G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Stock clutch.. wtf is the deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 06:53 PM
► Matt ◄
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock clutch.. wtf is the deal?

I got 24k on my G with the stock clutch. I never ride the clutch nor slip it. For some reason the only time I ever smell burnt clutch is sometimes in the snow, but that changed sunday morning. It had rained the night before so the roads were pretty wet. I was going to work at 7am with no one on the road. I approached a stop sign and was making a right onto a main road and wanted to get woken up and have some fun. I shut off vdc and hit the gas dropping the clutch at about 2500rpms. (keep in mind im on my snow tires right now, their only 235/50/17s in back) The car goes completely sideways, I correct it and hit second gear, the tires still spinning (my foot is off the clutch) i shift at 5k into third (foot off clutch again) and spin completly through third. I shift to 4th and ease up off the gas to stop the tire spin. I got on the highway and drive 3 exits to work. When I pulled in the parking lot as soon as I stopped the car the burnt clutch smell appeared and was very strong. I was pi$sed becuase I never auxo X, track, or race my car. I have one short moment of tire spin and my clutch doesnt seem like it can hold up at all.

Can somone explain to me exactly what caused my clutch to burn, I wasnt riding it or slipping it, my foot was off it completely except when I shifted.

Also would I still get this if I invested in an aftermarket clutch and maybe flywheel? Do aftermarket clutches have better heat resistance? Will I be able to do some spirited driving once in a while without the fear of my car stinking for 3 days. (yes the smell is still vaguely in my car). Im not an expert on this stuff so if somone could recommend the most streetable aftermarket clutch that will feel the closest to stock and will be the most friendly for traffic, that would be awsom.

Matt

Old 11-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
The most popular clutch is the JWT Clutch. It has a higher clamping force than the stock. Some people keep the stock flywheel instead of getting the JWT Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch combo to reduce chatter, even though most people say the chatter is very minimal. The lighter flywheel revs almost like a bike, and is very sweet

Old 11-15-2005, 09:55 PM
^+1 I've had mine in for almost a week and I LOVE IT!! Much better in traffic, pedal lets out at the floor not at the top anymore. I can't say enough good things about the JWT set up. Flywheel makes minimal noise that you usually don't hear inside the car, other than at low RPM's. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2005, 10:11 PM
► Matt ◄
Originally Posted by ScottR
^+1 I've had mine in for almost a week and I LOVE IT!! Much better in traffic, pedal lets out at the floor not at the top anymore. I can't say enough good things about the JWT set up. Flywheel makes minimal noise that you usually don't hear inside the car, other than at low RPM's. Good luck!
What I really want to know is how does it hold up when you do some spirited driving. If I did what I described above will I get the same smell I experienced?

Old 11-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by IS300TOG35
What I really want to know is how does it hold up when you do some spirited driving. If I did what I described above will I get the same smell I experienced?
i had the same smell on my car.. same as u i dont beat on it.. i was going into a parking lot it was a hill i was riding the clutch cause some idiot wanted to tailgait me so i had to stop the car from rolling.. when i got up to park i smelled the burning clutch. i took it to the dealer and they said that the clutch is in good condition.. i would like to know if the stock clutch sucks... i have had other cars and i ride the clutch and it doesnt smell.. nobody has been able to help with this prob...

Old 11-15-2005, 11:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your clutch is still getting burnt up if you're beating the crap out of it like you were doing.. the only clutch that can take that type of beating all day is the ATS carbon clutch.. But they are a pain to drive daily.

Even if you're picking up a better clutch, if you're doing what you do constantly your tranny will go before your clutch lol. A clutch is meant to wear down... the smell is the lesser of your worries!

Get the JWT clutch... best bang for the buck. I personally don't like the feel of the lightened flywheels since they are soo annoyingly loud with chatter (sounds like a box of tools in your back seat)

Last edited by Down_Shift; 11-15-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:19 PM
► Matt ◄
Originally Posted by Down_Shift
Your clutch is still getting burnt up if you're beating the crap out of it like you were doin

Even if you're picking up a better clutch, if you're doing what you do constantly your tranny will go before your clutch lol.
Matt, how does spinning my tires through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, constitute as beating the crap out of it? And how is my tranny going to go from that? I didnt drop the clutch, I didnt slip it, the only thing different was my tires did not have traction. What is going on with my clutch when my tires are spinning on wet pavement that I dont know about. I see that its bad for it, but I dont understand why and Id really appreciate an explanation.

Matt

Old 11-16-2005, 12:53 AM
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Matt,
I had the same thing happen to me...EXACT same thing. I just decided to have a little fun in the rain andI accidentally spun the tires into 5th gear. The burning clutch smell lasted a few weeks. It finally went away and I haven't smelled any burning smell since.
Don't worry, man. It will go away and you will be happy once again.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:51 AM
Even though you didn't drop the clutch you still might have burned off a bit as you went through the gears. The stock clutch isn't that bad. The JWT is better. I wouldn't change it until it's worn out... and I'm sure your clutch isn't worn out. What you might have done is heated up the pressure plate. From what I have been told is that as your clutch wears and thus slips more causing the pressure plate to heat up affecting the tines (spelling?) on it. This will cause your pedal to feel a lot harder. It is hard to notice over time, but a new clutch will feel a lot softer.

Having said that.... I've driven G's and Z's with excedy carbon clutches... WHOA... what a difference. BUT... they are a bit harder to drive in traffic. Oddly enough the carbon slips a bit when it's cold. But once everything heats up it's awsome. BUT.... $$$$$$

I can't wait till my stock clutch wears out.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm surprised no one has mentioned it... but, are u sure it was your clutch?? u got winter tires on (which are already soft rubber) and u were spinning your wheels all the way up. it's still fairly warm outside ... u probably burned the crap out of those baby's. are u sure that wasn't what u were smelling as opposed to the clutch? in all honesty i wouldn't even do what u did with the winter's. once that white stuff comes down i wanna make sure my tires are up to the task at hand.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:34 AM
► Matt ◄
Originally Posted by giddyup69
i'm surprised no one has mentioned it... but, are u sure it was your clutch?? u got winter tires on (which are already soft rubber) and u were spinning your wheels all the way up. it's still fairly warm outside ... u probably burned the crap out of those baby's. are u sure that wasn't what u were smelling as opposed to the clutch? in all honesty i wouldn't even do what u did with the winter's. once that white stuff comes down i wanna make sure my tires are up to the task at hand.
its my third season on them and ive never rotated them. The rear inside is worn down a bit and this is the last season ill have them. Im going to buy a new set next winter. I also dont drive it when its really snowing, basically when the snow falls I get home so im driving in maybe 1inch at most. I get rides or use other ppl s cars until the roads get better. Oh and it was 38 degrees that morning. And last note, I know what the clutch smells like, thats a odor you don't mistake.

Matt