd be hard-pressed to believe they didn't test VDC in the rain and even if it was proven to be worse, for them not to give some sort of warning to owners (maybe in the manual). That's like asking for Nissan to go bankrupt from distrust and lawsuits. I mean heck, they have labels telling us coffee is hot, be careful now.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:10 PM
WRAH
Originally Posted by 94gxe
If y ou are driving on High Performance tires you will have trouble with rain and snow. They are designed for dry roads. Get some of the top rated All Seasons - Bridgestone RE950, Turanza, any of the top 5 listed in the Tire Rack survey and you should be okay. I'm on Bridgestone RE92, model before the RE950, with about 40K miles on them, live in the Seattle area and only have problems when the roads have standing water on them. Normal rain, all winter long, they are great.
Yet everyone rates them well to okay in the rain?

Old 07-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by rollover
Quick question on how the G coupe handles in the rain. I talked to a G35 sedan owner and he commented that the coupes his friends have handle like Mustangs in the rain and snow. The winter I'm not too worried about as that is why I am keeping my Avalanche but I would hate to buy a car that can only be driven on sunny dry days. Hell, may as well go with the Ultra at that point. Let me know how they handle in different weather situations.
Handling is no problem in the rain. Tested it last year without traction control doing slalom @ 60 mph in heavy rain. If you keep taction control the car will drive itself. Regarding snow I never tried it.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I fine tune my car's suspension settings in the rain. I set it so it's got mild
understeer during turn-in and VDC not to kick in through the turn while
accelerating gradually.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Here is a quote from the infiniti website on the VDC as well as a disclaimer at the bottom.
Quote:
"A sudden change in surface consistency can affect your car's stability during evasive maneuvering. Vehicle Dynamic Control* uses an array of sensors to help determine your steered path and to help keep you in control. If your vehicle begins to understeer (plow forward) or oversteer (fishtail), VDC applies appropriate brake pressure to individual wheels and/or reduces engine output to help keep both ends in line. Also, to help enhance rear-wheel grip when the G35 Coupe accelerates, Infiniti developed a Traction Control System that senses wheelspin and automatically reduces engine output to help give you a surer foothold.

*VDC cannot prevent accidents due to abrupt steering, carelessness, or dangerous driving techniques. Always drive safely."

Old 07-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
That's not how VDC/Traction Control works. In a typical differential, the power always goes to the wheel that spins faster. If you drive with one wheel on ice, and the other on dry pavement, the tire that is on the ice, will just spin.

If you have traction control, the ECU will apply the brakes onto the tire that is spinning faster. The reason it does this, is that it is trying to slow the tire down, such that the other tire will spin faster, and get the power from the differential.

I saw a very good demo on this, (Electronic Stability Control), at the Deutche Museum when I was in Munich. It explained how in this particular scenario, it would be impossible for the car to ascend the hill without traction control. And that's what happened in the demo. With TracOff, the car just slid backwards. With TracOn, it ascended the hill.

With that being said, if one of your tires hits the puddle as you describe, and that tire loses traction, that wheel will spin faster, since it has no traction. The brakes will be applied to that wheel, not the one with full traction.

Engine power reduction is a last resort effort, not a first option response. Because, applying the brakes to particular wheels, can shift the vehicles momentum, to try to regain control. That doesn't happen when you just reduce power. The ECU will reduce power if none of the brakes is affecting your trajectory, (prob because you have no traction anywhere), so reducing power to lower you velocity in hopes that one of the wheels will "catch".

If leaving the VDC on would really cause you to lose control of your car in rainy situations, no auto manufacturer in the world would take on that kind of liability by offering that "safety device", as standard equipment.

Okay mc2 and madchef, Take a good look at this

Drink it in, Because this is how nice people explain things. Instead of instantly shoving your opinon down my throat and turning it into a pissing contest, You could just Explan it in a nice, calm, non condensading (sp?) way!

I completely agree with you, Despite my limited rain XP and tring it both on and off in VERY heavy rain. I can agree with a well put statement like that! And i'll probably leave it on the next time I drive.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:15 AM
MORE POWER PLZ!!!
okay.. i been reading this thread and i just had my G for about 3 months now never knew what VDC was, well i did but i always left it on. So tell me this with VDC off its more funner to drive, yes i know that. But wen you start to understeer how do you control it? i tested it out going on a curve at bout 85-90 mph it started to understeer so all i did was move the steering wheel more to the left and ease off the gas then at about 85 mph put my foot back on the gas.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by Jtrain
Okay mc2 and madchef, Take a good look at this

Drink it in, Because this is how nice people explain things. Instead of instantly shoving your opinon down my throat and turning it into a pissing contest, You could just Explan it in a nice, calm, non condensading (sp?) way!

I completely agree with you, Despite my limited rain XP and tring it both on and off in VERY heavy rain. I can agree with a well put statement like that! And i'll probably leave it on the next time I drive.

Jtrain, you remind me a lot like another little 16 year old boy that would cry every time he got owned. I bet you're around his age:

his name is WizzatheL337, o yea it's spelled 'condescending' btw

-----

Leave the VDC on in the rain for safety, unless you're out to have a little fun. Just keep it safe and we're all good.

PS. to the owner who got the almighty Bridgestone Potenza RE92's, haha trust me when I say they're no good, either in rain or dry ground. I had them as stockers on my WRX. Pretty horrible tires. Stock Pilots on the G 03/04's and stock Bridgestone RE9050 on the 6MT 05's are far superior tires.

Last edited by iampaul; 07-13-2005 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Hope this hasn't been said yet. Read Super Street a few months back they did a big tire test and Pilot Sport PS2 came out on top and were the best for wet handling and braking.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Instead of instantly shoving your opinon down my throat and turning it into a pissing contest, You could just Explan it in a nice, calm, non condensading (sp?) way!
If you turn off your VCD in the rain your fine, but MAKE SURE YOU DO, or you may die.
Seriously man, please stop posting. You just keep owning yourself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rain handling