G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Once you go black ........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GmanDan
When she's clean - there's nothing better. It's just a full time job. What do ya think?
WORD

Old 09-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who think keeping black paint looking as good as another color, like silver, is not that much harder.....one word....'Denial'.

Of course, I live in the Seattle area and it tends to drizzle often here. But darn those swirlmarks on black.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Heh - for those of you who are so sure that us black owners spend every waking moment spitshining our cars...one word..."'Denial'.

I detail cars in my spare time. Silver is easiest work work on, no one but a fool would argue that . Is it *much* harder to keep black looking good? No, it requires the exact same process, just a little more time. And by little, I mean if it takes 4 hours to detail a silver car, it might take 5 to detail a black one. Even un-washed silver cars can look miserable.

Last edited by Picus; 09-23-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:47 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by picus112
Heh - for those of you who are so sure that us black owners spend every waking moment spitshining our cars...one word..."'Denial'.

I detail cars in my spare time. Silver is easiest work work on, no one but a fool would argue that . Is it *much* harder to keep black looking good? No, it requires the exact same process, just a little more time. And by little, I mean if it takes 4 hours to detail a silver car, it might take 5 to detail a black one. Even un-washed silver cars can look miserable.
Picus - where are you from? You said way back in this thread that you could wipe the car off basically once a day in a few minutes. I am wondering where you and if this is a difference of environmental conditions. There is little that wiping over either of our cars is going to do to remove the dirt just from daily driving. Maybe this is more a question of where you are located. I doubt very many days in the Pacific NW would do for just a wipe down either with all the rain and damp there.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Ya you've got a point re: the Pacific NW. I lived in SF for years and when my car was street parked it got seriously dirty for tree leaves/sap/rain/road dirt, etc... When I garaged it I was ok, though. I still had 3 black cars when I lived there

I live in Toronto now - it's a smoggy, dusty city - but there isn't a lot of rain in the summer, so when I get home my car is normally just covered in a pretty thick layer of dust/road grime. Spray & Wipe takes that right off and since I have wax on it (and propper prep) it looks great after the wipedown.

You're in Alabama, no? It's weird that you couldn't just do a daily wipe off with spray & wipe too, unless you're driving dirt/gravel roads or something. Normal highway road dust should come right off if you give it a quick wipe at night.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:49 PM
My horns hold up my halo
You're in Alabama, no? It's weird that you couldn't just do a daily wipe off with spray & wipe too, unless you're driving dirt/gravel roads or something. Normal highway road dust should come right off if you give it a quick wipe at night.
My car gets dirty enough to notice, if you're looking, from just sitting in the driveway! It's enough to drive me nuts sometimes. Also we get this grime "stuff" that ends up on Trey's car where it looks like you took charcoal dust and put it on the car and then sprinkled enough water to make it run down. We have no idea what this is but it is happening when he is at work and it happens to several other people too.

Maybe what hurts us here is the humidity and the heat. Stuff must just get baked in over the coarse of a day out in the elements. LOL. I don't know what it is but if the car were black I would be going insane.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Hm, sounds like there is something in the air there

My car is garaged when it's not driving, at work and at home, so maybe I'm lucky. I hear you on the heat and humidity too. I'm glad this summer is slowly coming to an end!

Old 09-23-2005, 04:00 PM
My horns hold up my halo
My car is garaged when it's not driving, at work and at home, so maybe I'm lucky.
Well there you go!! If my car stayed in a garage the majority of it's life it wouldn't be too dirty either.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Haha, still - I've put 12,000 km on in 4 months, so it isn't a garage queen. That was my point, I guess.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Mine is black and I am verry happy i picked that color... There is nothing more ellegant a black car hehe of course it has to be an elegant car like the G... but it is har to maintain...

Old 09-23-2005, 06:17 PM

My two previous cars were black and I certainly know the process to maintain them. I do love the look when it's clean, but the point is, after some good waxing, I had once driven my G for 3-4 weeks without a wash and it still looked great (even in direct sunlight). A black one would've looked grey by then. That's where the 'time' comes into play.