G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Please Help - Strange Noise On Start Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help - Strange Noise On Start Up

Maybe someone can help, since the Techs at the Infiniti dealership can't seem to figure out what is going on and they have had my car for almost a MONTH...

My G is 2003, 6pd, Sprt Package, with 62k Miles. It consistently makes a loud sound on startup, that sounds like metal on metal coming from the engine bay. It only does this during startup and is much more noticeable if it's a cold start. Once the car is on at idle, or driving there are no weird noises.

The Infiniti techs have replaced all the belts, the timing chain, and the timing chain tensioners. I believe part of the reason it has taken so long is because they will replace one thing, put it all back together and oh wait problem is still there. Replace something else, put it back together, again problem persists.

Up until today, I have been very polite and understanding regarding the situation, however this is becoming ridiculous. I have had the car for only two months, and half that time it has been sitting back at the dealership.

So, maybe someone on here has had the same problem or a similar problem or can give some suggestions because I'm pretty much out of patience and they don't seem to know wtf is up.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:53 AM
One other thing, not sure if it might be related or not, but also upon startup the RPMs will jump, kinda high IMO to about 1800-2200. Again, not sure if all G35 6spds do this, but my previous cars (m3 & supra) which were both standards didn't exhibit this behavior.

I would be inclined to say this issue, and the strange noise are related but the noise sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine - not near the clutch, tranny or drive shaft. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:27 AM
dont tell me it's the ABS diagnostic procedure sound that cause you all this....its a subtule "grouiiiinggggg" commin from the front left as the car start moving. If it's that its normal and its indicated in the user manual.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:37 AM
have you had the AC compressor replaced yet? I just spent 9 months with this (started at 18K). After 6 visits (overnights so they could cold soak start it), this was the first morning it didnt make that noise until warm.

They just told me they replaced the compessor again, but I dont buy that as this is my third compressor. However, they mentioned the compressor failed and damaged something else (not detailed on my service print out). I already had new pulleys and belts (repeatedly), so know it wasnt that.

Kinda funny because I was insisting it was the timing chain and VTC. They insisted I got a bad (new) compressor. Which just happened to make the same sound as the other. Highly unlikely, but the sound is gone this morning. :/ I might call them and ask them what else they (finally) found.

/edit: this is not the timing chain rattle which I know is normal. This is a warbly metallic screech that goes on for like 3 mins. If you dont know what I'm talking about, good! you dont want to go thru this mess.

Last edited by TimW; 09-21-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by ericsherbrooke
dont tell me it's the ABS diagnostic procedure sound that cause you all this....its a subtule "grouiiiinggggg" commin from the front left as the car start moving. If it's that its normal and its indicated in the user manual.
This is not a subtle noise by any means, it's a rather loud metal on metal, like screech that lasts about 3 seconds upon starting the vehicle. It does it all the time when starting the car, although it is louder on cold starts.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by TimW
have you had the AC compressor replaced yet? I just spent 9 months with this (started at 18K). After 6 visits (overnights so they could cold soak start it), this was the first morning it didnt make that noise until warm.

They just told me they replaced the compessor again, but I dont buy that as this is my third compressor. However, they mentioned the compressor failed and damaged something else (not detailed on my service print out). I already had new pulleys and belts (repeatedly), so know it wasnt that.

Kinda funny because I was insisting it was the timing chain and VTC. They insisted I got a bad (new) compressor. Which just happened to make the same sound as the other. Highly unlikely, but the sound is gone this morning. :/ I might call them and ask them what else they (finally) found.

/edit: this is not the timing chain rattle which I know is normal. This is a warbly metallic screech that goes on for like 3 mins. If you dont know what I'm talking about, good! you dont want to go thru this mess.

I don't believe they have done anything with my A/C compressor. I actually asked them to check that out when I brought it in because it didn't seem to be blowing as hard or as cold, but that could have been my perception since it's common for the temps to be 100+ degrees here in the summer. They supposedly checked it out and said it was OK...

Also, this noise is definitely not the timing chain rattle that is common. It sounds very similar to the noise mentioned above, but only lasts a couple seconds.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had experienced the same sort of sound upon cold starts at 1200 miles. The tech said it was a valve train noise due to low oil. My G is on its last 1500 mile engine oil consumption test. Up to this point, I think that my G simply burnt a bit more oil during break-in than most.

I am sure that your techs will have ruled the above out. It's too easy to check the oil.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by andy2434
I had experienced the same sort of sound upon cold starts at 1200 miles. The tech said it was a valve train noise due to low oil. My G is on its last 1500 mile engine oil consumption test. Up to this point, I think that my G simply burnt a bit more oil during break-in than most.

I am sure that your techs will have ruled the above out. It's too easy to check the oil.
Hmm, I have made sure it has enough oil, but dunno the last time it was changed as I purchased it used. I would *assume* they changed all that stuff when they brought in the vehicle, but maybe not. Still, when I checked the dipstick the oil didn't appear dirty and still had a lot of transparency. Did they give you any other specifics?