G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Xenon Question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 03:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Xenon Question...

the higher temperature bulbs (6k and up) don't give out as much light as, say a 4700k blub. It just makes it a bluer hue, but not more light. What makes BMW, mercedes, Audi's light so good is that they use a projector type housing, We use a reflector type housing. Do a search, and you can find out about all the differences between Projector/Reflector.

I would like to get a Projector type housing for my lights, but no one makes them, yet.

Anyway to answer yoru question in short, Our stock bulbs will just about give the most amount of light possible. The higher temp bulbs are just bluer, not brighter.

2003.5 6MT Coupe || Black/Graphite || Premium || Aero || Tint || Al. Pedals

Old 08-19-2003, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HB2 is same as H4 so you can use any H4 bulb of which there are hundreds probably. I replaced mine with H4 aftermarket and it works great.

I would go with a reputable aftermarket name - PIAA or Phillips or Osram. Stay away from the lesser known ones even if they seem like a great deal - they probably are not. PIAA is very popular but some have complained about burning out quick. Expensive too. Phillips Silverstar seems to work real well, and I went with Osram Silverstar (same company, but Osram is sold in Europe and doesn't have the blue tint so it is a bit yellower and brighter) and like them very much.

Some have used 80/100W w/ no problem. Do it at your own risk - if you burn out wiring, relay or fuse, you are SOL if you take it to a dealer because you didn't use the original wattage bulb and there is the potential (albeit I haven't heard of anyone personally have problems) for problems due to the higher wattage bulb pulling a greater load through the stock wiring. Personally, if you want to make even an aftermarket 55/60 watt bulb even brighter, go with the Catz Zeta system. Often times you can pick them up on E-bay for $100. I just installed one on the fog lights on the G35 and it works great. Definitely makes them brighter ( I compared one light w/ and one w/o in my garage) and now I am much happier with the lighting at night. It's as good as it will get from a reflector bulb - but I wish we had projectors and it would be even better.

Old 08-19-2003, 01:15 PM

I replaced the fog/Highs with Sylvania Silverstars. With the fog lights on, the light pattern is much improved over just the HIDs and the color is pretty close. Doesn't seem to bother oncoming drivers either.

Old 08-19-2003, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had my SilverStars for over a year. No issues, brighter than stock, and close to HID in colour.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 08-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also heard the PIAA Extreme White H4's are a close match to the HID's. I'll keep searching for projector housings for this car but I haven't found anything yet. That will be my next mod as that helps quite a bit with the light pattern and dispersion. Check the links below if you like. Peace.

http://www.piaa.com/h4bulbs.html

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 08-20-2003, 01:38 PM

I have another question, I have the HID option installed in my car and I'm not satisfied at all. Do you think I can just buy D2R bulb, rated 8000k and use the stock ballast?
e.g.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2428159423

Or If I can't do it, say I buy a new 8000k kit from Catz, can I just replace the stock ballast and stock d2r bulb to the Catz ballast and bulb using the STOCK wires?

Old 08-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd imagine that you could probably use the stock ballast. But chances are, other than the colour temp change, you're unlikely to see any benefits, and your light out-put may even go down!

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 08-23-2003, 12:07 AM

Hmmm, I don't quite agree with your opinion gordgee, since my friend already changed his (acura-TL) and it turns out very well. Guess I'll just wait and see the result then hehehe. Btw, I'm gonna use 6000k Philips D2R bulbs, matched with PIAA H4 7500k super plasma ^_^, also with PIAA plasma wedge bulbs of course. I'll post pics when I installed them.

Old 08-27-2003, 01:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was surprised because I do not do alot of night driving but the Xenon on our car really do not project alot of light forward. It really don't cover alot of forward distance. Infiniti should of used projector type, it would also look better, "the headlight housing, I mean".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Xenon Question...