K&N drop in filter

Do i need to oil it for the first time?

Old 11-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
They come pre-oiled.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Alumni****
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope. No need to oil it. Just clean it and re-oil it with the K&N kit every couple thousand miles.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Did you already order/receive your K&N?

If not.. you might want to consider the Amsoil EA Nanofiber Drop-In Air filter instead. It's cheaper than a K&N and is supposed to offer the same airflow but much much MUCH better air filtration efficiency. K&N Filters let a ton of dirt though. My Synthetic oil is disgustingly dirty after 3K miles, since switching to the K&N.

I'm going to put an Amsoil one on my car in spring once I put it back on the road. The EA nanofiber filters also don't use oil, so there's no chance of it screwing up any sensors in your car due to over-oiling.

To answer your question though.. the K&N's come pre-oiled. You only need to oil them once you take them out and clean them.

Last edited by partyman66; 11-29-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:06 PM
D87
Originally Posted by partyman66

If not.. you might want to consider the Amsoil EA Nanofiber Drop-In Air filter instead. It's cheaper than a K&N and is supposed to offer the same airflow but much much MUCH better air filtration efficiency. K&N Filters let a ton of dirt though. My Synthetic oil is disgustingly dirty after 3K miles, since switching to the K&N.

I'm going to put an Amsoil one on my car in spring once I put it back on the road. The EA nanofiber filters also don't use oil, so there's no chance of it screwing up any sensors in your car due to over-oiling.

To answer your question though.. the K&N's come pre-oiled. You only need to oil them once you take them out and clean them.
Hey PartyMan (or anyone else who uses this), please let us know the results of the Amsoil. I'm very interested in getting one of these instead of the K&N.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66

partyman66,

Thank you for that bit of info. I just did a search on the new Amsoil filter via Google . . . I like it! A bit more of reading and I am probably going to get one. I have been using a K&N and truth be told, I like the fact that with the Amsoil . . . It filters better and the clean up process is easier and less likely to mess up the MAF sensor.

Last edited by Andy2434; 11-29-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the info guys!!! I'll look into that other filter. Thanks

Old 11-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 11-30-2005, 12:47 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteonWheat
The filter that is reviewed on the bobistheoilguy.com site above is actually a different filter. That article is testing the Amsoil Gauze-Oil wetted filter.

They people at Amsoil just recently released a new line of filters called Amsoil EA Nanofiber filters, and those are the ones that I was suggesting. They are a dry(non-oil) type filter, and you clean it by removing it from the vehicle and using a vacuum cleaner to suck the dirt out from the outward facing(dirty) side.

There is no application of water involved in the process of cleaning the EA Nanofilber filter... If I remember correctly, from what I read on their site.

The part number for the exact filter for a G35 that I am talking about is Amsoil EAA74.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/Se...KeyWords=EAA74

I made a post about it on a Z forum and a few guys who had them chimed in and said that they loved the EA Nanofiber filters.... so I'm definitely getting one come spring.

Supposedly, the aftermarket air-filter business is moving away from oil-wetted filters due to their poor filtration efficiency and tendency of the oil to screw up MAF sensors.