Old 12-19-2002, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe Cat-Back Exhaust

Check the classifieds...

License Plate: "BMR BTR"

Old 12-19-2002, 05:44 PM
Re: G35 Coupe Cat-Back Exhaust

I saw it, but what I didn't see was a before and after dyno test chart to show what the effect was on horsepower and torque across the entire RPM range. For almost a grand, I'd want to have some proof that my money was being well spent and not hurting performance in some part of the rpm range or just getting a very small peak gain at one spot, etc. etc.

Old 12-19-2002, 05:44 PM

Would you please post the dyno results...

Phil Petracca

Old 12-19-2002, 05:47 PM

I will have the complete results by early next week. The 350Z had an increase of 8.2 HP & 8.5 Lbs/torque @ 6200 RPM at the wheels. I suspect the coupe will be about the same.

Old 12-20-2002, 08:48 AM

Ok then you haven't dyno'd the G35 yet, and you are talking peak HP, not across the entire band as an average. You are also above the magic $100/HP price point too. Anything over $100 per gained HP is not a "good deal" in my book, at least not as a performance buy, maybe cosmetic, but not performance.

As an example, a supercharger for my car runs about $6600 installed, but boosts HP over 120 HP gain, that's a little over $50/HP.

A high flow intake for $400 boosts HP 7-9 HP, again about $50/HP.

Aftermarket items vary, but any time you go over the $100/HP mark I think you are the "pricey" end of the spectrum. Just my opinion, others may disagree.

I will say that as far as gaining horsepower goes from replacing the cat-back exhaust, your results are in line with more recent cars and gains of anywhere from 5-12HP on average. Gone are the days where slapping a different muffler on or pipe got you 20-30HP gain, manufacturers have gotten much better at tuning their exhausts from the factory and there isn't a lot of HP to be gained in that area anymore, especially cat-back. Indeed many cat-back systems actually lose HP during much or all of the RPM range and are merely there for "looks", thus my original request for a dyno chart and no offense I always like to see independent charts as I have seen more than one after market vendor provide doctored dyno results, not saying that you are, just making a point that's all.

I suspect that if you toss a set of headers and high flow cats on a G35 you "might" get a 15-20HP gain, but you might also create ECU problems for the car and fail emission tests, especially in California. Serious horsepower gains are going to require a turbo or supercharger plain and simple.

Old 12-20-2002, 09:35 AM

Well you need to realize one thing, this is a "custom" exhaust which isn't mass produced, yet. For a custom fabricated piece a $900.00 cost isn't bad, not to mention the dyno test are based on results at the rear wheels, not the flywheel, which all the accessories you mentioned most likely are; which are also estimates - not facts. I would be VERY surprised if a supercharger will give you a 120 HP increase, you looking more at 85-95 HP (30%-35%), not to say $6,600 is a down payment on a house-not a price for an automotive accessory. Everyone I have spoke to that has a supercharger say they aren't even worth the money, they all wish they would have got a turbo kit instead.

It's hard to believe anyone buys an exhaust for HP increase, they are more for sound, which this unit has plenty of. If you would like you can hear a sound clip at:
http://www.bbtriflo.com/av/350z.html

This is exactly what the exhaust I offer sounds like. Now when it comes to relying more on the basic look of your vehicle to stand out in traffic this will help. Now don't get me wrong the G35C is the best looking vehicle out there right now - hands down, but there is a demand out there for exhaust systems. We're not trying to rip anyone off by asking $900.00 it's our cost factor that is dictating this price, we are still way below the normal mark-up of the industry standard.
Check out the clip and let me know what you think...
-Joe

Old 12-20-2002, 10:12 AM

True, custom will cost more than mass produced and the exhaust does look nice. BTW, it looks like it is all stainless, is the factory piece all stainless as well? If so, that might be a selling point right there, if the factory unit is going to rust then stainless buys you lifetime basically.

I checked out the sound, seemed OK to me, a bit of a burble, and always hard to tell from an audio clip vs. in person. I tend to favor a bit different tone, but that's just me. The tone I favor is more along the lines of:

http://www.smiley.net/boxster/sevideo.htm

lower, gutteral... not brash or screaming...

As for turbo or supercharger it depends on the engine and the car, it is a good fit for some, not for others, and Turbos usually set you back even more than superchargers, as an example the $6600 SC kit for my car turns into $22,000 for a TT kit, now that's an even bigger downpayment on a house...

Old 12-20-2002, 11:18 AM

Don't ever underestimate superchargers as compared to trubos. Especially in certain types of engines. Superchargers have one of the best things going for them because there is no "lag" time before the boost. I have heard TONS of people who have been very unhappy with turbo systems while very happy with their supercharged systems. My roomates '01 Type R is a perfect example. He installed a JAckson Racing supercharger for under 4k. Extremely happy with it, while many people have very unsuccsesful attempts to turbo a 1.8 honda engine.

Andrew

2003 coupe 6MT blue premium aero (on order)

Old 12-23-2002, 05:55 PM

First of all 1K for B&B is not really all that bad. I have B&B on my 300ZX and I love it. B&B is higher end stuff and is tuned for sound as well as power.

I will probably upgrade to this exhaust when I get over 3K miles on my car. I currently only have 293 miles but I a modaholic.

<>
03 G35C Prem/Nav/Performance/5AT
90 300ZX-TT HKS2835s and built motor.