G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need help on hood pins- Do I need them? What kind?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 05:16 PM
G RIDIN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on hood pins- Do I need them? What kind?

Hi

I just ordered the ViS Fuzion carbon Fiber hood, and I really don't want to put a hood pins because I don't want to drill holes into the body. But bunch of people told me that it is not safe to daily drive car with a carbonfiber hood that dosent have hood pins. I drive almost everyday and I almost go 70-90mph everyday.

Any help would be great.

Please admin don't move the thread, because I am looking for a quick respone.

Thanks

Old 02-27-2006, 06:11 PM
G RIDIN
bump

Old 02-27-2006, 06:17 PM
An Army of One...
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
On my last car I had an Erebuni Fiberglass hood. poor fittment and quality.. put hood pins in it becuase it fluttered at high speeds with the OEM latch.

Then I got a VIS Racing CF Evo Hood and it was great.. I drove around with it for almost 2 years.. no hood pins.

Ive also see alot of hoods fly up and smack the windshield at NOPI.. so I dont know, if you feel it is secure.. dont get them.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:34 PM
G RIDIN
Originally Posted by Real_G
On my last car I had an Erebuni Fiberglass hood. poor fittment and quality.. put hood pins in it becuase it fluttered at high speeds with the OEM latch.

Then I got a VIS Racing CF Evo Hood and it was great.. I drove around with it for almost 2 years.. no hood pins.

Ive also see alot of hoods fly up and smack the windshield at NOPI.. so I dont know, if you feel it is secure.. dont get them.

At what speeds did you drive the ViS?

My friend has a 400rwhp supra and he had his car up to 140mph+ a bunch of times and he has VIS w/o hood pins.

So I don't know. I might get it and order some hood pins and drive it around w/o hood pins for while and see what happens.

Mahdi

Old 02-27-2006, 06:59 PM
An Army of One...
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I went tops 120 on I95.

Order the hood install it and then see how it fits.. if it is secure.. tug on it..etc.. VIS is good quality..

Old 02-27-2006, 07:12 PM
G RIDIN
Originally Posted by Real_G
I went tops 120 on I95.

Order the hood install it and then see how it fits.. if it is secure.. tug on it..etc.. VIS is good quality..

thanks a lot for the help!!! What usally causes the hood to fly up? what brakes? is there any signs of pressure getting on the latch?

Thanks

Mahdi

Old 02-28-2006, 12:53 PM
G RIDIN
Bump

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2006, 04:05 PM
i posted this in another thread.. but the thing with CF hoods is that the metal latch is held to the CF hood by resin, versus a bolt on a regular aluminum hood

if subject to enough stress over time, the resin can separate, causing the hood to fly up. realistically, it probably wont come apart, but some people just don't wanna take the chance

to install hood pins i believe there is already a hole in the radiator support that you can use (at least on the 350z there is).... the only hole you would need to drill is in the new hood, which kinda sucks.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
From what I have been able to find out the VIS hoods are one of the best and don't need hood pins. It is always a good idea but that is why you spend the extra money and get the best one you can.
I have been wondering the same thing about my Stillen CF hood. It does flutter a bit at 110-130 but it seems very strong. I was thinking about adding some additional flexible resin around the latch support.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:02 PM
G RIDIN
How long have you have the Stillen CF hood??

The G only has one hole on one side on the raditor. I really don't want to drill holes in the car. Because I am going to be selling the car when the GTR comes out and I wan't to take everything off before I sell it.

Thanks

Mahdi

Old 02-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Grocery getter

I have only had the hood for a couple weeks.

If that is the case you should consider taking it to a body shop and seeing if they can make it a little stronger. Just my 2 cents, it might be fine.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:50 PM
G RIDIN
How would they make it stronger??

Again thanks a lot for the help!!

Mahdi

Old 02-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Polyester Pileup FTW!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a VIS carbon fiber hood w/o hood pins on my last car. I drove that sucker all over the place including out of state and never experienced any problems.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by MahdiG35
How would they make it stronger??

Again thanks a lot for the help!!

Mahdi

If you add additional resin to the latch reinforcement area it would make it stronger. Your concern is that the fiberglass/CF/Resin holding the latch in place might break and the latch would stay connected where the rest of the hood would fly up.
Like I said in the beginning the VIS is one of the best and you probably don't have anything to worry about. I am just making suggestions for extra security because I am going to do it on mine.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:08 PM
G RIDIN
Originally Posted by ttrank
If you add additional resin to the latch reinforcement area it would make it stronger. Your concern is that the fiberglass/CF/Resin holding the latch in place might break and the latch would stay connected where the rest of the hood would fly up.
Like I said in the beginning the VIS is one of the best and you probably don't have anything to worry about. I am just making suggestions for extra security because I am going to do it on mine.

I will deft. Do that when I get the hood! Thanks a lot man!!

Mahdi

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help on hood pins- Do I need them? What kind?