G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Easy Auto Theft???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Easy Auto Theft???

OK so here is the story. I went out to eat some sushi sat night. I was in the place for about 45 mins, and when i came back to my car I noticed my windows were down. Now, I KNOW that i rolled up my windows and my girlfriend remembers me doing so. As soon as I sat in my car I saw that there were papers on the floor. I inspected my vehicle and found my door lock damaged with what looked like a flat head screwdriver. So i stuck my key in the hole just to see what happens and when I turn it left the windows roll down. IS that normal!!!!I mean it makes it so easy to break into the car!! The only thing they stole was my leather insrtuction manual kit, but the point it they broke into the car with a screwdriver, or at least i think they did??? Can anyone shed some light on this for me, im a little baffled......

Old 07-18-2005, 02:53 PM
shiet..

Old 07-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Gangster Member
delete this thread before theifs read it

Old 07-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow . . . That sucks. Yes, the windows can be lowered and raised by turning the key in the driver's side keyhole. Using a flathead screwdriver in the same fashion to operate the windows does sound quite plausible.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I trust that upon further inspection of your G that nothing of greater value was taken.

Thanks for the heads up with regard to the potential break-in possibility.

Old 07-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Yes
Unfortunately all newer Nissan and Infiniti vehicles have this "feature." I think they wanted to make it look cool you know..stick your key in the door, and be able to open both windows if its a hot day...but thats just asking a thief to break into a car. Members at fresh alloy have disabled the entire lock mechanism all together and covered up the key hole with a passenger side key hole cover which is availiable at the dealership.

Sorry about what happened, i think about it all the time

Old 07-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Sorry to hear that, but atleast they didn't steal anything valuable. I actually find it funny that they stole THAT of all things. I guess the theifs were happy they broke in, and when they saw there was nothing of value, they felt they had to steal something

Just trying to lighten the mood.. on a more serious note, I never really thought of this as an issue until now. I think I might have that disabled as well. I do use the roll down feature often, but I use it from my key fob (just hold unlock). Next time I bring my car to the dealer, can I ask to have the key sensor rolldown feature disabled, yet still have it work if I use the keyfob?

Old 07-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Gangster Member
time to shave my door handles

Old 07-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TheGest
delete this thread before theifs read it
I don't think deleting this thread would help matters, at this point. More importantly, I think our members should be aware of this lastest occurrence. Thus, affording members to be a bit more informed and allowing them to discover additional security options, if so desired.

. . . But still . . . Dang!

Old 07-18-2005, 03:20 PM
so any idiot can jam a screwdriver in the keyhole and the windows will open?

is there anyway to disable that window rolldown option?

Old 07-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by heeb
Sorry to hear that, but atleast they didn't steal anything valuable. I actually find it funny that they stole THAT of all things. I guess the theifs were happy they broke in, and when they saw there was nothing of value, they felt they had to steal something

Just trying to lighten the mood.. on a more serious note, I never really thought of this as an issue until now. I think I might have that disabled as well. I do use the roll down feature often, but I use it from my key fob (just hold unlock). Next time I bring my car to the dealer, can I ask to have the key sensor rolldown feature disabled, yet still have it work if I use the keyfob?
heeb, thank you. That is a great suggestion. I will ask my service consultant if it is possible to disable the key/window operation feature, as well.

I trust the other members will review this thread and perhaps do the same.

Old 07-18-2005, 03:23 PM
An aftermarket alarm would help. They would still be able to open the windows but at least the alarm would go off.

Even my friend's '99 maxima had this. I like the remote feature of dropping the windows but I wish we could do away with the keylock functionality.

Old 07-18-2005, 03:25 PM
yea i first heard about this over a year ago...

don't remember if it was on this board or freshalloy or 6MT but someone posted pics of their keyhole after someone had jammed a screwdriver in it to get the windows down same as yours.

He went ahead and put the passenger side cover on his driver side after that.

If you guys park your cars outside at night (ie: do not own a garage) i would definitly recommend doing the same.

cant be that expensive for that little cover plate...

Old 07-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
My previous bimmers all have this function. However, I never thought of the potential consequences.

Old 07-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Does anyone know for sure that the key option can disabled? I have a need for the valet key, so the keyhole cover is not an option.

Old 07-18-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't think disabling this "feature" really helps reduce the risk. If a theif can force the door lock with a screw driver to unroll the windows, surely he can do the same to unlock the door. I think putting the passenger side cover on is the way to go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Easy Auto Theft???