G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Easy Auto Theft???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ozracer01
Yes
Unfortunately all newer Nissan and Infiniti vehicles have this "feature." I think they wanted to make it look cool you know..stick your key in the door, and be able to open both windows if its a hot day...but thats just asking a thief to break into a car. Members at fresh alloy have disabled the entire lock mechanism all together and covered up the key hole with a passenger side key hole cover which is availiable at the dealership.

Sorry about what happened, i think about it all the time
Yeah, I think when I get it repaired im not gonna put a door lock and just cover it with another passenger plate... This is rediculous.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:46 PM
I just talked to the service mngr at the dealership and he's going to check into it. I'll let you guys know what he says.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wow! This is BAD!

Old 07-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by GreekDeno_AWOTGM
I just talked to the service mngr at the dealership and he's going to check into it. I'll let you guys know what he says.
He called back and said there was nothing in the master electrical book about moding that, but he said to have the master tech look at it when I bring my car in for other work.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:20 PM
This is true for just about every car out there and the thiefs have known for some time. I've had 2 cars broken into in this way over the course of about 10 years. The alarm on the second one apparently didn't draw enough attention.

What's interesting is that your lock still seems to function. There are 2 ways the screwdrive method works. It either turns the whole lock in it's mounting hole, or shears all the tumblers/tears the pin guides. The former is more common in older cars, as the locks were generic and front mounted through a D-hole. The sheet metal would strip easy. In the latter, the lock itself is permanently damaged, usually causing things to bind and freezing the lock in the broken position. If they shear clean, the lock may appear to be fine, but the cylinder can be freely turned with your key, any other key, or even a smaller screwdriver than before. I'd check to make sure your keyhole is still a lock.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, that pretty much sums it up folks. I guess I'd better try to get a passenger side keyhole cover. Regardless of whether the key operation function can be disabled or not, I don't want some A$$ messing with my driver side keyhole. At least the cover might be a slim deterrent . . . I hope.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, that's crazy, I didn't even know about the features, I have never unlocked the car with my key.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Not that a cover is going to do much good, but can we get these somewhere?

Old 07-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Hey NIGHTMARE...you said they stole your leather instruction book, correct? By any chance did you happen to leave your valet key in there? ALOT of people, without realizing, leave their valet key in their glove box because they feel it has no use...so many times theives just break into cars and try to find the valet key....someone broke into my mom's rx330, and even though there was a valentine one sitting on the dashboard, they just messed things around and didn't even steal the radar detector. Our body shop told us that the more sophisticated theives just want the car, that's all.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by shunra
I don't think disabling this "feature" really helps reduce the risk. If a theif can force the door lock with a screw driver to unroll the windows, surely he can do the same to unlock the door. I think putting the passenger side cover on is the way to go.
the issue i think is that this bypasses the alarm. using it to just open the car door will trigger the alarm. I was told our car does have an alarm built in. is this correct?

I think the suggestion of getting an after market alarm that goes off when the window goes down is the best fix. I used to live in a high break in area (downtown portland) and i had my SUV broken into 3 times IN our secure garage in 4 months. I eventually stopped locking it and just never left anything of value in the car. THANKFULLY i have a personal garage now.

-DZ

Old 07-18-2005, 08:46 PM
1) most cars these days have this (ford, mercedes, bmw for sure from previous cars I've owned).

2) all it does is get your windows down. the locks should stay locked - well at least in the BMW they did.

3) if they want it - they get it. Plain and simple.

The most popular way to break into cars today is to pop the whole cylinder with a body banger and reach in for the levers/wires through the whole. Disabling the window feature won't do squat for that.

Sleep better :0

Old 07-18-2005, 08:53 PM
If they can turn the screwdriver wouldnt the car unlock? I don't understand how u can just shove it in and have it turn. And why would the windows go down but the car not unlock?? Anyone else know where the covers can be bought? I think it may be a good idea to do.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Let me guess, this happened in NJ. They can get into the car, but they probably cannot start the car. This happened to my twice already. Get an aftermarket alarm with shock sensor (or add a shock sensor to the stock alarm)and do not keep keys or anything valuable in the car. When I leave the car parked outside, I now I flip open the cubby hole, both glove boxes, ashtray, center console and arm rest. Take all valuables out of sight, or better yet get it out of the car. They got into my friend's BMW and stole my friends Audi S4 this way.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Get a real alarm, the OEM one is terrible. An Autolock probably wouldn't hurt either.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:58 PM
my car had been towed once and when I went to go pick it up and turned on the engine,my car jumped because someone had left it in first gear and I didn't look before I turned on my engine(I always leave it in neutral). I then went and talked to the guy and he said he had to get in because he needed to get in my car to put it in first to get it moving. That just tells how easy it is to get into our cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Easy Auto Theft???