G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

whats louder Down pipe with resonator OR Headers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really not looking to see how much gain is achieved with aftermarket headers or any part of the exhaust whatsoever. I mean whats the point in spending so much money on say the Borla exhaust for a measly 10 or so HP. If im gonna spend money on exhaust, i want it to sound like i did! With that said, my B&B sounds too good to be changed drastically by headers. I am assuming headers will give it a louder sound just wish i knew how much.

I DONT WANT IT TO SOUND REDICULOUS WHEN ITS IDLING

anyway, if anyone knows, please post. RX

Last edited by imRACERX; 01-03-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
No one sells mid-pipes alone, you might as well get a new exhaust system. If you want the loudest sound...buy high-flows and the Injen CAI and that's all. Y-pipe's actually smooth out and somewhat lower the exhaust sound, but provide a bit better performance over the stock y.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
No one sells mid-pipes alone, you might as well get a new exhaust system. If you want the loudest sound...buy high-flows and the Injen CAI and that's all. Y-pipe's actually smooth out and somewhat lower the exhaust sound, but provide a bit better performance over the stock y.
i currently have the B&B with the Injen CAI. Are you saying that adding a Y-Piepe will actually lower the sound? I can't believe that! doesnt the Y-pipe bypass the cats? RX

Old 01-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by imRACERX
i currently have the B&B with the Injen CAI. Are you saying that adding a Y-Piepe will actually lower the sound? I can't believe that! doesnt the Y-pipe bypass the cats? RX
Listen, Im not trying to be mean but youre being kinda thickheaded...

FROM THE MOTOR, the exhaust gases move into the headers, aka, the exhaust manifolds, from there, the gases travel into the catalytic converters, which from there the gases travel to the y-pipe, the y-pipe merges into ONE pipe, which then connects to the mid-pipe, and from the mid-pipe, the gases travel into the muffler, and it exits out the tips.

The most restrictive part of the coupe exhaust are the catalytic converters. It has been reported by many ppl that with an aftermarket y-pipe, the exhaust flow is much smoother but also makes the sound less louder.

The moral of the story is, if you want louderness, get Hi-Flow cats, Crawfords are most preferred. If you want an even LOUDER exhaust sound, get headers. Not only will the exhaust sound get much louder, but it improves performance with a big gain. Im done posting on this thread.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Listen, Im not trying to be mean but youre being kinda thickheaded...

FROM THE MOTOR, the exhaust gases move into the headers, aka, the exhaust manifolds, from there, the gases travel into the catalytic converters, which from there the gases travel to the y-pipe, the y-pipe merges into ONE pipe, which then connects to the mid-pipe, and from the mid-pipe, the gases travel into the muffler, and it exits out the tips.

The most restrictive part of the coupe exhaust are the catalytic converters. It has been reported by many ppl that with an aftermarket y-pipe, the exhaust flow is much smoother but also makes the sound less louder.

The moral of the story is, if you want louderness, get Hi-Flow cats, Crawfords are most preferred. If you want an even LOUDER exhaust sound, get headers. Not only will the exhaust sound get much louder, but it improves performance with a big gain. Im done posting on this thread.
Thickheaded? well i guess i deserve that. But i have owened 3 stangs and if you are familiar with that car you would know that the H-pipe carries the cats as i assumed did the y-pipe for the G. In any case no need to patranize with the whole gas flow explanation. a pic of the underbody would have sufficed. point taken and thread closed! RX