G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

300 hp rw drive cars SUCK in the snow!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't putting down the G... and I'm not retarded lol. I grew up where we have had to cancel the 4th of July parade because of SNOW... I'm not new to snow, and have drivin in it ALL my life.

I always mock people who can't drive in snow and drive like 5 miles an hour on a straightaway in a heavy frost.

But this was different. All summer people have been asking me what I was going to do when it snowed this winter but I just kind of laughed it off and said "drive like I always do".... and had just decided to keep my summer tires on and see if I could manage without getting winter tires on like I have on my other cars.

However, 2 days ago when we had our first heavy snow, I drove slowly to the stop sign on packed snow right beside my house and absolutely COULD NOT move... I actually slid sideways into the curb. I actually laughed my butt off. The funny thing is I can drive in reverse perfectly fine so I just backed right back into my parking lot. I think if they let you drive around town in reverse I would do ok hehe... I've drivin plenty of both rw drive and fw drive cars and you can't tell me that rw drive cars do better in the snow than front wheel drive.

However, overall, I blame the tires and will probably pick up some new snow tires tomorrow... provided I can make it into town. It's snowed 5 fresh inches in the last 3 hours and is still snowing like crazy outside right now.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by perfectmax
This is why I just bought a 1994 toyota 4runner and a set of M/T's with 31 10.5 15" tires!!! Yeaaa baby, bring the snow!
Hard packed snow/ice and MT's = hell!! I wouldn't wish MT's on anyone in anything cold...

Albert

Old 12-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by speedgeek
Dear G35Driver Admin, Can we post this on the home page for the next four months

ROFL

Good advice. Probably was meant to be helpful but just struck me as too funny. Subtle as a hammer on the head.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedgeek
Dear G35Driver Admin, Can we post this on the home page for the next four months

ROFLMFAO... a picture is worth a thousand insults!

Old 12-01-2005, 08:39 AM
I live in the worst city in Canada when it comes to winter. I put on a set of of Yokohama Ice Guards on my stock 18s last week and now i ride the G like its summer. These Yoko IceGuards are AWESOME. If it snows where you live, I suggest you get yourselves a set of these lifesavers.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:19 PM
TireRack article - the numbers don't lie

Potenzas vs. Blizzaks. Read about it...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/..._tire_type.jsp

Blizzaks on ice can accelerate to 60' in 4.5 seconds,
All-Seasons 6.6 seconds,
Potenza summers take 8.3 seconds!!!

Which one would you rather be driving with in snow and ice? I just put blizzaks on my G35 - and am ready for the first real snow.

Previously - I've had Dunlop Winter Sports on a '99 RWD BMW 328i -- they are life-savers. All the safety-electronics in the world are worthless without traction.

Last edited by slate05g35; 12-01-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Strider_GTS
I wasn't putting down the G... and I'm not retarded lol. I grew up where we have had to cancel the 4th of July parade because of SNOW... I'm not new to snow, and have drivin in it ALL my life.

I always mock people who can't drive in snow and drive like 5 miles an hour on a straightaway in a heavy frost.

But this was different. All summer people have been asking me what I was going to do when it snowed this winter but I just kind of laughed it off and said "drive like I always do".... and had just decided to keep my summer tires on and see if I could manage without getting winter tires on like I have on my other cars.

However, 2 days ago when we had our first heavy snow, I drove slowly to the stop sign on packed snow right beside my house and absolutely COULD NOT move... I actually slid sideways into the curb. I actually laughed my butt off. The funny thing is I can drive in reverse perfectly fine so I just backed right back into my parking lot. I think if they let you drive around town in reverse I would do ok hehe... I've drivin plenty of both rw drive and fw drive cars and you can't tell me that rw drive cars do better in the snow than front wheel drive.

However, overall, I blame the tires and will probably pick up some new snow tires tomorrow... provided I can make it into town. It's snowed 5 fresh inches in the last 3 hours and is still snowing like crazy outside right now.
No, the tires are not to blame "overall", the tires are *completly* to blame.

No offense, but it makes little difference how many winters you have driven in before. The entire point here is that you have been driving on *all season* tires in the past, and now on your new car you have *summer performance* tires on. The point here is that *any* car anywhere at all that has summer performance tires on (fwd, rwd, awd, 4wd, whatever) would be completly unsafe to drive in snow | sleet | ice.

Summer performance tires are designed to move water right out of the way to get to the grippy pavement, which is great for dry and wet conditions. Now, when you start slinging snow out of the way, only to get to more snow, well, where is your traction supposed to come from? Snow tires pack in the snow (see the deep treads), and that is why they can move you 10000x better through the snow.

I say chalk it up as a lesson learned, and be thankful you didnt crack up your G like many others have (doing the same exact thing, so dont feel bad).

Last edited by madchef; 12-01-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by gettaluvr
put on snow tires it will be better, but still sucks, even civic can drive faster then me in snow.
I'm guessing the Civic is faster in the snow due to the front wheel drive and thinner tires. You have to ask yourself though, which is more fun to drive?

I just put Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's on my G Coupe and it's a night/day difference. My ride smokes through the snow now! I also happen to enjoy the slight squirreliness (is that a word?) of a RWD car in snow. Why drive a car like the G35c/s/x if you don't enjoy the ride?

Think the G's 54/46% weight distribution helps with traction at the rear wheels? I've driven a heavier RWD Lincoln Mark VII LSC w/ Blizzaks that had worse traction.

~Ringer

Old 12-02-2005, 04:44 AM
I have like 3 friends in various civics and it's true that they do actually preform quite well in the snow... nearly as well as my Celica GTS did, and for the last week I've taken quite a bit of crap from them as I ride in their passenger seats around town... but I take consolation in reminding them about the hours staring at my tail-lights through the mountain twisties here in Oregon. It's one of the few moments where I'll let their little 1.4 liter egos have a one-up on me... I just bite my tounge and wait for spring.

Update:
We got 10 inches of snow last night and are forcast to have another 10 tonight. I'm not talking about few inches a year like most of you have to deal with. Ideally I would just go buy an XTerra or some other snow-fairing vehicle, but insurance prices would eat me alive at this point in time. The lines at Les Shwab start at 630 in the morning and if you aren't in there before 7:30 you won't get your snow tires on that day. It looks like I'll be bumming rides for the next week or two.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure why you keep assuming we're not dealing with the same amount of snow so we don't understand your situation. Check the locations on some of the people who have posted in this thread. Toronto, Calgary....Winnipeg! I drove my G coupe through the Sierra's last year on a weekend where they got 26 inches of snow. I drive my sedan here and we get plenty of snow. You just need winter tires. Next year you'll know to go in advance.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Right on
I'm driving with my PSports only when there is NO snow on the roads and If I get on the car, it slips a bit because of the tires staying cold.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
The lines at Les Shwab start at 630 in the morning and if you aren't in there before 7:30 you won't get your snow tires on that day. It looks like I'll be bumming rides for the next week or two.
If you buy a set of snow tires + wheel from tire rack, you can have them shipped directly to a local "recommended" installer (you pick). I'm sure there are plenty of places that will install them for you. Did you already purchase them?

Old 12-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Wow... I just can't go anywhere!

I'm riding around in my friend's cars until the snow melts basically. This car is just useless! It's horrible. I REALLY should have gotten some snow tires put on, though I think most of the problem is the fact that the car is RW drive.

Most of your problems are from the "high performance summer tires" these tires were never made for snow. Granted a RWD car is not as good as a FWD car but a RWD car can normally be driven without a whole lot of trouble in snow 4 to 6" deep if equiped with the correct tires. Many people here have driven their G's in the snow with winter tires and have had few problems.

300 hp really doesn't mean anytning, it how you apply the power that counts.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by madchef
Seems like this is the first experience with summer performance tires for a lot of owners.

I think Infiniti should be at the very least telling these people that the tires are useless in the snow. I remember that the M3 CSL tires were so close to slicks, that you had to sign a waiver saying you knew not to drive in any bad conditions

Actually thats the first thing the saleman told me when I looked at the car (I bought min this january). He said "I hope you don't plan to drive this car in the snow with these tires becuase it won't go anywhere"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 300 hp rw drive cars SUCK in the snow!