Once you go black ........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i love black when its clean

Old 09-21-2005, 06:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife has a black wide body 996 C4S and it about the most gorgeous car I have ever seen. The black color makes it look menacing, and the Porsche sports exhaust makes it sound menacing. My wife has the right attitude about a black car, and that's not to worry about it when it gets dirty. She has it washed by detailers who use an air compressor to dry it, and her car has a few scratches that only can be seen under the right lighting.

I on the other hand have a black Infiniti which has the orange peel effect; that's very disappointing from an upscale car manufacturer like Infiniti. I also have lots of superficial scratches which I minimize by waxing. This will be my last black car.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by mrjonang
black is too much of a hassle! sometimes i wish i had laser red, lol
no way, laser red would be my LAST choice. some cars just dont look good in certain colors. The G looks best in black, but white and silver arent far behind.

My last car was a silver Grand Cherokee- I never had to wash it and it always looked clean.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
5 black cars in a row for me. I must be a masochist.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:07 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by picus112
5 black cars in a row for me. I must be a masochist.
Car looks awesome but I think you're right.

I'll stick to my Graphite - hubby has to wash his IP constantly and mine looks clean 90% of the time unless you are really close up.

Would have liked the black but I don't have that kind of time.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Once you go black all you see are swirl marks. Who wants to wash their car 3 times a week to get a shine I guess those who have nothing else to do. Ill stick with the classy DG

Old 09-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by trey's wife
Car looks awesome but I think you're right.

I'll stick to my Graphite - hubby has to wash his IP constantly and mine looks clean 90% of the time unless you are really close up.

Would have liked the black but I don't have that kind of time.
+1

Old 09-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Well, I will say this - I think some of you (wash 3 times a week?) are making black out to be a little less forgiving than it is. I understand well what a pain it can be, but if you do a little routine cleaning it can stay looking good virtually all the time, and it isn't much more work than IP or red. A lot of folks just don't know how to keep from marring black, so their cars look bad most of the time. Believe it or not that picture above was taken about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't actually washed my car in over 2 months. I give it a qd wipedown once a week and it looks great - takes ~10 minutes. Spray on wax once a month takes about 5.

I do agree that DG is the best all round color for looks/ease of use. I'm hoping Infiniti adds an even darker grey (ala Audi's gunmetal grey) to their lineup soon.

Last edited by Picus; 09-21-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:46 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by picus112
Well, I will say this - I think some of you (wash 3 times a week?) are making black out to be a little less forgiving than it is. I understand well what a pain it can be, but if you do a little routine cleaning it can stay looking good virtually all the time, and it isn't much more work than IP or red. A lot of folks just don't know how to keep from marring black, so their cars look bad most of the time. Believe it or not that picture above was taken about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't actually washed my car in over 2 months. I give it a qd wipedown once a week and it looks great - takes ~10 minutes. Spray on wax once a month takes about 5.

I do agree that DG is the best all round color for looks/ease of use. I'm hoping Infiniti adds an even darker grey (ala Audi's gunmetal grey) to their lineup soon.
Just curious - do you drive your car daily? Maybe it is more where you are but my car _needs_ a wash at least once a week whether it gets one or not. I want my car to look good but I am NOT **** about it either.

OMG - that gunmetal grey would be awesome! Personally I would like a nice dark maroon color - seen it on a few cars but I don't know what it is called. A nice navy-ish color would be good to - with the same metallic undertone that the DG has.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:07 PM
Staff ALUMNI
I would totally buy that berillium (sp?) they offered on the FX's awhile ago, I loved that color. It's sort of a browny/purple. And totally on the gunmetal, my neighbor has a TT in that color and she can drive it through a muddy pit of sandpaper and it still looks good.

I do drive my car daily on the QEW and Gardiner Expressway, two of Toronto's busiest freeways, it does get dirty (mostly thick dust) - but when I get home I normally grab some spray and wipe and wipe down the horizontal surfaces, then on Fridays (my day off) I go over the car with spray and gloss. Usually it ends up that I am tired and just do the friday wipedown, though. I live in a condo so I can't wash the car unless I use a waterless wash, but I find that a little prevention (wiping down when I get home) goes a long way towards keeping it looking clean all the time. Normally takes about 5 minutes, then 10-15 on fridays when I do the whole car, depends on if I clean the wheels. I do get some micro-marring because I am touching the car every day, so it's inevitable, but I just polish those out once every couple months. Just an fyi - spray and wipe (poorboys) is just about my favorite product ever, and I have a lot of them.

I think a lot of folks with black cars often wash imporperly or don't bother washing until the car is too dirty then they notice all the swirls and scratches and get discouraged. It does take some dilligence, but maintaining a black car can be done in a reasonable amount of time.

So yes, I do spend ~1 hour a week or so cleaning the car. Then probably 4 hours every second month polishing it, but 12 hours every 2 months is fine by me. My neighbors think I'm weird but whatever!

Old 09-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by heeb
Disagree.

Your first black car is your last black car.
+1

I loved my black Prelude, but keeping it clean was a nightmare. Especially when construction is still going on in your neighborhood.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:43 PM
Here's why I like black so much.

The shine isn't that hard to maintain if it wasn't for the dang dust! I hope the photo attaches this time.

Attached Thumbnails Once you go black ........-picture-005.jpg  
Old 09-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thats how we do it

Old 09-21-2005, 10:50 PM
My 3rd black car so far... Love it there is nothing that compares when clean and waxed

Old 09-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Yep, black is a beautiful color on car's , especially G's . Its true also that it takes a lot of time and care but it looks so sick! My coupe is black , and my next car will also be black.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Once you go black ........