G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

is Infiniti coming out with an SMG type tran

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is Infiniti coming out with an SMG type tran

Audi has DSG, BMW has SMG, do you think Infiniti will try and match these two competitors??

Old 09-10-2003, 01:23 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: is Infiniti coming out with an SMG type tran

Maybe on a GTR only, if at all.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 09-10-2003, 12:43 PM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure that a while back I saw pics of the g35 with an 8 speed paddle shifter and a CVT tranny. Something probably only aviliable in Japan. They keep all the good ish. If I can find the pic I'll post it later.

Old 09-11-2003, 01:45 AM

Ya I know what pic you are talking about it was in a topic under peoples custom navi pics from Japan and one of the cars had a paddle shifter which I would like to have.

Old 09-11-2003, 06:33 PM

paddle shiters are only avilbile on the CVT transmission which is only sold in japan. It mimics 8 gears. Kinda a dumb concept with a CVT transmision. THere would be no reason to shift in a CVT thats the hole poin of it. BUt i do like SMG transmissions and that would be great if they put a real SMG in a coupe

You forgot the 'f' in 'shift'. -Ryo<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ryoken on 09/15/03 09:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS

VWAG comes out w/ tiptronic tranny (remember among many others, VW owns Porsche and Audi), many years ago- known today as manumatic or lock-up torque converter- essentially an auto with driver controlled shifting. Simple, yet very effective. Right from the start, 911s are posting better times w/ tiptronic trannies, which yield shifts faster than pro drivers can make with a manual. Many, including Infiniti, use this system. However, for race use, system is heavy and in relative terms, slow. On cars like the Vanquish, Enzo, and SMG BMWs, the system is more akin to a manual, with electrohydraulic clutch assist when changing gears, and as such, it has been tough to soften up shifts, especially when in the "auto" mode. My most recent reading has the Vanquish (magnetti-marelli gearbox) and Lambo Gallardo being most successful in this department. The system seems better suited to F1 cars and the race track. As a GT, many enthusiasts have booed the Ferrari 575M for having said system w/paddles. Audi has come up with a "double clutch" system, "DSG" which "preloads" the next gear it thinks you will use, so as to make shifts buttery smooth. Only complaint I've read is that if you change your mind (i.e decide to downshift to pass, when it thinks you were going to upshift in accelerating), the gearshifts are painfully slow. That said, I've read that BMW, whose SMG rattles fillings loose and has single-handedly fronted the chiropractic industry, is now seriously considering a DSG-like system to replace their SMG in future M cars. To summarize there are variants on 3 basic systems. All have pros and cons. The industry as a whole seems well away yet from deciding one is best, though Audi's system seems to be garnering a lot of attention. Any of these systems can have any actuation method- paddles, buttons, shifter.
My best bet is that 6 years from now the G will have a DSG with paddles.
For now, you can take comfort in the following: My buddy is in the market for a new car. He is a true enthusiast, has raced motorbikes for 20 years, at the pro level (thus understands well chassis balance and the impact a tranny has on this), but also recognises the need for practicality. Money is not an object, and he is a real Bimmer fan. He has driven the M3 AMG and M5 at length. He's driven a dozen and a half other cars in that price bracket, ranging from the new s60R to the S4 and TT, the Merc C32 AMG to Lexus SC, to Lincoln LS , down to Acura TL Type S... Of all the cars he's driven, hands down, it's his opinion that the G35 coupe AT tranny is the best non-manual he has driven, based upon response, selectivity, gear-change delivery, engine management, all of which contribute to chassis balance, and ultimately to controllability. One opinion, but one that is unbiased towards the G.

DB

Old 09-12-2003, 12:55 AM

I hope it helps

http://www.motormagazinesha.co.jp/me...29/car.html#06

'04 G35 coupe/5 A/T/Diamond Graphite/Graphite/Premium Pkg/Performance Wheel Pkg.[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2003, 01:47 AM

Is there any way to get smg or a paddle shifter installed in our cars? Is there anyway to make the G35 sedans auto like the coupes auto?

Old 09-15-2003, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get an Audi A4 3.0 CVT here now. It's got a CVT with a fake 6-speed manual mode. Gimmic, really. CVT's perform better when left in "D" than when you shift for yourself.

Really weird to drive though.. Gun it from a stop, and the engine just kinda gets "stuck" at a particular RPM (3600 or whatever) while the car keeps accelerating.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter