G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I drove my G through 2 feet of water

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove my G through 2 feet of water

We had alot of rain here in MA a couple days ago... streets were so flooded and I left early to go home from work and it was still flooded.

There was 2 feet of water in some areas like exits before getting on the freeway, many inner roads in the city and I had no choice but to drive through them..

Do you guys think it's smarter to drive through them fast or slow?.. I kinda tried to speed by them and the water was up past by bumper.. I maybe just exaggerating 2 feet but it was big big puddles.. very deep they even touched bumpers on alot of SUV's and trucks I saw.

When I drove by them... steam starting coming out under my car and it smelled bad... My car drives fine however it's been about 2-3 days since then.

Sorry I put my G through that.. Imagine if I had a CAI

Old 01-20-2006, 09:28 AM
actually i'm wondering about the same thing.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:50 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Steer clear of any deep water especially if you've got an aftermarket intake.
If you hydraulic your engine, a new one will be expensive.

If you just can't avoid the water, go slowly, very slowly.
You don't want to douse the exhaust, engine, or wiring in water.

C.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
I'd worry about the ill-effects of the immediate contact of cool water on a hot engine block or header/exhaust plumbing. Wouldnt want to crack something by suddenly chilling it! And don't tell me it can't happen!

I think you're essentially safe from hydro-locking the engine if the intake is out of harms way.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:17 AM
The steam is coming from the brakes and exhaust. Its just water evaporating. Its not a good idea to drive through deep water (2feet !?) at all in a car this low. You may have had to goto work, but would it really be worth $5g+ if you hydrolocked your engine?

To drive slow or fast? It really depends on your situation. If you drive slow you can get an idea of how deep the water actually is; if its too deep you can back off. It also minimizes any water that would be spashed up on the car..

Driving fast can get you through deep water in an emergency. It minimizes any water seepage and going fast enough you can hydroplane some, but its risky because if its too deep you'll be "dead in the water"

Old 01-20-2006, 11:02 AM
THE BATMOBILE
its a damn good thing you dont have CAI

Old 01-20-2006, 11:43 AM
..speakin' of hydrolock

...be carefull...in 2000, some heavy rain produced some flash flooding down here in lake mary, fl. (just north of orlando)...b4 I knew it, water was 3/4 of a way up my entire wheel tire/diameter; in my '94, aem cold air equipped integra gs-r. And no, I did not have a relief valve on it at the time. My engine stopped!! ( and so did my heart )...to make a long story short, when I got my car to the dealer 2 days later on a flatbed (with water still pouring out of the exhaust, mind u). They called me with in 15 min and asked if I wanted the good news or the good news. After removing the plugs and cranking the engine, the tech saic water shot up about 30ft!!! I ended up needing a tranny fluid change and an oil change...that was it!!! So after I played lotto, and started to think about all those Mobil 1 oil changes, suddenly they didn't seem so expensive anymore...lucky me...

Old 01-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know exactly how you feel:

Old 01-20-2006, 01:44 PM
lol avs, dude your car look mad nice riding in that level of water. even i drove in 2 + feet of water. and ya steam did start coming up, and i backed up b4 it got any deeper. but wow, now i know what my G looks like when i was riding her deep. Now if only some1 got a shot/picture of a G at night with her xenon lights on in that deep of a puddle.

lol, im looking at that picture and wonder, what if it was a X that was driving in those puddles, could we switch to snow and it perform better or we just getting into deeper trouble?

Old 01-20-2006, 03:10 PM
I dont think I will do it. My car costs me alot of money and I am not going to destroy it. I'll prolly just find another way.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:03 PM
I did on some routes but a few of them I had no choice... that was almost exactly like what my G drove through and my car is black also!

Old 01-20-2006, 07:42 PM
While I was in Toronto last fall, I say a G35 parked at a Costco with water well above the bumbers (water kept rising after I took the enclosed picture). The guy pull down his windows to get in the car and drove away without problems. Therefore, I would be too worried.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:05 PM
GTT
G35 Twin Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTF .. This situation scaring me

Old 01-21-2006, 12:14 PM
I didn't have this happen to me, but during a big storm in my area, A Mustang gave me a good idea. I was in my Tacoma and didn't care about weather. That's what 4wd is for
Anyway, I decided to plow through the dip, which had a good foot and a half or so. The mustang behind me decided to follow suit, since I was the one pushing the water out of the way, he had an easy time getting through following through what's left of the water.
Just my $0.03 cents.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
Originally Posted by g35pat
The guy pulled down his windows to get in the car and drove away without problems.
Genius! Another reason why remote-actuated windows are a goldmine!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I drove my G through 2 feet of water