G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

damn 350z

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by papagz
yea us LA Ca guys have it the worst. if we can live w/ a clutch in this traffic, pretty much anyone can! the gearing on the 6MT is much more aggressive once we get to 3rd. its a whole new game. 5AT can go upto 95 mph in 3rd manumatic, 6MT goes to about 83....
yes..at the top end 120+mph it will be a different story...

Old 05-01-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by SDG
You 6MT owners are in a wishful coma. Every report I can find shows the 0-60 and 0-100 times are about the same, 0.2s and 0.3s faster respectively at the most. And these numbers assume a perfect launch and perfect shifting from the manual driver. The auto makes the same number every time. So if you drive it perfect, never miss a gear or optimum shift point then yeah you are faster, but not much.

Only 'go-fast' mods on my AT are the 5/16" spacer and z-tube/CAI and I've "compared" my car to only one 6mt coupe, (year unknown, mine is 03) We 'compared' cars 3 times. First one w/ VDC ON (yeah oops!) in man-matic, lost. Turned off the VDC and 2nd time in manu-matic, won and 3rd time in D, won.

All that said I love the stick shift too guys, I really miss it. If I didn't commute my G on the lovely congested freeways here I would have bought manual
Right so the manual and auto might be similar and in regular driving conditions you wont notice much of a difference .... but where is the fun in it(auto) ? You know what I am talking about as you wrote you had and miss the mt. It really all boils down to your preference and desire to drive the mt in traffic. I dont really mind. Now 20 years from now (im 27) ... that might be a different story. But just to add, I had an 03 AT for almost 3 years before I got my MT, and yes there is a difference when you WOT both. My favourite gears were 2nd and 3rd in the AT, in the MT its 2nd, 3rd and 4th, cant really drive in 1st lol.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
I commute in congested freeways all the time and i enjoy pressing the clutch 10000000 times and never get tired of it.

As far as 5AT has similar accelaration as 6MT i hate to say it is not true . Only similarity that they have in acceration is 1st and 2nd gear.One day race a 6MT on highway from 60-100 u will know what i am talking about.
Have you ever really been to a drag strip? I see you making all these comments that are at odds with my own experiences.

My car is roughly 4mph faster through the traps than my wife's 04 5AT in the 1/8th mile. In the 1/4 mile, it's still about 4mph faster, but the difference is slightly less than in the 1/8th. In the last 1/8th mile, I on average gain 21.95mph. My wife on the other hand, gains about 22.1mph. Very slight difference, but it shows that relative to the 1/8th mile traps, she is out accelerating me. In other words, if we both raced from an 80mph roll, were both in the correct gear at optimum rpm, and hit it at the exact same time, she would slowly pull away from me. I'm not talking about driver variables here, just pure mechanics.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
^im just stating that from my own experiance with variious fuel levels in the gas tank. Me and my friend did this experiment for both of us to get those questions strait. It took us about an our to do that experiment. 1am on open highway various 60-100 runs. Between my car and auto G35..

60 mph on 6mt is 3rd gear about 5k rpm and at the same time on autos its around 4.5k that means till 80 mph the 6mt is going to have noticable pull. Let's go on to 4rth gear on 6MT wich is about at 80-85 mph. when u shift to 4rth on a 6mt or at more than 5k rpm at the same time the auto is on his peak power on the 3rd gear. and will stay with 6mt for about 5 mph. After auto shifts to 4rth the rpm drop is way more than the 6mt. Long story short 6MT has better power output than 5AT at any speed.

this run were all done with 2004 auto and 2004 6mt.

And yes i have been to dragstrips numerous times and raced a auto G35 with dual exhaust, intake, headers, and some other engine mods with my back then bone stock 6MT. I was consistantly pulling 0.2 seconds better times than he was.

Old 05-02-2006, 02:21 AM
SDG
60 mph on 6mt is 3rd gear about 5k rpm and at the same time on autos its around 4.5k that means till 80 mph the 6mt is going to have noticable pull.
5AT I verified with my own car
60mph in 3rd gear @ 3800rpm

Unless you mean 2nd gear...which I can get to 60 in 2nd gear right at the rev limit. So your numbers don't jive.

Let's go on to 4rth gear on 6MT wich is about at 80-85 mph. when u shift to 4rth on a 6mt or at more than 5k rpm at the same time the auto is on his peak power on the 3rd gear. and will stay with 6mt for about 5 mph. After auto shifts to 4rth the rpm drop is way more than the 6mt. Long story short 6MT has better power output than 5AT at any speed.
80mph is not peak power for the auto in 3rd gear

And yes i have been to dragstrips numerous times and raced a auto G35 with dual exhaust, intake, headers, and some other engine mods with my back then bone stock 6MT. I was consistantly pulling 0.2 seconds better times than he was.
And the fact that in published data the times are 0.2s/0.3s difference in the 0-60/0-100mph AT vs MT leads to only two possibilities. There was something horribly wrong with this guys car or ... ?

Old 05-02-2006, 02:38 AM
how about a 350z AT vs. g35 AT? i got a g my buddy's got a z. hes a 03 i'm an 05. Z: custom y-back exhaust, ingen CAI. ME: 1/2 MD spacer, Ztube, k&n drop in filter, crawford high flow cats, soon to come: 10 wire grounding kit, and DIY port and polish plenum. whos gonna take who??

Old 05-02-2006, 04:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SDG
5AT I verified with my own car
60mph in 3rd gear @ 3800rpm
Even worse.
Originally Posted by SDG
Unless you mean 2nd gear...which I can get to 60 in 2nd gear right at the rev limit. So your numbers don't jive.
80mph is not peak power for the auto in 3rd gear
My numbers are ruff estimates regarding the rpms on each gear. The bottom line is when u shift in any gear in 6mt u go to higher rpm into next gear than that of auto.

Originally Posted by SDG
And the fact that in published data the times are 0.2s/0.3s difference in the 0-60/0-100mph AT vs MT leads to only two possibilities. There was something horribly wrong with this guys car or ... ?
I don't care about the magazine numbers i am talking about real life numbers, and no there is nothing wrong with other guys car. Anyone that needs a proof i will be more than happy to help u out in real life.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by aleok
how about a 350z AT vs. g35 AT? i got a g my buddy's got a z. hes a 03 i'm an 05. Z: custom y-back exhaust, ingen CAI. ME: 1/2 MD spacer, Ztube, k&n drop in filter, crawford high flow cats, soon to come: 10 wire grounding kit, and DIY port and polish plenum. whos gonna take who??

why dont u just race him and report back to us??

But back to the subject about AT vs MT, what if the AT had the 3.5 final drive? Would that make up the difference of the MT or will AT need a tall gear like the 3.7 or the 3.9 final drive to compensate for the increase of drivetrain loss?

Old 05-02-2006, 06:50 PM
SDG
Even worse.
You dont know me or my car and thats insulting. I took stuff I read and compared to my car and it matches.

My numbers are ruff estimates regarding the rpms on each gear. The bottom line is when u shift in any gear in 6mt u go to higher rpm into next gear than that of auto.
Your detailed technical explanation turned to 'ruff estimates' pretty quickly, besides 4500 is not roughly 3800.

I don't care about the magazine numbers i am talking about real life numbers, and no there is nothing wrong with other guys car. Anyone that needs a proof i will be more than happy to help u out in real life.
Road and Track, Car and Driver etc. They live by their reputation. Tests conducted with professional drivers and measuring equipment. The cars are inspected before and after. They are so certain that they publish their data for national ridicule if incorrect. Somehow this data is supposed to be less convincing than your questionable story at the track? I don't think so. Especially when anyone here with actual times/data posted anything it mostly all jives. No way that an auto gets redone from intake to exhaust and 'some other engine mods' and it still gets worked over by the stock manual. You want to talk about how you can kick our a$$ through the windy roads with your stick shift I can get on board with that, but this track story ...stinks!

Old 05-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Have you ever really been to a drag strip? I see you making all these comments that are at odds with my own experiences.

My car is roughly 4mph faster through the traps than my wife's 04 5AT in the 1/8th mile. In the 1/4 mile, it's still about 4mph faster, but the difference is slightly less than in the 1/8th. In the last 1/8th mile, I on average gain 21.95mph. My wife on the other hand, gains about 22.1mph. Very slight difference, but it shows that relative to the 1/8th mile traps, she is out accelerating me. In other words, if we both raced from an 80mph roll, were both in the correct gear at optimum rpm, and hit it at the exact same time, she would slowly pull away from me. I'm not talking about driver variables here, just pure mechanics.
Your running 4 mph faster than her.. of course she might get more out of the big end cause your running into more resistance than her... and your talking .1 MPH here.. that could be cause u have 5 more gallons in the tank....

Old 05-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by JaxGman
Your running 4 mph faster than her.. of course she might get more out of the big end cause your running into more resistance than her... and your talking .1 MPH here.. that could be cause u have 5 more gallons in the tank....
If it were just one run, I could see your point. But comparing 30 or so timeslips over almost a year of ownership indicates that up top, we're just about even.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by SDG
Road and Track, Car and Driver etc. They live by their reputation. Tests conducted with professional drivers and measuring equipment. The cars are inspected before and after. They are so certain that they publish their data for national ridicule if incorrect. Somehow this data is supposed to be less convincing than your questionable story at the track? I don't think so.
I used to think the same way, but now I find those magazines, even C&D, "less than credible." If you read the back of C&D, it states that numbers are obtained using a full tank of gas, with launches from multiple rpms, and full lifts during each shift. Also, C&D's numbers are supposedly corrected to standard atmo conditions.

<anecdote>
Late last year(the October issue I believe) included a comparison where the 05 6MT sedan finished third behind the lexus is350 and bmw330. In that article, C&D claimed to have obtained a 14.6 at something like 96mph in the quarter mile. The tests were conducted at high altitude in the California summer.

On my very first trip to the drag strip, in any car ever, I hit a 14.7@95.x on a nearly 100 degree, high humidity Alabama summer day. I was just getting used to driving stick again(never having owned a manual daily driver). There is no way that C&D's *corrected* times were less than 1 tenth and 1mph than my times as a rookie driver.
</anecdote>

Another thing that really bug me about mags' published numbers are the top-gear 30-50 and 50-70 runs. Almost always in a comparison of mixed tranny cars, the autos will often see times that are faster than the manuals. It's usually because the autos will downshift(that's what they do, after all). And the magazines almost universally fail to note this fact.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:36 PM
It still dont look like a G

The 350 will run but my brothers 300zxtt will leave that so all that it dont matter because nothing looks like the G35 Infinti needs to make a tt G35

Old 05-02-2006, 08:20 PM
suks...... go fi then race him.....

Old 05-02-2006, 08:33 PM
SDG
Originally Posted by WarriorG35
The 350 will run but my brothers 300zxtt will leave that so all that it dont matter because nothing looks like the G35 Infinti needs to make a tt G35
08 Skyline version is TT 450hp, heard from salesman today so take it for what its worth. Don't know anything about it myself. This could provide growth in the turbo arena for G35's and make them more common/less complicated/cheaper even. Theres hope!

Can we make it AWD while we're at it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: damn 350z