G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

300 hp rw drive cars SUCK in the snow!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 05:04 PM
G SQUAD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DO NOT DRIVE YOUR G IN THE SNOW WITH "SUMMER" PERFORMANCE TIRES!!!!

I guess it's that time of year again and I really hope this hits home to the newbies with the G35 (non AWD guys). You WILL NOT be able to drive in the snow. Much less move.

VDC won't help if you don't have traction on your tires...

Get a dedicated set of 17" rims/snow tires, and you're all set. Bear in mind that even though you have snow tires, our cars are STILL RWD and prone to "fishtail" if you gas it hard.

However, it is fun to do donuts with snow tires with VDC off in the winter time.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by akrus
Hard packed snow/ice and MT's = hell!! I wouldn't wish MT's on anyone in anything cold...

Albert

M/T rims with PJ tires.... Should have no problem in the snow!

Old 12-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by perfectmax
M/T rims with PJ tires.... Should have no problem in the snow!
Ahh, I was thinking M/T = mud tire, wasn't thinking Mickey Thompson. PJ = Pirelli Jones???

Albert

Old 12-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by madchef
I think Infiniti should be at the very least telling these people that the tires are useless in the snow. I remember that the M3 CSL tires were so close to slicks, that you had to sign a waiver saying you knew not to drive in any bad conditions
I don't get why this would be Infiniti's issue.

Hey, folks - BIG NEWS!! SNOW IS SLIPPERY AND ICE IS WORSE! Summer tires meant to maximize rubber on the road in ideal conditions DON'T WORK IN THE THE SLIPPERY STUFF! If you don't quite get that then how in God's name were you smart enough to pass the drivers test required to get a license?

This is happening so often now these guys have to be trolls...

Old 12-06-2005, 12:59 PM
I was just going to post about this topics because I also got my first chance to drive this car on snow since I got it 2 weeks ago. This was a hudge problem for me when i wanted to buy the G35 cause I was scared how a 280hp RWD car would do on snow, and I can't afford a winter beater so I need to use it all year long. I had a 00 Eclipse GT before and after driving this car on snow i think it's even better than the eclipse was even though it's RWD. Granted you don't drive like an idiot, you can definitely get to where you're going perfectly fine with snow on the road. I have the 17 in all season tires on mine and that makes a hudge difference, but as everybody said before, summer tires are for summer driving.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Byte_Me
I don't get why this would be Infiniti's issue.

Hey, folks - BIG NEWS!! SNOW IS SLIPPERY AND ICE IS WORSE! Summer tires meant to maximize rubber on the road in ideal conditions DON'T WORK IN THE THE SLIPPERY STUFF! If you don't quite get that then how in God's name were you smart enough to pass the drivers test required to get a license?
Please, take the lame 'holier-than-thou' attitude elsewhere

It's not Infiniti's issue, but in this case a little effort would go a long long way.

I guarantee you that the majority of G35 owners (not just the ones who post online) know squat about the difference between this tire and that. And the dealer telling them that their tires are useless in snow would be shocking news to most.

Sometimees you have to think about what it might be like to be someone not as awesome as you. I don't know about you, but my first few cars weren't nearly nice enough to come optioned with summer performance tires, and my first experience with them was with this car. Now if I didn't know anything about cars and tires, how would I have known about it? For me, I was just lucky that I knew snow tires were a must.

Originally Posted by Byte_Me
This is happening so often now these guys have to be trolls...

Old 12-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Obsessive Owner
They are not the best cars in the snow, but will perform for basic driving with a good set of snow tires. I use the 17" OEM wheels and tires for winter and I do alright. These tires are All season tires too, not even snow tires. With a good tire package and careful driving there is no reason the G wont work in the snow.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Obsessive Owner
Originally Posted by Babiephat
However, it is fun to do donuts with snow tires with VDC off in the winter time.
haha +1!! Really fun!

Old 12-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Pivo
I was just going to post about this topics because I also got my first chance to drive this car on snow since I got it 2 weeks ago. This was a hudge problem for me when i wanted to buy the G35 cause I was scared how a 280hp RWD car would do on snow, and I can't afford a winter beater so I need to use it all year long. I had a 00 Eclipse GT before and after driving this car on snow i think it's even better than the eclipse was even though it's RWD. Granted you don't drive like an idiot, you can definitely get to where you're going perfectly fine with snow on the road. I have the 17 in all season tires on mine and that makes a hudge difference, but as everybody said before, summer tires are for summer driving.
So the "All Seasons" are working for you? How much snow are you getting...where are you? You must have a body in the trunk too. I am a little hesitant to drive with the all seasons....but might try it with two 45lb dumbbells in the trunk.