G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

rookie move - slid into curb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rookie move - slid into curb

Wet road, I turned off traction control wanting to have fun going around the last corner until home. Big mistake. Going around the corner I gave it a little gas - to get a little slide action. The car spun around 180 and slammed into the opposite side curb and over it. How stupid I am.
Doesnt look like much damage but still...
Please be careful with the G35 power.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:37 PM
That sucks. I had a similar experience when I had my G35 sedan. I had VDC off, the road was a little wet, and there was a crown to the road. Luckily I recovered the slide and didn't hit any curbs!! The G35 definitely kicks the tail out easy.

Now I keep VDC on if the road is wet/snowy, unless I'm in an empty, snow covered parking lot doing donuts!

Old 03-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
i mistakenly hit a curb a few days ago..left a pretty mark on my rear right wheel =((

Old 03-02-2006, 04:42 PM
The only damage I see so far is the front lip scratched up. Im sure I will need a wheel alignment. I hit pretty hard and expected to see alot more damage. The car seems to be built very sturdy.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:42 PM
ya, did that once...VDC off with wet road turning right @ 50km...slide, but I was trying to do slide...purposly...ya, I let go of the gas accientally...but lucky I did safe the car from curb...left...right...left...right a few time...it was scary...but funny.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:54 PM
hmm.. im a little uncomfortable with turning VDC off... I never owned RWD before this one.. I love it but not sure how it would feel without my trusty VDC lol... although I've only had the slip light come on once backing out of a snowy driveway.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Consider yourself fortunate. I did the same thing and screwed up 3 of my wheels and bent the back right wheel under the car. Had to replace a few bent suspension parts. Then the dang insurance company dragged their feet with the wheel repair, and I didn't have my G for over 3 weeks. Needless to say, I learned my lesson. Be careful guys...

Old 03-02-2006, 10:02 PM
damn, almost happened to me but on dry pavement. i surely will not push the VDC button when it's raining or in wet conditions...

sorry to hear about the damage but everyone learns from their mistakes, and im sure you did too

get the G fixed asap

Old 03-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by hwy_star
Wet road, I turned off traction control wanting to have fun going around the last corner until home. Big mistake. Going around the corner I gave it a little gas - to get a little slide action. The car spun around 180 and slammed into the opposite side curb and over it. How stupid I am.

lol same thing happpend to me...exactly! same last corner until my house.. it was a little wet on the ground. i went in at like 30mph (not even fast) and my tail flew to the other side. it spun 180...then i countersteered. but by the time i countersteered, i started to turn and then bam. i smacked the curb. popped my front tire ( had to pay 400 - theyre cheap tires too ) and scratched up my rim. now i have vdc on unless i REALLY REALLY NEED it.
i actually have a little more confidence in myself for lets say it happens again, i'll know what to do this time because i know what my mistake was. hopefully you do the same

Old 03-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
had a friend that racked up a $1,300 repair bill (mechanical alone) on his G35 Sedan from slamming into a curb during the rain.. passenger side front and rear wheels.. sideskirt is scrached, fender is scratched, rear splash guard is toast but it saved the rear bumper, and the 1/4 panel is dented (we all know how big sedan qtr panels are x.x).

Old 03-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Well I drove the car to work this morning and all seems to be fine. I cant believe that the car tracks straight and there is no wheel vibration! Reading your replies makes me feel very lucky. I have learned my lesson, dont give her much gas going around a corner with VDC off. Thanks for reading about my stupid mistake, its somehow nice to hear that others have done it too.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:03 AM

Lots of power in these cars...

Just messin.. well now you know for next time

Old 03-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Well I drove the car to work this morning and all seems to be fine. I cant believe that the car tracks straight and there is no wheel vibration! Reading your replies makes me feel very lucky. I have learned my lesson, dont give her much gas going around a corner with VDC off. Thanks for reading about my stupid mistake, its somehow nice to hear that others have done it too.
i would still have the car checked for any unseen damage.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Live and learn. Good thing no one was hurt. Next time I suggest going to an empty parking lot or auto-x. It will help you learn the limits of the car.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it happen to me too
bend the back and front rims
and crack the front spoiler
for now on I leave the track on
verything is fixed..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rookie move - slid into curb