G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How to remove door speaker trim?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to remove door speaker trim?

My passenger door speaker trim (the aluminum-colored accent around the speaker) rattles VERY annoyingly over rough roads or loud music. Does anyone know how to remove it? I figure if I take it off I can figure out a way to put it on such that it doesn't rattle anymore.

It is for sure that part that is rattling... I've reached over and pressed on it and the noise instantly stops, which tells me this is a seperate piece of hard plastic rattling against the door plastic.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks! (long time reader, first time poster)

Old 01-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The speaker trim (the aluminum part) is part of the door panel. You'll have to remove the whole thing. There is 1 screw behind a cover where the door latch is next to the lock. There are 2 screws under the door handle trim. And the rest is just held on by a bunch of clips. There are small cutouts/indentations on the bottom of the door itself where you can use a screwdriver to pry at the clips. They just pop out. Just pull from the bottom outward and then lift up on the whole panel when the clips are out. There are a few DIYs on here about this. You can search if you'd like.

Old 01-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
see attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
door panel removal.pdf (71.0 KB, 180 views)
Old 01-25-2006, 03:42 PM
can someone show me how to take off the speaker cover for the right hand speaker in the backseat, one of my friends spilled coffee on it and like it shows really badly in the sun, any help would be appreciated!...thanks in advance

Old 01-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Question But...

Well but if the speaker trim is rattling against the door panel (which it is), then how would removing the whole panel help me? That silvery part definitely rattles against the door panel... that means it must be a seperate part. Is it glued in or something? Would removing the panel expose some way to remove the trim?

Taking off the door panel would probably get rid of my rattle but then it might make my doors look ugly

I tried the search but did not find any good answers.. most people decided it was their window or something in the door, which does not seem to be the case for me.

Any ideas for solving this one?

Old 01-25-2006, 06:40 PM
If you take off the panel then it will most likely expose how the speaker trim is attached (most likely by screws). Could it be the door panel rattling against the speaker behind the door panel?

Old 04-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Smile

I finally fixed this rattle. Wanted to say thanks to you guys who helped me out.

FYI the problem was the actual speaker grill, not the silver trim. The grill itself is a seperate piece of plastic from the door panel. It sits in front of the speaker and is held by what looks like a few metal clips around the edges. If seems like they put that in there, and then plastic welded (melted together) the assembly on top. So I found no way to disassemble/remove the grill assembly from the inside of the door.

What I did figure out is that the metal clips are not applying enough force to hold the plastic grill in place.. so it vibrates against the door panel and makes the horrid rattle. I used a flathead screwdriver to bend the clips towards the grill, so it applies more force, and I stuffed some small pieces of foam in the few bigger areas where there are no clips.

I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the electronics but I had enough slack that with a helper I was able to get the job done.

Silence.... sweeeet... I think my car has no rattles at all right now after this... yay! Not excited about what might start making noise next.. but for now I'm loving it.

Oh.. btw.. my door panel had quite a lot of styrofoam insulation in it.. pretty much filled all the gaps. Is that different from years previous to 06?

Thanks again!

Old 04-13-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm having the exact same problem. I'm going to give it a shot.

Originally Posted by mal_TX
I finally fixed this rattle. Wanted to say thanks to you guys who helped me out.

FYI the problem was the actual speaker grill, not the silver trim. The grill itself is a seperate piece of plastic from the door panel. It sits in front of the speaker and is held by what looks like a few metal clips around the edges. If seems like they put that in there, and then plastic welded (melted together) the assembly on top. So I found no way to disassemble/remove the grill assembly from the inside of the door.

What I did figure out is that the metal clips are not applying enough force to hold the plastic grill in place.. so it vibrates against the door panel and makes the horrid rattle. I used a flathead screwdriver to bend the clips towards the grill, so it applies more force, and I stuffed some small pieces of foam in the few bigger areas where there are no clips.

I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the electronics but I had enough slack that with a helper I was able to get the job done.

Silence.... sweeeet... I think my car has no rattles at all right now after this... yay! Not excited about what might start making noise next.. but for now I'm loving it.

Oh.. btw.. my door panel had quite a lot of styrofoam insulation in it.. pretty much filled all the gaps. Is that different from years previous to 06?

Thanks again!

Old 04-13-2006, 03:03 PM
G35driver Addict
Man I have rattles all over now, I noticed the rear view mirror, gauge cluster, driver side ac duct. some creaks somewhere, sunroof squeeks. for the driver side speaker grill i just pushed it in a little and it stopped for awhile. i just turn up the music and its all good.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:11 PM
you can use clear silicone to fill in the area around the center trim of that aluminum piece. Just add a bit of silicone in a 12-3-6-9 pattern. Makes sure you clean up an excess silicone, easy fix without having to remove the door panel whatsoever.