G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

rain handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rain handling

Quick question on how the G coupe handles in the rain. I talked to a G35 sedan owner and he commented that the coupes his friends have handle like Mustangs in the rain and snow. The winter I'm not too worried about as that is why I am keeping my Avalanche but I would hate to buy a car that can only be driven on sunny dry days. Hell, may as well go with the Ultra at that point. Let me know how they handle in different weather situations.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:49 PM
WRAH
Originally Posted by rollover
Quick question on how the G coupe handles in the rain. I talked to a G35 sedan owner and he commented that the coupes his friends have handle like Mustangs in the rain and snow. The winter I'm not too worried about as that is why I am keeping my Avalanche but I would hate to buy a car that can only be driven on sunny dry days. Hell, may as well go with the Ultra at that point. Let me know how they handle in different weather situations.
I've never had the slightest hint of problems in the rain, even at high speeds. Stock 18" pilots.

The sub-zero isn't bad either, but the snow is a killer w/o winter tires!

I drive my Explorer...

Old 07-12-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm not going to lie, my G coupe is kinda scary to drive in the rain at times.. I'll be approaching a curve in the road, and I just dont have the confidence to take those turns. Its deffinetly possible, but you've really got to take it easy. But hey, this may just be because my Bridgestone Potenzas suck..

Old 07-12-2005, 01:01 PM
The one I am looking at also has the Pilots. I figured winter would be a trip but don't really want to get into the rain thing also. I used to only buy Mustangs but those things suck in the rain not to mention the snow. My Mustangs would always hydro in the rain. Used to scare the crap out of me. One of the main reasons I don't buy them anymore. Just wanted to get some feedback before I make my purchase. Everything is set up for next Thursday. The guy who commented on the coupes rain performance has an 05 GSx sedan. He claims that is the only one to buy as it handles like it is on rails in inclimate weather.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:11 PM
I have no problem with my coupe in the rain. I have Pilot A/S....

Old 07-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Pilot Sports on my 6MT, and I think it handles superbly in the rain

Old 07-12-2005, 02:04 PM
I've had zero problems with bridgestones in the rain... though i only have ~5000 miles on them.

Even in some torential downpours they did fine... though i wasnt flying around corners or doing any spirited driving in the rain.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you turn off your VCD in the rain your fine, but MAKE SURE YOU DO, or you may die.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rain

In contrast to what the person above wrote, I don't advise you turn the VDC off in the rain. I did in the rain and wanted to slide a bit, but when I pressed to much gas going into the turn, the car spun out of control. I was lucky and didn't hit anything. As long as VDC is turned on and working, you should not have any problems in the rain. Although VDC off on dry pavement, that's a different story. The rear slides very nice and relatively easy to control when dry.

As for the guy hydroplanning in the rain, that's all about tires I think. My previous car I used to hydro in the rain very bad, but once I had summer tires on, it handled in heavy rain just as on dry pavement.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:42 PM
I've never had any handling issues in the rain, like hydroplaning or anything. Acceleration off the line is the only thing that gets bad. I'm still running the stock Michelin Pilots

Old 07-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Well In contrast to Theknite, You will hydroplane if you keep your VDC on. Your car will pull to the puddle, If you take it off you'll be fine.

My Advice to Theknite, Don't go over 3k rpms in the rain or else your asking for tuble.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtrain
Well In contrast to Theknite, You will hydroplane if you keep your VDC on. Your car will pull to the puddle, If you take it off you'll be fine.

My Advice to Theknite, Don't go over 3k rpms in the rain or else your asking for tuble.
A call will hydroplane when it's tires have no contact with the pavement (seperated by the water).

Please explain how VDC being turned off will restore contact to the pavement.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jtrain
where can i get some of this tuble?

Old 07-12-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm in Seattle where it's known for rain. I have Pirelli P-Zero M&S's on right now and have no problem with the rain. Just drive smart.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by madchef
A call will hydroplane when it's tires have no contact with the pavement (seperated by the water).

Please explain how VDC being turned off will restore contact to the pavement.
No, I won't explain it smart-***, But if you keep it off, you'll notice taking the puddles will be a lot easier

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rain handling