G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Fuel Low Warning?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fuel Low Warning?

It's part of the simple pre-driving safety checklist.

1. Is my car still there?
2. Is it leaning to one side as if somebody's stolen a tire?
3. Is there any broken glass, as if something else might be stolen?
4. Did my wife mess with my seat controls?
5. Yup, it still starts.
6. Dang, it's hot in here. AC? Check.
7. Oh, look.. I've got a quarter tank left. Guess I'd better fill up tomorrow.
8. It's not moving... OH! Parking brake.

See? Simple as that.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 08-24-2003, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You better read your manual because my navi tells me that when I don't have gas, the car won't go. It also tells me to eat when I am hungary, and the best part about my navi is that it tells my wife to stop telling me where to turn.

Old 08-24-2003, 12:28 AM

I remember in highschool, my bestfriend had a Ford Probe and when she had low gas she would press a button and it would show her how many miles she could go with the gas she had left. I thought that was a great thing. Why is it that most cars don't have it nowadays?

G35C Desert Platinum/Willow Leather 5AT Aero Pack Premium Pack

Old 08-24-2003, 03:20 AM

im tempted to purposely run out of gas
seems like i can go forever with that light on.

-moooooo

Old 08-24-2003, 03:43 AM

At one point I had low wiper fluid and everytime I started the navi it would show the lower wiper fluid but never beeped. I have never seen it beep. But sounds like a good idea for it to beep. How about in the new version of the navi software instead of a beep it goes your running out of gas you better get to a damn station now.

Old 08-24-2003, 10:32 AM

How far have you gone? How many more miles could you say it's got left when the light turns on?

Old 08-24-2003, 01:32 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey ryo, My fuel level was low recently, so I let it go down low enough to trigger the low fuel warning screen on the Navi. As soon as that's triggered, the navi beebs once at you to draw attention to the screen. This happens at about 64 Km (40 miles) to empty on mine, and the warning screen displays a 'gas station' option and 'more info' option. Thought you'd like to know. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 08-24-2003, 01:43 PM

i think therse like 4 gallons left, if your not driving it hard you could probably pull off like 80 miles or more with the light on.

-moooooo

Old 08-25-2003, 02:20 PM

Can anyone find this out for me. I'm always running on empty.

Old 08-26-2003, 03:06 AM

Once the light goes on, you actually have a long time before it really runs out of fuel. The cars that we receive at the dealership (along with every other dealership) has enough gas for maybe 20 miles tops. And the arrow is past the very bottom line. So if you just hit the last fuel marker line, you still have a long ways to go. I was in a g35c manual and the engine sputtered on me while I was on my way to get gas for it. It ran completely out of fuel, thank goodness I was on a slope and the gas station was just a block down. I just cruised into the gas station with the engine off and the car in neutral while trying to steer without the help of powersteering. I remember I put in 19.9 gallons of gas. I think 20 is max??

Old 08-26-2003, 06:26 AM

I've got a 5AT w/ Nav. You're right, at 40 miles left, the nav screen tells you time to get fuel, and helps you locate the nearest gas station to your current location. And stupenal, not only are your words true regarding the yellow light indicator, but I believe the NAVI has some kind of similar trick up its sleeve.

Now, the rest of my long post...

I gotta say one thing, the "miles left" indicator is WAY OFF. When I say "way off", here's how I come to this conclusion. At fill up (COMPLETELY FULL TANK) and instantly getting on the freeway based on my average MPG usage (~19-20) it tells me I have 398 miles left. This is correct as a full tank (20gal) should yield me around 380-400 miles. Now somewhere along the line (by the way, I drive 80% freeway miles) the "miles left" indicator decides to short change me. What I mean is, for example, it tells me I have only 40 miles left, when I have only driven 302 miles (based on my trip odometer), and my MPG usage (based on the navi) is 19.8. Based on that tank and driving I should have had around 94 miles left.

Last week I decided to chance it... yellow light indicator comes on and the navi tells me I have 40 miles left shortly thereafter. I let the miles left (on the navi) run down to 0 while driving around a gas station (just in case). Miles left indicator at 12... 10... 8.. 7.... quickly to 4, then 2, ... When it gets to 0 it doesn't display 0, it displays an ****. I drove around some more (sweating bullets, of course). After about 3 miles of this, I figured it be time to fill up, so I pull into the gas station, fill up the tank. Filled up 17.89 gallons. Our tank is 20 gallons right? So that's where my other "54 miles" was.

I dunno if this is by design (the Navi really doesn't want you to run out of gas, so it tries to trick you on the "miles left" indicator), programming gone haywire, or just a bad fuel-tank capacity sensor to my navi (at low levels) or what???

By the way before anyone flames me and just tells me to fill up when it gets low.. I understand that and agree, I'm just trying to figure out why when it tells me I have no miles left in the tank, I actually have 2 gallons of fuel left.

Those of you w/ NAV and the mileage indicator, at fill up, how many miles did it say you had "left", what was the avg MPG reading at the time, and how many gallons did you end up putting into your tank?

-T

Old 08-26-2003, 09:50 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ggirl, My Dad had the trip computer in his Crown Vics. Told him how many miles to empty-- handy toy for sure.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
In our G's if you have the navi you have a similar feature with DTE--(distance to Empty), but without it you have to judge.
If no navi, then my suggestion is for you to watch for the low fuel light to come on then immediately fill the tank right to the top to see how many gallons were left at time of fill. With a 20 US gallon tank it easy to do the math. That'll give you some idea as to how far you have to go. Of course it'll depend on how briskly or conserving you drive as to how far you'll actually go.
My own G has gone more than 100 miles after the light has gone on but as you say every car is different. Best be safe.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]
As to why the the trip computers are not on most cars- must be cost. Most peeps would be indifferent to the option, and would rather save the few hundred $$$$.
Hope this helps
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 08-27-2003, 04:27 AM

Tmoney - that is the exact same thing that happens in my bmw. I drove around with a bunch of ---- in my computer display for several miles and even left my car to idle for 20 minutes. I still had another 1 gallon of gas left. I never really look at the computer on the g35c, I didnt even know that there was one.