G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Who learned to drive stick on their G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who learned to drive stick on their G

Just wanted to see how many people here learned to drive stick on their G. I'm leaning towards trading my '03 in for an '06 and getting a 6MT this time.

How hard is it? Is it a good idea to learn on a new car? How would I get it home from the dealer??? (this is my biggest question, if i dont have a way to learn before i pick it up).

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i learned stick on my G. the first 2 weeks were hell!!! however, it was totaly worth it. most people will say get some old beater and learn on that first. you dont have to, but it is the better route to take.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:17 PM
I didn't exactly learn on my 6MT, but I didn't have a lot of experience driving manual transmission before getting mine. I learned on a friend's car and only drove manual maybe 10 or 12 times before I got my G35.
I would strongly suggest learning at least the basics before you pick up your car. You really don't want to try to learn on your way home from the dealer. IMO, that's just asking for an accident on a new car. Ask a friend to teach you. If you can't find someone to teach you, then I know there are places you can pay for lessons to learn how to drive manual.
Once you learn the basics, though, it won't be hard to learn to drive the G35. It is harder to drive than other MT's, but after a few stalls, over-revving, etc. you'll get the hang of it.
But if you stick with it (no pun intended), it will be worth all the trouble! Guaranteeed!!

Old 07-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you guys are insane...

Old 07-20-2005, 01:24 PM
i had no idea there were that many people out there that were new to MT. When i was 15 i was learning how to drive a stick.

It is rough at first but after a couple weeks you will love the control you have versus an AT.

Good luck...REMEMBER dont RIDE the clutch!! =)

-DZ

Old 07-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know someone that learned on his 2005 G... he got it down pretty good now... he even takes the car to tracks...

Old 07-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Do it, it will be much easyer with the torque the car has, take your time, go to a empty parking lot and practice going forward and backwards... don't forget you can't stop the car with out using the clutch if your not in neutral

Old 07-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by djinferno
Do it, it will be much easyer with the torque the car has, take your time, go to a empty parking lot and practice going forward and backwards... don't forget you can't stop the car with out using the clutch if your not in neutral
You have to use the brake and clutch at the same time while braking?

Old 07-20-2005, 02:19 PM
I learned how to drive stick shift from G as well. It is my very first manual car. I asked my friend to pick up the car from dealer together. He drove the car for me. Just didn’t want to get accident on the first day. The first month was difficult for me. It did take sometime to learn. Every night after the dinner, I took my car out to practice around the neighborhood. It was almost nine months ago. Now, there is no problem to drive at all. Just take your time to learn and go easy on your car. You will get it.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:30 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by coupin827
You have to use the brake and clutch at the same time while braking?
Just push the clutch in, put it in neutral, let off the clutch while braking till you come to a stop. The G is a pretty hard stick car to drive smoothly or learn on for that matter. I recently drove a Vette and a Jeep MT and both were a piece of cake after you get used to the G. The two things that are hard are taking off in 1st and rev-matching your shifts (especially 1-2nd). But don't let that scare you, as long as you're careful and don't burn up or ride your clutch, you're not going to kill the car.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by djinferno
I totally agree about learning stick being easier on higher torque cars. All that power just makes it really obvious. The 1-2 (possibly even 2-3) shift will be jerky till you get used to it, but getting into first is a whole lot easier. I learned on my last car (Audi S4) and it was a breeze.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah I really don't see why everyone says "OMG you are going to ruin your new car". Well if you are half coordinated you will learn in a matter of hours.

I had never driven a stick until a month before I got the G. I asked my buddy to teach me in his 89 BMW 3.25 (with no 3rd gear I must add) and after getting the clutch point down I was driving on city streets in an hour.

I went and test drove a 6MT to see if I would like it and didn't stall it once.

From there I bought my G another month later and drove it home from 2 hours away in rush hour traffic and didn't stall it once. I have stalled it once since then on a monster hill. I should have used the e-brake but tried to play it off cool. Oh well

I'm telling you, find your point where the clutch engages and learn that position...you can't lose from there. The VQ has enough torque that you won't have to give it much gas to take off. It pulls on it's own once it is in 1st.

My opinion? Learn the basics then go test drive and see how you feel. If you are comfortable go for it...if not then don't. I had the G I test drove sideways

Old 07-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Did I mention that I taught my fiancee and she drives the car better than I do (gently of course, it is always easier to drive it hard). Well that and she drives it all the time

It's a brease. She was a nervous wreck but learned in a couple weeks too.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:50 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by infi-G
I totally agree about learning stick being easier on higher torque cars. All that power just makes it really obvious. The 1-2 (possibly even 2-3) shift will be jerky till you get used to it, but getting into first is a whole lot easier. I learned on my last car (Audi S4) and it was a breeze.
Not always. A civic or a miata are easier to learn on than a G. Torque helps a lot to get the car rolling in 1st without stalling, but it can't do much about clutch modulation.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:53 PM
*raises hand*

it's not really hell. prior to driving the G i rented a kia 5 speed for 2 hours, but other than that i was a stick virgin. First week, stall 1-2 times a day, 2nd week 1 stall every other day, 3rd week rare if stalls. the kicker is, learning to drive on a G then got in a friends Maxima (or any other car) and it's cake (CAKE!). I luv the manual.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who learned to drive stick on their G