G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Discoloration - Yellowing of Ivory Pearl

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discoloration - Yellowing of Ivory Pearl

I am taking my car in this week to have the dealer look at my front and rear bumper. Neither match the rest of the car... Anyone else having this problem of yellowing of the bumpers?

Also the rubber strip along the bottom of the door exterior is impossible to get clean...

Rxkeven

G35 Coupe / Premium / Nav
Ivory Pearl / Willow Leather
SSR GT3 19"s w/ Bridgestone SO-3

Old 08-04-2003, 01:03 PM
Re: Discoloration - Yellowing of Ivory Pearl

well, i've had my G for 3 months now... i wash it twice a week & wax w/zymol... no problems with the discoloring (i have Ivory Perl too), still looks flawless.

however, i was just thinking the same thing about the trim piece along the door. i washed the car last night & was scrubbing my A$$ off trying to get that part clean, you're right, the best is i can get it is a little off-white, never going to be clean...if your dealer has a fix, please pass it on!

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by jeffjcalweb on 08/04/03 10:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-04-2003, 01:16 PM

I haven' had any discoloration problems with the pearl, but did have problems with dirt on the side. Get the splash guards! I did they really accentuate and finish the car i feel and keep down on dirt a lot. The rear guards finish off the back end and give the car a more massive and aggressive stance, not over done either they look factory. I installed them myself just a little drilling is all to be done totally worth it.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:52 PM

I have had my Coupe for about 9 months now and I have that discoloration. I don;t know what to do about it, or if the dealer will/can do anything about it. If they repaint it, it will be crap and will crak if you ever touch it, and if they replace it, it will just yellow again.

As for the strip along the bottom of the door, I finally found something to clean it. Use foaming engine cleaner, then rub hard with a rag, comes clean!.

Old 08-04-2003, 05:26 PM

It's not discoloration you see.........it's color matching that's the problem. The pearl white is a very tough color to match......in addition to that, the same paint code may actually come out different on different material trim (plastic bumpers, plastic trims, steel body panels, etc.). It's a problem that's endemic to pearl white.............I doubt there's anything the dealer could do for you.......it's worth a try though.

Old 08-04-2003, 05:26 PM

Most likely the dealer will just tell you it's like that.

Old 08-04-2003, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my Laser Red for about 7 months and though there has been no issue with discoloration, **EXCEPT**. That stupid piece of plastic running along the bottom door edge. I can't ever seem get that piece clean. It never seems to look at RED as the rest of the car, always kinda dingey. Ideas?

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 08-05-2003, 01:54 PM

Well that's just great...... something to look forward to.

What piece are you guys talking about that is hard to clean?

http://www.eastcoastbmw.net

Old 08-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was just wondering. Was the difference in the color between the bumper and the body noticed when the car was new? or did it progress over time? I tend to believe it was from the factory this way. As stated from a previous post, this color as well as some other colors, show up as a different shade when applied to the bumpers which are plastic. It may be the exact same paint that is applied, but it shows differently because of the material it is applied to. If you look at some other makes you will notice it too. I'm talking about the original factory paint job. As far as earlier Nissan and Infiniti paint (5-10 years ago) they used a different formula and the paint with the pearl finish had its problems. The paint today is far superior.

Old 08-06-2003, 05:13 AM

It came like that from the manufacturer..........it's something you just missed when you're at the dealer. I have a Pearl White Sedan and that was the first thing I noticed, but didn't really bring it up bc I knew of that problem beforehand. Just take a look at other cars now......you'll actually notice that many cars have slightly mismatching bumpers