G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Water in trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water in trunk

hi guys, have any of you guys experienced water getting into your trunk? I did a search and i could not find any threads.Water is getting on the inside corners of my trunk. It seems to go in when it rains, so im assuming its comming in from the bottom or from the tail lights...

any help is appreciated?

tia

Old 04-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had that issue. It turned out that the area around the XM wire was not sealed properly. Dealer fixed it in no time and for free.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:20 PM
TLS
Spoiler? Mine has a leak somewhere on the trunk lid when I install my spoiler , everytime I wash my car and open the lid water starts pouring out from the 2 little hole near the trunk latch. But none gets inside the car though.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:46 PM
i have been having this problem ever since i got my rear 1/4 panel replaced after an accident. i tried pouring water down the rear glass with the trunk open, and found water dripping off the inside ceiling of the trunk on both sides, just to the left and right of the trunk lid opening.

it has been to the body shop like 4 times for this and every time they tell me it's fixed, it comes back. the most recent time the replaced the rear window seal completely.... it was ok for like a week and now it's back.

my problem is almost exactly as you describe. i get wet spots on my trunk mat in the corners of the trunk, more severe on the right but alittle on the left too.

please let me know if you make any progress, and i will try to do the same

Old 04-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by SI_G35Coupe
i have been having this problem ever since i got my rear 1/4 panel replaced after an accident. i tried pouring water down the rear glass with the trunk open, and found water dripping off the inside ceiling of the trunk on both sides, just to the left and right of the trunk lid opening.

it has been to the body shop like 4 times for this and every time they tell me it's fixed, it comes back. the most recent time the replaced the rear window seal completely.... it was ok for like a week and now it's back.

my problem is almost exactly as you describe. i get wet spots on my trunk mat in the corners of the trunk, more severe on the right but alittle on the left too.

wow we do have the same problem, mine was also hit, but my panel was not replaced.. im gonna have someone pour water on the top and ima look from the inside... im scared im going to get rust in the inside...

Old 04-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by G8RDave
I had that issue. It turned out that the area around the XM wire was not sealed properly. Dealer fixed it in no time and for free.
When i got the car, i noticed that the cut out for the XM ant. seemed a little sloppy, over sized for what was needed. Was that the problem you had or was it the wiring for the XM inside the trunk. If so, didn't it mess up your xm unit?

I once had a problem with my trunk getting wet and damp everytime it rained (my old maxima). I finally figured out that there is a drain plug in the spare tire well that was missing. There was a pool of water in my spare tire space. Both made from nissan so our G's might have something similar... if you've ever done work w/ the spare, it doesn't hurt to check it.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by jclit
wow we do have the same problem, mine was also hit, but my panel was not replaced.. im gonna have someone pour water on the top and ima look from the inside... im scared im going to get rust in the inside...
the first time around i actually didn't notice the leaking until i pulled the trunk carpet and plastic out to do some audio work and noticed water pooled up near the bose amp. it was starting to corrode the cooling fins on the Bose amp and i did notice alittle light surface rust down there on the panels.

that's actually what the shop told me they did to test it. they put a guy in the backseat and thru the trunk pass thru and let him watch for drips while they sprayed down the car.

during my own informal testing i saw the water dripping but i couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from since it seemed to be dripping down a part of the car's frame from somewhere else

Old 04-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Ouch... i hope all your electronics and wiring are still okay. You should be able to get compensation from the body shop if anything is messed up or rusting/corroding. Help offset the cost of your audio system.

Best of luck to you guys in getting rid of the problem.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Wow, I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I got into a major fender bender where my driver quarter panel was replaced along with some major trunk body work. I had leaks in my trunk on the drivers side. After months of frustration, I finally (so far so good, knock on wood...) found the problem and fixed it. Because of the accident my trunk had to be replaced and water was leaking through the bolt assembly holes that connect the trunk hood to the trunk. The body shop put some kind of weatherproofing foam within the bolts before tightening. I noticed that the foam wasn't sealing right on my drivers side. I placed some silicon sealant around the bolt assemblies and so far, no leak. Tested it in heavy rains that night.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:48 PM
ok so lemme start a list of possible locations for the water entry and possible fixes:

1. around the bolt holes where the trunk lid hinges are attached - fixed by silicon sealant around the bolts

2. rear window seal - replace OEM weather seal around the rear window

3. XM/Sirius Antenna Pass Thru - fix probably same as above

jclit, i'm going to take a look at those bolts holding the trunk lid hinges as kaloman has just suggested... hopefully it's something that simple

Old 04-11-2006, 10:16 PM
ya ok sounds good.. mines coming somewhere from the top because the carpet lining is getting wet also, i will look tommorow and let everyone know.

ok so lemme start a list of possible locations for the water entry and possible fixes:

1. around the bolt holes where the trunk lid hinges are attached - fixed by silicon sealant around the bolts

2. rear window seal - replace OEM weather seal around the rear window

3. XM/Sirius Antenna Pass Thru - fix probably same as above

jclit, i'm going to take a look at those bolts holding the trunk lid hinges as kaloman has just suggested... hopefully it's something that simple

Old 04-12-2006, 12:26 AM
THE BATMOBILE
Originally Posted by TLS
Spoiler? Mine has a leak somewhere on the trunk lid when I install my spoiler , everytime I wash my car and open the lid water starts pouring out from the 2 little hole near the trunk latch. But none gets inside the car though.

+1......its so annoying those 2 drops run down the entire rear bumper

Old 08-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just got an 06 MT sedan; and I have a leak in the trunk. It appears to be coming from around the passenger side tail light. I don't have a spoiler, and it doesnt seem to matter if the trunk is open or not. I'm going to contact the dealership and see what they say. I'm glad to know this seems to be a somewhat common issue.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:30 PM

I have this EXACT problem in my TL. good news is, there needs to be a A LOT of water in order for a wet spot to appear... (when i wash the car etc.)... during normal rainy days, i don't really notice too much.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:55 PM
haha your name is jclit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Water in trunk